Do you have a teen at home who is keen to explore special relationships? Are you worried about how you can ensure your teen’s relationships are healthy and safe? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea!
Parenting a teen can be a little tricky, especially if you want to ensure that she is open and honest with you. The topic of a relationship is delicate, so make sure you don’t sound too controlling while discussing it. Want to know about six practical mantras for teaching teens about healthy relationships? Read on!
Six Tips For Healthy Teen Relationships:
Here are six tips that will help you know how to promote healthy relationships for teens:
1. Respect Your Partner:
A healthy relationship is one where both partners respect each other.
- Teach your teen how to respect a partner.
- It is okay to not agree with the partner’s decision, but yelling or shouting back is a strict no-no.
- Teach your teen to understand and value her partner’s feelings.
[ Read: Parenting Teenagers ]
2. Private Space:
This is one of the best ways to ensure teen healthy relationships. All healthy relationships should allow space for the individuals.
- Tell your teen that being in a relationship does not mean sharing all activities and time together.
- Your teen or her partner may want to spend some time alone, with friends or go on a road trip. It is perfectly alright to want to spend some solo time.
- In fact, giving the partner a little private space helps the relationship grow strong and mature.
3. Abuse Is Not Okay:
Unfortunately, most teens end up in an abusive relationship without realizing it.
- Teach your teen about the first signs of abuse and how to stop it in the initial phase. Abuse can be in various forms – a hit, slap, push, shout, and threat. It can also be in the form of non-consensual intimacy.
- Your teen may feel guilty and even think that she rightfully deserves it. Teach your teen that no form of abuse is acceptable, even if your teen feels it was just a one-off thing.
- Tell your teen how to respond to an abusive situation. She should inform you at the slightest hint of abuse.
4. Compromise, But Not Always:
There is a difference between compromise and manipulation.
- Help your teen to know the difference between compromising and bullying.
- A healthy relationship is one where both the partners compromise and have their individual way too.
- Make sure your teen compromises and adjusts, but not all the time.
5. Safe Sex:
Unwanted pregnancy and related complications are common concerns of teens today.
- Teach your teen all about safe sex. Stress on the need to always use a condom during sex. If you feel you are not comfortable discussing it, ask your partner to talk about it.
- Educate your teen about the various methods to avoid a pregnancy.
- If your teen shared sexual intimacy without protection, tell her to confide in you. Use a home pregnancy test kit to find out if she is pregnant. You should also schedule an appointment with the doctor. Assure your teen that a doctor will not be judgmental and will guide her best.
- Educate your teen about the dangerous results of unsafe abortions.
[ Read: Teaching Life Skills To Teenagers ]
6. Accept Each Other:
Tell your teen that it is important to fall in love with the person for what they are.
- Your teen needs to know that being in a relationship means accepting the other person completely.
- It is okay to want to change certain unhealthy habits of a partner, like too much drinking, rash driving, excessive smoking, etc. However, your teen should know that trying too hard to change a partner’s ways can lead to arguments and unhappiness.
- It is better to choose a relationship wisely than to try and change it later.
It is perfectly normal for your child to experiment with people and relationships during the teen years. Make sure you are not judgmental and keep the communication channels open with your teen. Always be there for your teen and show your support and concern.
How did you broach the topic of healthy teen relationships? Please share your tips and advice with us.
- 10 Important Conflict Resolution Skills For Teenagers
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decision
- 8 Simple Tips To Talk With Your Teenagers In The Right Way
- 3 Amazing Activities To Improve Your Teenager’s Self Esteem
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016