Now that you are pregnant do you find it difficult to hold down food? Are you worried that you are not eating properly and it could harm your baby and you?
If you are facing any of the issues mentioned above, doing things a little differently might help. Read on to know what is causing these pregnancy food aversions and what you can do about them.
What Causes Food Aversions During Pregnancy?
When you are pregnant, your body goes through a lot of hormonal changes. It causes nausea and morning sickness that can happen at any time of the day or night. In addition, you may feel uncomfortable due to certain smells of food and even the food you liked earlier can make you feel repulsive. You may experience food repulsion and nausea in different forms on different days. On some days, the repulsion could be mild, whereas on other days it could be severe and nauseating. 1
How To Overcome Food Aversion During Pregnancy:
Even though you know you have to eat well when you are pregnant, you may not always be able to do so. Here are a few tips that can help fight that nausea and food aversion:
1. Vitamin B6:
- Taking vitamin B6 supplements can help fight off nausea and prevent morning sickness. 
- You can safely take the supplements while you are pregnant, but make sure you speak to your doctor first.
- Ideally, you should take a dosage of, 25 mg three times a day,or as per your doctor’s advice .Make sure that the dosage does not exceed 100 mg a day, as it can cause damage to the nervous system.
[ Read: Vitamin B6 for Pregnant Women ]
2. Eat Light And What You Feel Like:
- Eating what you want can help ward off nausea.
- When you feel repulsed by food, the best way to tackle the problem is to eat what does not repulse you.
- Make sure you try a few healthy eating options that you know, which will not cause or worsen your nausea.
- Try eating light and in small portions to avoid throwing up.
- Avoid foods that you know may repulse you. Stay away from people or places where you know you cann’t smell the offenisve foods.
3. Start Prenatal Vitamins A Little Early: 
- Most women suffer from nausea caused by their prenatal vitamins.
- Once you plan to conceive, ask your doctor if it is okay to start on prenatal vitamins even before you are pregnant.
- Starting your prenatal vitamins a little early in advance can help to cut down your chances of nausea.
- If you have started them in pregnancy and are facing nausea, make sure you don’t have them on an empty stomach.
Ask your doctor if you can take the prenatal vitamins at night so that you can sleep through the symptoms. Or you could have half in the morning and the remaining half at night.
4. Include Ginger In Your Daily Routine: 
- Ginger is known to help with nausea and can prevent or ease your food aversions during pregnancy.
- You can steep it in boiling water and sip on this water throughout the day to ease nausea and food aversions.
- Add ginger to your regular tea and include it in your main dishes and salads and soups.
- Check with your doctor how much ginger is safe to take, as taking it in excess can cause complications.
- One of the most important things to do while you are pregnant is to rest well.
- When you rest and have a good sleep, your body heals back through the many changes it is facing.
- If you can’t sleep properly during pregnancy, lie down and close your eyes. You can also rest with your eyes closed during break time at your work place.
Food aversion in pregnancy is normal part that will subside as your pregnancy progresses. If you feel it is creating too much interference in your daily habits, make sure you speak to your doctor about it.
Did you face food aversions in your pregnancy? What did you do about it? Do share your experience here.
- Top 10 Remedies For Bloating During Pregnancy
- 5 Effective Measures To Prevent Indigestion During Pregnancy
- Top 5 Ways To Deal Fainting and Dizziness During Pregnancy
- Diarrhea In Pregnancy – Signs, Causes And Treatments
- What Causes Vomiting During Pregnancy & 17 Remedies To Keep It At Bay
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016