In recent years, the pressure to be a size zero and flaunt those toned abs is immense. Many of us turn to juice diets, starvation diets and all types of fad diets. We have unhealthy food habits in the hope of reaching that elusive size zero. As a result, anorexia emerges as one of the most common eating disorders.
But can anorexia affect infants as well? As incredible as it may sound it is true! How do you spot it? If your baby refuses to feed, could it mean that he has anorexia? Confused! Don’t be. Read our post on anorexia in infants and get the answers here.
What Is Infant Anorexia?
Infant anorexia is an eating disorder that occurs during the early stages after birth, up to a period of possibly three years. Your little one will refuse to take in food. If not treated, infant anorexia can influence your infant’s survival.
A study concludes that infant anorexia affects you more deeply than your infant. As he refuses to eat, you feel anxious and lose your will to eat. (1)
Causes Of Infant Anorexia:
There are many possible causes of anorexia in infants. We list some of them here.
- Many infants fail to eat well with distractions, and if this happens on a regular basis, your infant’s growth and development could take a hit.
- Abnormalities of the mouth may also affect his ability to eat food, which could lead to infant anorexia.
- Certain labor and childbirth medications or narcotics may affect his ability to suckle and take in food.
- A tight frenulum (whitish tissue under the tongue) can also interrupt your infant’s ability to suckle and take in food. (2)
- In the absence of proper nourishment, your baby may also develop certain health concerns, which will make you anxious.
- Furthermore, many-a-time, an impaired food intake can lead to underdeveloped organs, which your infant may carry for the rest of his life.
- Sometimes, your baby’s inability to feed may stem from certain physical pains that may occur, such as needle pricks, pains due to falls or even circumcision.
[ Read: Signs Of Baby Hunger Cues ]
Simple Tips To Help Your Infant Feed Better:
If your infant experiences trouble while eating or consuming food, seek immediate medical attention. Your doctor can prescribe several treatment options or therapy options for infantile anorexia treatment .
- Change your baby’s feeding schedule. Try feeding him for shorter durations throughout the day.
- If he refuses to consume breast milk, consider switching to other options like formula milk.
- Play games with your little one while you feed him and if he enjoys it, let him eat messily. It will relax him, and he will be able to feed well.
[ Read: Food Poisoning In Babies ]
- If your baby suffers from pain and that affects his diet, try distracting him while he feeds. It could help reduce his pain and relax him while he feeds.
- Sometimes, an underlying infection can affect your infant’s feeding habits. In such a scenario, seek immediate medical attention and follow your doctor’s instructions to help your little angel get well.
- Keep a track on your food intake. Try and notice if your infant refuses to eat on particular days when you consume something different or certain types of foods.
- Your doctor may also suggest painkillers to relieve any pain your infant feels. It will help relax him and feed well.
[ Read: Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants ]
We hope our post shed light on infantile anorexia, and how it can affect your little darling. Does your infant exhibit any symptoms of anorexia? Do you have any experiences to share with fellow moms here? Please tell us your story below.
- Galactosemia In Infants/Babies – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- 6 Causes And 5 Treatments Of Epilepsy In Babies
- Encephalitis In Babies – 9 Causes & 14 Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of
- 15 Tips To Help You Cope With Your Baby’s Witching Hour
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015