- What is cellulite?
- Is it normal to get cellulite during pregnancy?
- What causes cellulite in pregnancy?
- How to get rid of cellulite when pregnant?
- How to reduce cellulite post pregnancy?
Cellulite is a cosmetic issue and not a disease to worry about, although it can make one conscious about their body. Cellulite build up in the body can happen anytime from puberty, but it could be more prominent during pregnancy and towards menopause. The good news is that advancements in the field of cosmetics have opened the doors to various treatments and procedures that can help you get rid of the cellulite in your body.
What Is Cellulite?
Cellulite is a common dermal condition that develops in almost every woman. It is identified as a lump or a dimple with an orange-peel texture on the skin, mainly around the thighs, hips, buttocks, and the abdomen (1). This also gives it the name, the ‘orange peel syndrome’ (2).
Cellulite is usually visible on parts of the body that have more subcutaneous fat. It is a protrusion of fat tissues into the outer layer of the skin. It occurs when the collagen fiber that connects the fat to the skin, stretches, breaks down, or is tightly pulled, causing the fat to bulge out (3).
Is It Normal To Get Cellulite During Pregnancy?
It is normal to have cellulite during pregnancy. The body undergoes a lot of physical changes, and an increase in the subcutaneous fat can lead to the development of cellulite. More deposition of the fat ensures adequate availability of calories for pregnancy and lactation (4). Here are some other factors that contribute to cellulite during pregnancy (2).
- Hormonal changes
- Genetic factors
- Diet and lifestyle
[ Read: Body Changes During Pregnancy ]
What Causes Cellulite In Pregnancy?
How To Get Rid Of Cellulite When Pregnant?
Here are some ways to prevent or get rid of cellulite naturally or with medical treatments (2).
- Avoid the intake of foods that are high in calories.
- Add more fiber-rich foods such as vegetables and fruits in the diet.
- Lean meat and oily fish are great additions to the diet.
- Engage in some light exercises
- Avoid smoking
- Stay hydrated
Anti-cellulite lotions such as slimming lotions can be applied to the affected area to reduce its development and make it less evident. The main content of cellulite cream is caffeine, which is a diuretic and a xanthene.
It increases the blood flow in the targeted area and stimulates the cells to remove the excess fat (7). However, the use of caffeine and xanthenes is restricted during pregnancy due to their counter-effects. Hence, pregnant women are recommended to use it post pregnancy (8).
How To Reduce Cellulite Post Pregnancy?
There are various medical procedures for treating cellulite post pregnancy. Based on the skin condition, the dermatologist may suggest one of the following medical procedures:
- Cellfina: It is a non-invasive method (subsicion), wherein a very thin blade is used to break the fat under the skin by inserting it through a small incision. The affected area is slightly suctioned up using the cellfina device for inserting the blade without impacting the surrounding tissues. The results are visible within few days and last up to three years (9).
- Acoustic wave therapy: This therapy involves stimulation of the connective tissues of the affected area by using vibrations. This method aims at collagen remodeling, thereby improving the texture and appearance of the skin (10).
- Radiofrequency treatments: These therapies are a combination of tissue massage and radiofrequency technology that includes ultrasound, radial pulses to heat the skin, and infrared light for cellulite treatment (9).
- Cellulaze: It is a laser treatment method used to break the fat bands beneath the skin, by inserting a tiny laser probe. The fatty tissues are heated using laser that helps in releasing the fat, reducing the thickness of the fat layer, stimulating collagen production, and improving the elasticity and texture of the skin. The results can last for about one year.
[ Read: Simple Exercises To Do During Pregnancy ]
- Vacuum-assisted precise tissue release: In this procedure, a device with small blades is used to cut the tough bands beneath the skin to remove the excess fat. Its effect lasts for about three years (11).
- Laser-assisted liposuction: It is suitable for removing a small amount of fat. A laser treatment combined with liposuction is more suitable for cellulite treatment.
- Ionithermie cellulite reduction treatments: This is a spa treatment for the skin using algae or clay or a mixture of both. A mild electric current is then applied to the targeted areas using an electrode. It helps in reducing the size and appearance of the cellulite.
- Endermologie: This spa treatment involves deep massaging of the affected area by lifting your skin with a vacuum-like tool. This treatment needs several sessions, and the results can last for about 12 months. It can also cause some bruises.
- Carboxytherapy: It is another invasive method that involves inserting carbon dioxide under the skin. This method increases the blood flow in the targeted area, which helps in reducing the visibility of the cellulite. This procedure can cause a little discomfort and temporary bruises. However, the results are visible after seven to ten treatments (12).
- Cryolipolysis: It is a non-invasive procedure also known as Cool Sculpting. It involves fat removal by freezing the fat tissues and cells under the skin, to prevent any injuries to the skin.
This procedure needs to be done several times and needs around four to six months to show a noticeable difference (13). However, this method has been found effective in the removal of large fat pockets under the skin, but not the cellulite.
- Ultrasound: It is a non-invasive method that uses sound waves to remove the excess fat from the areas like thighs and abdomen. There is no evidence to prove its effectiveness, but ultrasound with another cellulite treatment may help in reducing the amount of cellulite.
Apart from the medical treatments, the natural way to treat cellulite is weight loss. By sticking to regular exercise routines and a healthy diet, you can shed the unwanted fat in the body.
[ Read: When Is 3D Ultrasound Done ]
Pregnancy leads to various physical changes in the body, which are essential in one way or the other. Cellulite could be a concern, but there are options to treat it post pregnancy. So don’t worry too much about it right now. Enjoy the new changes motherhood is going to bring your way.
Do you have any tips to prevent cellulite development during pregnancy? Share them with our readers in the comments section below.
2. What is cellulite?; Cellulite.org.uk (2019)
3. Cellulite; NIH (2019)
4. Rawlings AV; Cellulite and its treatment; NCBI (2006)
5. Daniel P Friedmann et al.; Cellulite: a review with a focus on subcision; NCBI (2017)
6. Marta Leszko; Cellulite in menopause; NCBI (2014)
7. Zięba Małgorzata, Witkiewicz Elżbieta; The Application Of Caffeine As Anti-Cellulite Component Of Body Lotion;
8. Sang-Young Byun et al.; Efficacy of Slimming Cream Containing 3.5% Water-Soluble Caffeine and Xanthenes for the Treatment of Cellulite: Clinical Study and Literature Review; NCBI (2015)
9. Cellulite treatments; The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
10. Katharina Russe-Wilflingseder, Elisabeth Russe; Acoustic Wave Treatment For Cellulite-A New Approach; ResearchGate (2019)
11. Cellulite treatments: What really works?; American Academy of Dermatology (2018)
12. Luana Ramalho Pianez et al.; Effectiveness of carboxytherapy in the treatment of cellulite in healthy women: a pilot study; NCBI (2016)
13. What is cryolipolysis?; American Society of Plastic Surgeons (2019)
- Pregnancy Hormones
- How To Do Kegel Exercises During Pregnancy
- Bleaching Facial Hair During Pregnancy
- Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy
Latest posts by shreeja pillai (see all)
- 15 Best nursing pads to buy in 2019 - August 29, 2019
- 9 Best Nursing Pajamas To Buy in 2019 - August 28, 2019
- 200 Most Common Surnames Or Last Names In Germany - August 26, 2019
- 15 Best Drum Sets For Kids To Buy In 2019 - August 20, 2019
- 17 Best Hair Dryers For Girls To Buy In 2019 - August 7, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Winter Hats To Buy In 2019 - August 6, 2019
- 15 Best Guitars To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 15 Best Water Tables To Buy For Kids In 2019 - August 1, 2019
- 11 Simple Tips To Improve Your Child's Handwriting - July 31, 2019
- 21 Best Sports Shoes To Buy For Kids In 2019 - July 26, 2019