Is the thought of your baby’s vaccination date being around the corner giving you sleepless nights? Are you a new mommy who sheds tears every time you see your baby in pain after shots? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
Being poked with a needle is no fun, and the word ‘vaccine’ is enough to remind you of the horror you experienced while getting immunized as a child. However, vaccination is critical to safeguard the health of children. If you’re worried sick thinking about your baby’s distress and are looking for some simple tips to manage pain after vaccination for babies better, you’ve come to the right place. Want to know more? Read on!
Possible Side Effects Of Vaccination:
Some babies may suffer from the following side effects after vaccination:
- High temperature
- Redness and swelling at the site of the injection
- Tenderness at the spot
If these side effects concern you, don’t hesitate to get your child examined by a medical professional. The doctor will probably prescribe certain medications to cure the fever and other symptoms. (1)
[ Read: Signs Of Baby Hunger Cues ]
Tips To Manage The Pain After Vaccination For Babies:
Check out here 6 effective ways on how to relieve baby pain from shots.
1. Get Some Quiet Time:
Babies may become irritated and drowsy, and may even refuse to eat for a few hours after being vaccinated. In such a situation, you should plan some quiet activities at home. Keep the temperature of the room cool and comfortable, and make sure your baby is wearing loose and breathable clothing. (2)
[ Read: Tips To Deal With Your Whiny Baby ]
2. Hold Your Baby:
Staying near your baby, holding him close while he gets the shot can help in keeping him calm. Hold your baby’s upper arm and provide him some comfort while he’s getting the prick.
3. Feed Your Baby:
In fact, babies who breastfeed during vaccination cry less. Experts believe that this is because babies live in the ‘moment’, and they can switch from ‘hurt’ to ‘food’ quickly. Feeding your baby after the vaccination session could also help alleviate the pain. (3)
[ Read: How To Soothe A Crying Baby ]
4. Use A Cool Compress:
Another effective way to provide pain relief for babies after shots is to apply a clean, cool washcloth on the sore area. It will help reduce the soreness and tenderness around the site of the injection. If the situation doesn’t improve in 24 hours, you may want to get your baby examined by a doctor. (4)
5. Try The Distraction Game:
One of the best ways to help your baby calm down after being vaccinated is to distract him. Bring him a new gift or a toy that will grab his attention for a while. You could also try switching the TV on, to distract him from his pain. Playing a game of peek-a-boo could also help.
6. Sugar Power:
Sugar could help babies take medication readily and could also reduce the intensity of the ‘sting’ associated with vaccination. The sweet trick is particularly helpful for babies under six months of age. You could try feeding your baby a little sugar water before he gets vaccinated or dip his pacifier in some sugar water and let him suck it. (5)
In most cases, babies may cry a little after being vaccinated, but they settle down after a cuddle and some calm moments.
Remember, parental concern during a baby’s vaccination also plays a major role in increasing the baby’s distress. So next time you take your baby for a prick remain calm and focus on the importance of the shot rather than the temporary pain your baby may feel.
We hope these tips will help you comfort your delicate baby pain after vaccination.
What did you do to distract your baby after a prick? Do share your tips with us in the comments box below.
- 6 Helpful Tips To Deal With A Clingy Baby
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep
- 11 Simple Steps To Soothe Nose Bleeding In Babies
- 4 Useful Ways To Treat Dehydration In Babies
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015