Are you a pregnant woman who is suffering from tongue sores? Wondering what you can do to heal the condition? Then this post can help you.
Read on to know all about tongue sores during pregnancy and how you can treat them!
Causes Of Tongue Sores During Pregnancy:
Following are some of the reasons that cause painful sore tongue during pregnancy:
Many ladies develop tulcers on tongue in pregnancy during periods of heightened stress. So, if you want to avoid this tongue disorder during your special phase of life, then avoid stress as much as you can.
Excessive smoking causes irritation in your tongue and makes it sore. Quit smoking to avoid the chances of developing tongue sores. Not only this, but smoking has other harmful effects as well on your growing foetus.
If you accidentally bite your tongue or eat something that is extremely hot, then you will develop a tongue sore. Also, if you grind or clench your teeth, it can also irritate the sides of the tongue and cause pain.
- Medical Conditions:
If you have certain medical conditions viz. diabetes and anaemia then too you are likely to develop a tongue sore.
- Enlarged papillae:
If your taste buds are inflamed or irritated, they swell and form a painful bump on your tongue.
- Oral Cancer:
Most of the times tongue sores are nothing to worry about, but you should consult a doctor if you have a lump or sore on your tongue that is persistent for a considerable time. Oral cancer does not show its symptoms in the early stages. Thus, if there is no pain, and you still have tongue sores, then do not take things lightly at all and go for an immediate check-up.
- Viral Infection:
Tongue sores are also caused due to a viral infection.
- Iron And Vitamin Deficiency:
Tongue sores are sometimes the result of vitamin and iron deficiency.
Symptoms Of Tongue Sores During Pregnancy:
Following are the symptoms of pregnancy tongue sores:
- Bumps on the tongue.
- Coated or white colored tongue.
- Painful sores that are common on or under the tongue, though they can appear anywhere in the mouth.
- Irregular red patches.
- White lines on the tongue.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Mouth Ulcers In Pregnancy ]
Home Remedies For Tongue Sores During Pregnancy:
Here are some of the home remedies for sores on tongue during pregnancy:
- Certain Medications:
For pain related to the tongue, over-the-counter pain-relief medications such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) may help.
You can use ice to alleviate pain if you have a tongue sore.
However, such home remedies provide only temporary relief. Thus, do consult your doctor if you develop the symptoms of a tongue sore to avoid further complications.
Treating Tongue Sores During Pregnancy:
Following are some of the treatment methods for tongue ulcers during pregnancy:
If you have developed tongue sores during pregnancy, then your doctor will suggest you some antibiotics to treat them and reduce their further growth.
In some cases, surgery is required. The aggravated tongue sores are treated by surgical removal.
In some cases, doctors treat tongue sores through radiation.
[ Read: Anemia During Pregnancy ]
Preventing Tongue Sores During Pregnancy:
Following are some of the preventive measures you can take during pregnancy, in order to avoid tongue sores:
- Oral Hygiene:
The best way to prevent any tongue ailment is to maintain oral hygiene.
- Balanced Diet:
Sometimes tongue sores appear due to nutritional deficiencies in the body. Thus, you should take a balanced diet that will not only prevent tongue sores but will also help in the normal growth of your baby.
Did you also develop tongue sores during pregnancy? If yes, then how did you treat them? How long did you take to recover? Share your story with us by dropping a comment below.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome During Pregnancy
- Bad Breath During Pregnancy
- Blood Pressure During Pregnancy
- Stomach Flu While Pregnant
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- Roseola In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - November 30, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Sodium Citrate During Pregnancy? - November 26, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Turnip During Pregnancy? - November 23, 2015
- Is Vanilla Extract Safe During Pregnancy? - November 17, 2015
- Tay-Sachs Disease In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Ventricular Septal Defect In Children - All You Need To Know - October 31, 2015
- Color Blindness In Toddlers - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - October 21, 2015
- Hot Flashes In Children - Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - September 21, 2015
- Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - September 15, 2015
- Port Wine Stains On Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - September 14, 2015