Storytelling is a traditional art followed by our forefathers. It is something that can be enjoyed during babyhood up to early teens.
Unfortunately, our children are born in a media-centric age where television and the internet have taken priority over these simple pleasures and these early experiences of childhood are slowly fading from their lives.
Storytelling has tremendous benefits for your child’s development. Children love a good story, especially those that end with a moral.
Benefits Of Storytelling:
Story telling has many benefits like:
- It helps children develop good language and comprehension skills.
- For younger children, listening to the storyteller’s words helps them learn pronunciation.
- It nurtures their inner imagination and creativity.
- It helps in expanding their limited vocabulary.
- The whole idea of a story being told, from the plot to the end, creates a magical experience for children.
- Storytelling can be used as a medium to explain complex topics like friendship, fear and love and also about cultures and life philosophies.
- Children can also learn the difference between good and bad through the characters or their deeds in the story. This in turn can help them make right decisions in real life situations.
- Also, stories are best when they have an interesting moral in the end. These are a huge hit with children and they can reap huge benefits from listening to such stories.
[ Read: Lion And Jackal Story ]
One such story with a good moral is the “Town mouse and the Country mouse.”
The Town Mouse And The Country Mouse Story:
Short stories like this one are always entertaining and interesting for children, the story goes like this:
- One day the town mouse visits his cousin the country mouse at his house in the country.
- There, the country mouse, who is excited to play host to the town mouse, serves a humble dinner with beans, bacon, cheese and some bread.
- The town mouse with a lot of pride isn’t happy about what his country cousin has served him and asks how he can live in such poor and deprived conditions.
- The town mouse, wanting to show the country mouse how to live life, invites the country mouse back to his place and the country mouse accepts his invitation.
- They travelled all day long and reached the town mouse’s house late at night. The town mouse took him straight to the grand dining room.
- There, the country mouse was amazed to see remains of a fine feast and soon he found himself indulging in jellies and cakes.
- Just as the country mouse was enjoying his food, they were interrupted by a loud noise that seemed liked growling and barking.
- When the country mouse asked his town cousin what that was, he replied they were just dogs. Soon as he could finish his sentence, in came running two huge mastiffs that made the two mice scamper to safety.
- Just after this incident the country mouse decides it’s time to go back to his country house, to which the town mouse asks why he’s leaving so early.
- The country mouse says he’s better off eating his beans, bacon cheese and bread in peace than have cakes and ale in fear.
[ Read: Crane And Crab Story ]
Moral Of The Story:
The story of the town mouse and the country mouse moral is that it’s better to live happily with little and be content, rather than live with abundance or a lot of something, but in fear all your life.
- The town mouse had the best of food and luxury at the town house he lived in, but every minute was lived in fear for his life.
- The country mouse though doesn’t have much to live on, but he’s happy and content with it and lives each day with satisfaction.
[ Read: Lion And Hare Story ]
Why Should You Cultivate The Habit of Storytelling?
Story telling is a part of our tradition that should be continued and not let to die. Our children are born in a media dominant age where it’s all about instant gratification via cartoons and video games.
Why To Start Storytelling?
It’s a wonderful way to bond with your child especially for working parents who are busy all day. Curling up in bed together and reading a story would be a much needed break.
- By story telling you can weave your own imagination into the story and teach any important life lessons from your own experiences that you wish your child to learn.
- It is lesser time spent in front of the television. Storytelling can also be a good method to correct your child when he shows an unaccepted behavior.
[ Read: Inspirational Stories For kids ]
Storytelling can establish a strong foundation in your child’s future social, emotional development. So don’t hold back on this simple yet important part of your child’s early experiences.
Do you have an interesting story to share with us? Please do so we would love to hear about it.
- ‘The Crab With The Golden Claws’ Story For Your Kids
- The Story Of The Fox And The Stork For Your Kids
- The Thirsty Crow Short Story For Kids
- The Story Of Three Fishes For Your Kids
- ‘Sindbad – The Sailor’ Story For Your Kids
Latest posts by Nandini Aravind (see all)
- Peritonsillar Abscess – Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - December 29, 2014
- What Happens To Your Cervix During Birth Or Labor? - November 5, 2014
- 2 Activities to Inculcate Leadership Qualities In Your Child - September 29, 2014
- ‘The Town-Mouse And The Country-Mouse’ Story For Your Kids - September 29, 2014
- 10 Best Play Schools In Jaipur For Your Kids - September 29, 2014
- Why Do We Dream About Being Pregnant? - August 26, 2014
- 6 Benefits & Precautions To Follow While Belly Dancing During Pregnancy - June 25, 2014
- How Is Lactose Intolerance Caused During Pregnancy? - June 12, 2014