One of the milestones for a four-month-old baby is reaching out to a toy when they see it (1). So, we have included a list of the best toys for 4-month-olds to help your child stay active and engaged. Children find the colors and shapes mesmerizing, be it a dangling toy or one they can hold. Also, the right toys can help your baby stay busy for hours while helping them reach their developmental goals. These toys are made of child-safe, high-quality materials to ensure your child’s safety. So, read on to find the right toys for your baby.
Our Top Picks
25 Best Toys For 4-Month-Old Babies
Buying toys for four-month-old babies is fairly simple. All you have to do is ensure that the toy looks attractive, makes engaging sound, and is safe for the baby. Additionally, it should also be easy to clean.
1. Best For Tactile Simulation: Lamaze Freddie The Firefly
Click-clack sounds easily attract babies. This bright firefly, when attached to your baby’s stroller, produces a rattling sound that rouses the baby’s curiosity and keeps them engaged. As your baby grows older, it can be given to them to hold and play.
- Made of soft fabric with bright colors and patterns
- Clacking sound of rings stimulates auditory senses
- Crinkling wings and squeaker offer tactile stimulation and keep the baby entertained
- Textured teether and knotted antennae soothe teething gums
- Shiny mirror helps develop visual sense
2. Best Machine-Washable: Fisher-Price Deluxe Kick ‘n Play Piano Gym
This piano gym is a toy that has a lot to offer to your little munchkin as they grow. It transforms into multiple toys to suit your baby as they keep growing. Have a glimpse of this video for a better understanding of the product.
- Adjustable toy bar comes with a dangling mirror, teether, crinkle toy, rattle, and cymbal clackers
- Colors, textures, songs, and sounds help develop various senses
- Dangling toys help the baby learn cause and effect
- Enables baby to play in several different ways
- Soft and thick play mat is machine-washable
3. Best For Cognitive Skills: Melissa & Doug Flip Fish Baby Toy
This cuddly fish not just entertains, but also helps in developing various physical and cognitive skills.
- The multi-textured soft toy squeaks and crinkles and has hidden pictures located under the scales
- Squeaker tail encourages grasping and develops finger strength
- Multi-colored body helps develop visual sense
- Multi-textured body heightens tactile sense
- Made of easily washable fabric
4. Best Easy-To-Fold: Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat
Your naughty angel may not like the idea of lying on the bed the whole time and might cry for your attention. So, why not keep them happy with this floor seat that can help and support your baby in a sitting position? Have a glimpse of this video for a better understanding of the product. Learn more about the product in this video.
- Cushy seat for comfortable sitting
- Fully supports baby to sit in an upright position
- Linked teethers and toys for baby to play with
- Removable and machine-washable seat pad
- Easy to fold and grab
- Made of fully recyclable material
5. Best Waterproof Toys For 4 Month Olds: Munchkin Float And Play Bubbles Bath Toy
We know how difficult it is to bathe a crying baby who hates water. These bath toys spin and rattle so your baby can be busy playing while you quickly give them a bath. It also develops hand-eye coordination.
- Package includes two floating balls with characters
- Easy to hold for little hands
- Floating balls with characters can help sharpen baby’s sense of sight, sound, and touch
- Waterproof bubbles easily float on water
6. Best For Gross Motor Skills: VTech Baby Rattle And Sing Puppy
Babies enjoy playing with toys that make sounds and emit lights. This toy does both of it.
- Rattling sound keeps babies engaged
- Shaking the toy lights it up
- Plays music to entertain babies
- Features more than 30 songs, sounds, and phrases
- Crinkling ears provide visual and tactile stimulation
- Develops fine and gross-motor skills
These colorful balls and blocks offer great scope for open-play. The textured balls are easy to grasp and attractive for babies.
- Includes eight numbered blocks, four animal squirters, and eight multi-textured balls
- Comes in a mesh bag for convenient storage and transfer
- Textured surface allows babies to chew on it during teething
- Squishy material makes the toys squeezable
8. Best Musical Toy: Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar Activity Station
Baby’s tummy time can be made more fun with this exciting activity station. It plays music and flashes colorful lights. Take a look at this video to know more about Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar Activity Station.
- Choose from three modes, namely animals, colors, and xylophone
- Allows the baby to play content in English, Spanish, or French
- Easy-to-press buttons
- Helps develop listening skills
- Keeps babies engaged, so they spend more time balancing on tummy
- Touching the buttons activates different features, thus teaching cause and effect
9. Best For Grasp: VTech Baby Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads
Ever seen a cute little cow playing music? This cuddly soft cow plays music and flashes colorful lights. It is perfect for babies who enjoy lights and sounds.
- Different textures help improve the sense of touch
- Plays various melodies, songs, and phrases
- Soft body makes it ideal for cuddling
- Bead ring helps strengthen grasp
- Lights up in different colors
10. Best Multifunctional: Baby Bandana Drool Bibs and Teething Toys
Babies drool a lot. This toy is a multi-functional one since it works as a bib and later works as a teether while keeping the baby entertained..
- Each pack consists of six baby bibs
- Front of the bib is made of cotton and fleece, while the back is made of polyester
- Adjustable bib comes with nickel-free snaps
- Detachable teether can be used without the bib
- Bib is easily washable in a machine
- Teether can be cleaned in a dishwasher
This musical toy can become your baby’s favorite. It plays numerous melodies and lights up with a single touch.
- Gentle push of the central button activates drum, guitar, and piano sounds
- Helps develop sound recognition and learn cause and effect
- Comes with a baby-safe mirror
- Shaped to easily fit into a baby’s hand
Rattle toys can help develop a baby’s grasping and motor skills. Its rattling sound encourages babies to shake their arms.
- Design allows for easy grasp and helps develop gross motor skills
- Colorful pom-poms help develop visual sense
- Rattling beads enhance sound and effect
- Available in different colors and designs
Sometimes, all a baby needs is a simple rattling toy. This rattling toy is shaped like a ball and is bound to become your baby’s best friend.
- Small ball inside rattles when shaken
- Soft plastic provides easy grip and hold
- Made from BPA-free plastic
- Easy to wipe clean
This cute set of four tiny blankets features textured teethers with smooth edges to help babies during their teething period.
- Plush blanket makes squeezing sound when squeezed
- Comes with four fun characters attached to the center
- Four teethers help soothe baby’s sore gums
- Made from BPA-free material
- Washable in machine
This uniquely shaped, colorful activity ball makes clacking and rattling sound that babies love. It is also fine for babies to chew on it as it comes with teethers.
- Tiny characters on the toy spin to encourage the baby to use fingers
- Plastic rings squeak and cackle when moved
- Handles come with varied textures for easy grasp
- Easy to clean with a damp cloth and soap
Traveling becomes stress-free when your baby has a toy to play. This black and white toy can ensure that your baby is engaged for a while.
- Reversible discs come with designs printed on both sides
- Comes with a clamp for easy attachment to baby strollers, carriers, and car seats
- Lightweight and portable
This toy supports the baby during tummy time and can also transform into a comfortable sitting couch.
- Comes with two detachable and adjustable toys
- Prop pillow can help strengthen back and neck muscles
- Includes a sun toy that makes crinkling sounds
- Comes with a BPA-free silicone teether
For a 4-month-old baby, tummy time becomes more fun when surrounded by toys. This playmat has something interesting to offer at every corner, so the baby remains engaged for a long time.
- Piano plays different kinds of music with every touch or kick of a button
- Button lights up with every touch, helping teach cause and effect
- Prop pillow helps with tummy time
- Loop comes with detachable toys such as a crinkle medallion, triangle rattle, textured music note, flash cards, and a self-discovery mirror
Here is yet another musical toy for your darling baby. This toy is shaped like a Ferris wheel that moves with a rattling sound.
- Suction cup holder at the base enables the toy to remain stable
- Manually spinning the wheel helps develop gross motor skills
- Plays songs to stimulate auditory senses
- Tiny stars blink with lights
Shopping with your little angel becomes difficult if they are not kept busy. This toy arch is designed to fit any regular crib, so babies are easily engaged while you shop.
- Made from a flexible material
- Includes three detachable toys
- Contains extra loops for additional toys
- Easily rotates and adjusts to suit the baby’s need
This set of colorful teethers can ensure your baby never feels bored with one toy. It has passed major safety tests for children’s toys and is safe for babies.
- Soft and flexible teether and rattle toys help soothe painful gums
- Does not lose color and is free of BPA
- Made of heat-resistant material and can be sterilized for safe play
- Comes in a storage box
Baby’s tiny hands lack grip, and so, they keep dropping their toys. But this teething mitten fits the hand like a glove, and you need not worry about your baby dropping the teether frequently.
- Made from child-safe BPA-free silicone
- Soft fabric glove comes in a machine-washable bag
- Flexible glove can be worn on any hand
- Adjustable velcro strap ensures a snug fit
- Makes crinkle sounds
- Includes several teething surfaces
Tummy time is no fun without a play mat. This cool mat is filled with water, which makes for exciting tummy time.
- PVC mat is completely leak-proof and BPA-free
- Helps improve hand-eye coordination
- Strengthens head, neck, and shoulder muscles
- Easily foldable and inflatable
- Include six colored toys
Lying on your back and staring at the ceiling for a long time can be quite boring, isn’t it? Baby’s get bored too. But since 4-month-olds cannot sit as yet, this hanging toy can keep them busy and happy.
- Comes with an adjustable holder specially designed for baby cribs
- Detachable hanging toys come with squeakers, bells, and rattles
- Plays soft music as the toy holder rotates slowly
- Made of non-toxic and durable ABS material
This light-up rattle lets the babies play while parents can assess their child’s growth and development. It comes with a booklet that guides parents to understand how to use the toy for understanding the baby’s growth milestones.
- Flashes multiple lights to help develop visual senses
- Textured surface enhances the tactile simulation
- Rattles sound ignites auditory senses
- Slim body easy to grasp and hold
- Free of BPA, lead, PVC, and phthalate
Why Trust MomJunction?
Priti Bose specializes in children’s products, toys, and gifts. She does in-depth research by going through the product information, reviews, and analysis to find safe, child-friendly products for our readers. The toys featured in our list are non-toxic, durable, and will help children reach their developmental milestones. The auditory and visual stimulation can help improve your child’s fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
Toys for a four-month-old baby is often designed to encourage them to use their mouth and hands, thus enhancing their sensory skills. Before you pick a toy, also check if it is visually appealing and also has lasting entertainment value for the little one.
1. Important Milestones: Your Baby By Four Months; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Best Toys for your Six Months Baby
- Interesting Toys for 3 months Old Baby
- Best Toys for your Two Months Baby
- Best Toys for your 8 Months Baby