Not every person is blessed with a perfect family. This post brings you a collection of toxic family quotes that touch on negative energies and lost love. Reading them could help you figure out if you are in such a family and give you the strength to walk away to start life afresh.
A perfect family is one in which every member supports, protects, guides, and nurtures each other. But a toxic family is quite the opposite. Reading these quotes can help you purge yourself of the anger and frustration, while also giving you clarity and helping you leave the bad past behind.
75 Top Quotes About Toxic Family
Sometimes, reading a simple message or quote can also uplift the mood and divert your attention from situations that cause pain. Read these quotes about a toxic family to de-stress and channel your energies into a positive direction.
- “A child should never feel as if they need to earn a mother’s love.” – Sherrie Campbell
- “Humans can be so ugly sometimes that the ones you love the most would only love to see you fall. It’s a cruel world.” – Sidney Albury
- “Family or not, I will cut you off. That saying “but that’s family” means nothing if a family is toxic and means you no good.” – Morgan Sharee
- “The more dysfunctional, the more some family members seek to control the behavior of others.” –David W. Earle
- “You don’t let go of a bad relationship because you stop caring about them. You let go because you start caring about yourself.” – Charles Orlando
- “Families are like fudge – mostly sweet with a few nuts.” – Les Dawson
- “Let negative people live their negative lives with their negative minds.”― Moosa Rahat
- “You cannot expect to live a positive life if you hang with negative people.” — Joel Osteen
- “Remember…Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you.” —Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “Weeding out the harmful influences should become the norm, not the exception.” ― Carlos Wallace
Mean Family Quotes
Families nurture us with unconditional love and care. If you feel otherwise, these mean family quotes are worth a read!
- “It’s not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons.” – Jonathan Schiller
- “If the family you chose before your birth no longer supports your path towards fulfilling your true destiny, it is never too late to find a new tribe.” – Anthon St. Maarten
- “Families and their problems go on and on, and they aren’t solved; they’re dealt with.” – Roger Ebert
- “Like all the best families, we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.” – Queen Elizabeth II
- “Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children.” –Sam Levenson
- “All the men in my family were bearded and most of the women.” –W.C. Fields
Unsupportive Family Quotes
If your family is consistently pulling you down, being unsupportive in times of need, and does not pay attention to your basic requirements, then it is vital for you to seek help.
- “Unsupportive family is your weakness, so leave the ones that hurt you.” – Unknown
- “My family never supports my dreams. I feel like a broken piece of junk.” –Unknown
- “Always stay up strong, even when you don’t get support from the family. To succeed in life, you need to leave behind the ones who hinder your progress.” – Unknown
- “I may be the black sheep of the family, but at least I am me and not a fictitious white sheep I am not.” –Samuel Zulu
- “You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.” –Anne Lamott
- “When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it.” –Shahida Arabi
Dysfunctional Family Quotes
Growing up in a dysfunctional family can affect you for a long time. Emotional health and well-being are often ignored in such families, and there is a constant fear of families falling apart.
- “Dysfunctional families have sired a number of pretty good actors.” –Gene Hackman
- “People talk about dysfunctional families; I’ve never seen any other kind.” – Sue Grafton
- “We all come from dysfunctional families, and these days I guess that’s pretty normal.” –Carnie Wilson
- “I come from a dysfunctional family, so my view of parents and parenting used to be highly mixed.” – Tamora Pierce
- “Weddings are never about the bride and groom. Weddings are public platforms for dysfunctional families.” – Lisa Kleypas
- “The current relationship between companies and the workforce is like marrying into a dysfunctional family. Only you don’t get to escape when the holiday meal is over.” – Bill Jensen
- “If you grew up in a dysfunctional family, then there is really no hope for you to have a good relationship. That is another myth that we have to throw off so that we can get into what I call Reality.” – Gary Chapman
- “In my family, as in all dysfunctional families, instead of parents who act as strong and nurturing role models for their children, you get these needy people who use their children. I was the kid who tried to take on the marriage.” – John Bradshaw
- “Your whole being is involved in taking care of someone else, worrying about what they think of you, how they treat you, how you can make them treat you better. Right now, everyone in the world seems to think that they are codependent and that they come from dysfunctional families. They call it codependency. I call it the human condition.” – Cynthia Heimel
Bad Family Quotes
Bad families and their behavior can have adverse effects on children and adults alike. It is vital to address these issues as quickly as possible to mend the relationships.
- “It always amazes me how swiftly problems can be solved, once you start cutting things off people.” – Joe Abercrombie
- “Love them from a distance. Pray for them, wish them well, but don’t allow them to abuse you.” – Kimber Waul
- “Family too can be cut off if it proves to be too toxic to be around.” –Samuel Zulu
- “Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops.” –Cary Grant
- “We don’t get to choose our family, but we can choose our friends. With courage, we can weed out narcissistic people. We can focus on those who do appreciate us, love us, and treat us with respect.” ― Dana Arcuri
- “My encouragement: delete the energy vampires from your life, clean out all complexity, build a team around you that frees you to fly, remove anything toxic, and cherish simplicity. Because that’s where genius lives.” — Robin S. Sharma
- “No matter how much you love the person, you cannot change them. You may influence them, but at the end of the day, they must decide for themselves.” — Robert E. Baines Jr.
- “An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you.” — Goi Nasu
Toxic Family Members Quotes
Whether it is one person in the family who is toxic or more, the relationships are impacted to a large extent. Read these quotes to understand more about toxic family members.
- “A toxic mother talks but never listens, and she gives advice but never takes any.” – Sherrie Campbell
- “A toxic family is even worse than a toxic relationship.” – Rohan Chouhan
- “Let’s get out of the habit of telling people that’s still your mom, your dad, or your sister. Toxic is toxic. You are allowed to walk away from people that constantly hurt you.” – Bynnada
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
- “Just because they are your family doesn’t mean that they know what’s best for you or your life.” –Samuel Zulu
- “As important as it is to learn how to deal with different kinds of people, truly toxic people will never be worth your time and energy – and they take a lot of each. Toxic people create unnecessary complexity, strife, and, worst of all, stress.” — Travis Bradberry
- “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
- “Handling toxic people is not an art; they will be the victim of their own toxicity” ― P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
Negative Family Quotes
Sometimes family members can be really harsh and hostile towards others. It may take some courage, but when your family has been consistently negative in their approach, walking away might be a solution you can try. And, it is vital that you give importance to your mental health.
- “You can miss a person every day and still be glad that they are no longer in your life.” – Tara Westover
- “Blood doesn’t make you family. Some of the most demonic and demeaning people in your life share your DNA.” – Temi Ade
- “It’s okay to cut ties with toxic friends and family; you’ve got to prioritize your own well-being.” – Brenden Dilley
- “If you attach to the negative behavior of others, it brings you down to their level.” – Guru Singh
- “You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage.” ― Chinonye J. Chidolue
- “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out.” — Robert Tew
- “It’s amazing how quickly things can turn around when you remove toxic people from your life.” — Robert Tew
- “When people pressure you to engage in negative decisions and actions, look at them boldly in the eyes and dare them to do good.” ― Edmond Mbiaka
- “If a negative viewer looks at you with an ugly fiendish eye, find a way and pluck off his eyes, or better still, protect your good image.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson
- “Every day, you must unlearn the ways that hold you back. You must rid yourself of negativity, so you can learn to fly.” — Leon Brown
- “Avoid negative people, for they are the greatest destroyers of self-confidence and self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you!” – Auliq Ice
‘When Family Members Hurt You’ Quotes
When someone in the family has hurt you intentionally or unintentionally, you may slip into a spiral of emotions. Talking to the family and expressing how you feel might offer some relief.
- “Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place we find the deepest heartache.” – Lyanla Vansant
- “In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself.” – Deepak Chopra
- “If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.” –George Bernard Shaw
- “Making amends is not only saying the words but also being willing to listen to how your behavior caused another’s pain, and then the really hard part, changing behavior.” – David W. Earle
- “If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome.” — Michael Jordan
- ‘’People who try to bring you down every day aren’t important in your life, so you better treat their opinions as such.” – Terry Mark
Quotes On Family Relationships Gone Bad
If your family’s relationships are affected due to certain fights, arguments, or contradicting thoughts, then confronting each other may help in fixing the situation. These quotes can motivate you to release negative thoughts and frustration.
- “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “When you don’t come from a healthy family, you do your best to ensure a healthy one comes from you.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Do not be waylaid by a toxic family Whatsapp group. You fought hard to emerge as your own person in real life. Do not succumb to this new medium that replicates all the sad, toxic hierarchies of broken families. Walkout. Do it now.” – Itayi Garande
- “Don’t let toxic people infect you with the fear of giving and receiving one of the most powerful forces in this world… LOVE!”― Yvonne Pierre
- “Life is short. Don’t waste it on negative people.” — Unknown
- “Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.” ― John Mark Green
- “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life, you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go, so you can grow.” – DLQ
- “Sometimes it’s better to end something & try to start something new than imprison yourself in hoping for the impossible.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “I have found the best way to deal with a toxic person is to not respond in any other way than monotone voice and a businesslike manner.” ― Jen Grice
- “No one forces a person to be negative, and no one forces anyone to be positive. The choice is up to an individual and that person alone.” — Byron Pulsifer
- “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But you’re not worthless. You’re underappreciated.” — Steve Maraboli
Living with a toxic family can hinder one’s growth in life, and leading happy lives can seem to be an impossible task. But, emotional well-being and mental health should be your top priority. Therefore, seek help from a professional counselor or someone you trust, and do not suffer in silence. Also, if you felt a sense of relief after reading these quotes about a toxic family, you may share them with someone in need to convey that they are not alone.
Infographic: Thriving In A Toxic Family
Toxic families fail at nurturing relationships, leading to instability, fear, and frustration among the members. If you are a part of a toxic family, you may want to learn a few ways to cope with it. This infographic sheds light on valuable tips to deal with a toxic family and emerge a winner.