While two-month-old babies cannot grasp and hold onto toys yet, they can recognize the things around them. So, here’s our list of the best toys for 2-month-old babies to help you out. At this age, their eyes slowly learn to adjust to the world around them, enabling them to track objects. Even their ears can catch new sounds easily. Our list includes stimulating toys with bright colors and sounds for your child’s audio-visual enhancement. However, choosing the right toy for your child can be challenging with multiple options available. So, read on to make an informed decision.
Our Top Picks
23 Best Toys For 2 Month Old Babies
Below are some interesting and best 2 month baby toys. It includes rattles and stuffed toys and everything else you’re your dear baby shall need.
1. Best Dangling: Lamaze Freddie The Firefly
Have it dangling over the crib or give it to your baby to hold, this cute yellow firefly with plastic rings that make a jingling sound is sure to capture your infant’s attention. Watch this video to learn more about the product.
- Textured teether allows baby to chew on it
- Soft body makes it easy to grasp and hold
- Baby-safe mirror enables baby to learn to focus
- Free of BPA
- Colors may bleed after extended use
- May be larger than you expect
2. Best Huggable: Gund Animated Flappy the Elephant Stuffed Animal Plush
Do not let your baby sleep alone when this soft and warm elephant is there for company. This elephant even flaps its softs ears to play a game of peek-a-boo with your child. Learn how this adorable and huggable toy entertains your little one from this video.
- Pressing the legs activates ear movement and music
- Soft and huggable body
- Made of premium plush
- Suitable for gifting
- May play a different song than the one mentioned in the description
- Changing the battery can be a task
3. Best For Baby Strollers And Bassinets: Tiny Love Musical Nature Stroll Stroller Toy
This toy arch with dangling toys can bring a smile to your baby’s face. It can keep your baby engaged with its attractive appearance and music. Have a glance at this video to know how you can fit the toy into your baby’s stroller.
- Attachable on strollers, bassinets, carry cots, and infant seats
- Can help develop motor skills
- Teether is within baby’s reach
- Plays four tunes to keep the baby entertained
- May not be sturdy enough
- May be slightly bulky
4. Best Hand-Washable: Jellycat Bashful Beige Bunny Stuffed Animal
This soft toy can make a great first friend for your baby and grow with them through kindergarten and beyond.
- Washable by hand
- Soft and cuddly
- Has a friendly expression
- Available in different sizes
- Limbs may be poorly stitched
- May have a peculiar smell when new
5. Best For Tactile Senses: Tomy Lamaze Mortimer The Mouse
The clip-on stroller toy by Tomy can also be attached to the diaper bag or carrier for fun on the go. Its knottie activity legs and crinkled and textured hooves allow children to touch and explore the toys and improve their tactile skills.
- Squeaker tummy
- Soft teether antlers
- Suitable for snuggling
- Bright colors and patterns for visual stimulation
- Stitching may be slightly loose
- May be bigger than expected
6. Best For Visual Tracking: The First Years First Rattle
Here’s a popular toy loved by parents. This infant rattle toy is a great way to introduce your darling baby to cute toys.
- Has a soft teething surface
- Durably built
- Great for improving their grasping skills
- Multi textured rattle
- High contrast patterns promote visual tracking
- Seams may not be durable enough
- May attract lint
7. Best Interactive: Thremhoo Tummy Time Baby Mirror
Make your little one’s tummy time more enjoyable and productive with this baby mirror and soft book. It comes with high-contrast patterns that are easy on the baby’s eyes. Not only is it a fun toy for them to play with, but it also helps prevent flat head and strengthens the muscles.
- Encourages parent-child interaction
- Stimulates curiosity and improves hand-eye coordination
- Comes with rattle, squeak, and crinkle paper to stimulate the child’s curiosity
- Can be fixed on a mirror using buckles
- Lightweight and easy to store
- May contain small parts
- May require frequent maintenance
8. Best Easy-To-Hold: Fisher-Price Maracas
These two colorful and soft maracas help develop children’s sensory and fine motor skills. They are lightweight and have colorful beads that make rattling sounds when shaken.
- Appropriately sized
- Easy to grasp
- Easy to clean
- Soft pom-pom is suitable for chewing
- May be smaller than expected
- Some may find the sound to be faint
9. Best Musical Toy: Baby Einstein Star Bright Symphony Toy
This glowing smiling face can make your baby happy and excited. It can play up to six different melodies and flash gentle lights to attract the child’s attention.
- Comes with a Velcro strap to attach to a stroller or bassinet
- Provides on-the-go entertainment
- Aids in grasping and teething
- Can help soothing babies
- Paint on the face may peel off quickly
- Volume may be slightly loud
10. Best For Visual Stimulation: Airyard Montessori Sensory Soft Book
Suitable for children up to 12 months, each of the two soft books has 12 unique animal patterns that can improve children’s recognition skills. The high-contrast colors and patterns help develop their retina and optic nerve and improve their vision. These early educational toys also help develop the child’s language, communication, and cognitive skills.
- Hangable design
- Makes crinkling sound for auditory stimulation
- Stitching may seem fragile
- Strings might pose a choking hazard
Which baby does not like rattle toys? This toy features colorful rings that make sounds and teach your little one about cause and effect. The toy instantly grabs the baby’s attention, and they often extend their hands to grab it.
- Bright colored beads encourage visual tracking
- Textured handle
- Easy to clean
- Soft to the touch
- Ball might trap water
- Might be slightly heavy
Now, here is a product that grows with your little one. The utility of this activity play mat increases as the baby grows, thanks to the toys that come with this play mat.
- Simple to assemble and fold
- Teething toys are made of safe, organic cotton
- Removable accessories for stage-based play
- Velcro attachments may not hold on to the frame well
- Toys hanging from above may not be strategically placed
The 12-inch and double-sided sensory toy has a soft texture, spinner ball rattle, ribbons, velcro strap, and other features to keep your baby happy and entertained. You can hang this toy from the stroller or crib for on-the-go fun.
- Includes teether rings
- Crinkle ears for sensory stimulation
- Available in three character options
- Some may find it small
- Velcro strap may open at times
These teether toys come in a set of eight and are made of sturdy, non-toxic, and BPA-free ABS plastic. They are available in soothing pastel colors and are suitable for developing children’s hand-eye coordination and gross and fine motor skills. The rattling toys help stimulate children’s senses.
- Dishwasher-safe for easy cleaning
- No loose parts or sharp edges
- Includes a storage case
- Can be sterilized
- Easy to hold
- May be slightly hard
- May not have any silicone part for chewing
Infantino’s colorful activity play mat allows infants and toddlers to explore and engage with their surroundings for their development. The mat comes with linkable toys, a peek-a-boo mirror, a bolster pillow, and a musical monkey toy for fun tummy time.
- Helps develop head and neck muscles
- Easy to wipe clean
- Foldable and portable
- Encourages visual tracking and grabbing
- May not be easy to install
- Bottom may be slightly thin
If your baby loves looking at lights, then this toy is a good first good toy for them. This rattle glows and flashes three rainbow colors when shaken, thanks to its motion sensors.
- Helps improve fine motor skills
- Grabs baby’s attention easily
- Easy-grip handle for little hands
- Easy to wipe clean
- Button batteries may pose a choking hazard
- May not grow with the child
This musical toy plays 18 different tunes for 40 minutes so your baby can be entertained. Once the purpose of the mobile is served, the toy can be used as a music box for toddlers and older children.
- Rotating disc keeps the baby engaged
- Soft light helps calm the baby down
- Meets ASTM safety standards
- Includes two quality speakers
- Clicking sound might irritate some
- May require frequent battery change
When your baby feels agitated and refuses to sleep, this calming toy can come to your rescue. This cute little owl plays 20 soothing lullabies and flashes soft lights in a constellation design on the wall or ceiling to help put the baby to sleep.
- Automatically shuts off after 30 minutes
- Furry soft body is ideal for cuddling
- Five volume settings
- Comes with an in-built cry sensor
- Adjustable strap for securing it to the crib
- May require effort to make it stand by itself
- Buttons might be noisy
The fox hanging stroller toy is designed to help develop an infant’s visual ability. It has three hanging parts–a chicken, a mirror, and a snail–that are squeezable and make crinkly or bell-like sounds for sensory stimulation. The black and white color combinations and patterns can cultivate the child’s color perception and encourage them to grab and hold.
- Durable PP cotton material
- Safe for teething
- Non-toxic and BPA-free
- Can be disassembled separately
- May keep sliding
- Animal head may not stay up
Play gyms are available everywhere, but this play mat is different because it comes with rattle toys and a play mirror attached to the arch that transforms into a seat to give your baby support when they learn to sit.
- Easy to fold, store, and transfer
- Toys are easy to hold
- Grows with the child
- Loaded with developmental activities
- Play mat may not be thick enough
- May not be easy to adjust between positions
Available in three colors, this arch has three plush toys that squeak when grabbed. The cute toys help develop your child’s hand-eye coordination, sensory abilities, and other skills. The arch can be attached to strollers, bassinets, car seats, prams, and more for on-the-go fun.
- Made of 100% safe cotton fabric
- Flexible arch clips
- Easy to adjust
- Drop-proof design
- Some may find it smaller than expected
- May have a peculiar smell when new
This spiral activity toy can keep your baby engaged and happy even when they are out in new surroundings. It is easy to attach to strollers and bassinets, and comes with a mirror, clacker rings, and textured fabrics.
- Apt for visual tracking
- Toy’s colors can keep the child occupied
- Great for improving grasping skills
- Free of BPA
- May be smaller than you expect
- May not stay in one place
Bring home these toys that are not droppable. These rattles can be worn on the wrists and feet.
- Comes in attractive colorful designs
- Encourages baby to move their hands
- Made of non-toxic material
- Soft material is easy to put on and take off
- May require effort while shaking to produce sound
- Socks may be large
Buying Guide For 2 Month Old Baby Toys
There are no rules when it comes to buying toys for babies. But a few tips can always help select the best toys for your little one. Especially those toys that will help in the development of the baby.
- Opt for toys that are colorful and vibrant. Such toys help babies develop their visual tracking skills. Also, bright toys easily attract attention of babies who are learning to identify things around them.
- Rotating toys are also a great choice because the movement distracts babies and at times even helps them calm down. The more his eyes track the rotating toy the quicker he will relax and even fall asleep.
- Even though musical toys are quite a favorite amongst parents, do not buy toys that come without volume control. Lack of volume control can give the baby and you both a headache with its frequent buzzing sound.
- Though your baby may not be able to hold things you can still buy toys designed for easy grasp so your baby attempts to grab it thereby encouraging him to develop his finger and hand muscles.
- There are toys available in the market that are designed to grow with children. Buying such toys is like an investment as it will keep transforming with your baby’s growing age and can be used over years.
Why Trust MomJunction?
A product writer for kids’ toys and gifts, Priti Bose has a keen interest in research and product analysis. Her areas of interest are writing about games, toys, and accessories that will bring children joy and help improve their mental and physical wellbeing. Here, she highlights the best toys for two-month-old babies that will attract their attention, make them happy, and engage their senses. She also provides you with a buying guide to help you select the right product for your little one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a two-month-old hold a toy?
At two months, babies start to open and shut their fists and can hold a rattle when placed in their hands (1).
2. What colors can babies see at two months?
At two months, your baby can see and recognize black and white and start to see hues of red and green (2).
3. Does a two-month-old baby need toys?
Yes, your baby can see objects that are closer to the eyes in the first two months and may start to grasp things and identify colors. So, you may introduce colorful rattles in the early phase.
4. How do I entertain a newborn?
A baby spends a lot of time sleeping in the first month. In the second and third months, they may try to respond and make sounds when you talk. Try to communicate and introduce sensory and developmental toys such as a rattle, crib mirrors, textured toys, and musical toys. Also, remember to smile, make gestures, and talk to them (1) (3).
5. How long should tummy time be at two months?
Ensure your child spends at least one minute in tummy time at regular intervals daily. This can encourage them to hold their head up for a few seconds and try to notice objects closer to them (4).
6. What motor skills should a two-month-old have?
By two months, your little one should be able to open and close their fists to hold the objects in their hands, move their arms and legs, and lift their head (5).
Turning two months old is a noteworthy milestone in your little one’s life as this is when they begin to recognize the world around them. So, you can now celebrate this occasion through a perfect gift. Choose the best toy for 2-month-old babies with bright colors and interactive features. The ones we picked are not just fun and engaging to play with but are also helpful in developing your child’s overall learning capacity and development. The toy you pick should also aid in developing their fine motor skills, be made from baby-friendly materials, and be engaging and safe to play with.
- Learning, Play, and Your 1- to 3-Month-Old
- What can my baby see?
- Learning, Play, and Your Newborn
- Tummy Time Abilities At Two Months
- Important Milestones: Your Baby By Two Months
View Profile ›