If you have a five-month-old at home, we have compiled a list of the best toys for 5-month-old babies to help you out. Your baby has grown a bit in these few months and can now hold a toy, chatter, and move objects. So, they need toys to grab and observe to improve their muscle strength and attention. Moreover, bright colors, sounds, and the textures of a toy can stimulate your child’s senses.
According to Heather Welch, a play advocate and educator, “Babies are at a stage where their senses are constantly developing. They understand the world by feeling it through their hands and mouth. Hence, their toys should be easy to grab and have add-ons such as music, and textures to make the toys capable of activating their senses.”
Our list includes entertaining and practical toys to help your baby reach their developmental milestones. So, read on to learn more about the various toys available to choose one that suits your child’s requirements.
17 Best Toys For 5-Month-Old Babies In 2023
1. Best Toy For Developing Tactile Senses: Bright Starts Snuggle & Teethe Toy
This multipurpose snuggly Elephant is good to hold and sleep, and helps soothe your baby’s sore gums. Before buying, have a look at this video for more details
- Soft fabric helps keep the baby comfortable
- Crinkly fabric around the body helps develop tactile senses
- Textured feet helps soothe teething gums
- Easy to wipe clean with damp cloth and soap
- May bleed when washed
- Might be large for some babies
2. Best Toy With Soft Body: Skip Hop Bandana Buddies Baby Activity And Teething Toy
A rattle cum soft toy cum teether, this toy can become anything your baby wants. It weighs only 5.3 ounces and is available in a variety of characters so you get to pick the one your baby might like the best.
- Soft body enables easy play for the baby
- Rattles help develop the baby’s hearing ability
- Detachable bandana teether enables the parent to wear the toy as a wristband
- Free of PVC and phthalates
- Can be easily attached to a stroller or car seat
- Teething spots may be hard for some babies
- Ring may fall off easily
3. Best For Grip: Bright Starts Rattle & Shake Barbell Toys
The Bright Starts rattle and shake barbell toys are designed to engage children above three months of age. Available in a bright green color and weighing 0.1lb, the sensory toy is easy to hold and handle for tiny hands. It is designed with a cheerful and fun twisty handle that can intrigue your child.
- Textured handles are easy to grasp
- Clear rattles
- Mirror and beads reflect light
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- May not be loud enough
- Some may find the plastic thin
4. Best Engaging: Teytoy My First Baby Toys
The Teytoy My First Baby Toys is cute and loaded with bright colors to keep your child’s attention intact. Made of plush material, it has various textures, patterns, and colors. Available in the fun shape of an owl, it is lightweight and easy to carry. Its vivid pattern and vibrant shape add to your child’s curiosity. It can be a great addition to your child’s toy box.
- Great plush toy for teething
- Multi-sensory rattle
- Made of non-toxic, cloth material
- Strong stitches and washable
- May be bigger than expected for some children
- Hanging ring may fall off
5. Best Toy To Soothe Painful Gums: Bambeado Baby Teething Toy Extraordinaire
- Made from food-grade soft silicone
- Thin and long parts easily reach babies’ back gums
- Single mold design eliminates instances of bacteria growth
- Texture neither too hard nor too soft
- Free of BPA, PVC, and lead
- May develop a white film upon washing in dishwasher
- Antennas that break off over time can be choking hazards
6. Best Toy For Strollers And Cribs: Baby Einstein Star Bright Symphony Toy
Babies can become restless when traveling or when exposed to new surroundings. In such a case, a musical toy can help keep the little one engaged and happy.
- Cute smiling star plays multiple classical melodies
- Flashes gentle lights to attract the baby’s attention
- Comes with a strap to attach to the baby’s crib, stroller, or car seat
- Easy-to-grip body
- Chewable toy suitable for teething
- Paint may peel away over time
- Lights may have a strobe pattern, which can be too intense for some babies
7. Best Easy-To-Clean: Melissa & Doug Flip Fish Soft Baby Toy
The Melissa & Doug flip fish baby toy can make great company for your child’s crib. This squeaky toy promotes multiple developmental and tactile skills. With bright colors and an engaging design, it is easy to keep your child occupied with the fish toy. Made of plush textiles, the toy is lightweight and easy to hold for tiny palms with its layered cut design. The multi-colored cuddly fish friend of your child offers various textures for optimal stimulation.
- Educational toy for improving motor skills
- Attracts attention with squeaks and crinkles
- Made of a washable fabric
- Enables tactile exploration
- May be larger than expected
- May have an unpleasant smell initially
8. Best For Stimulating Visual Senses: Infantino 4-In-1 Deluxe Activity Gym & Play Mat
The Infantino Deluxe activity gym and play mat is a four-in-one activity set up for children, including a tummy time mat, a peek-a-boo mirror, a bolster pillow, and a musical monkey with other linkable toys. It can complement the activities of infants growing up to active toddlers. With a wide product dimension, it has enough space for placing your child, and is lightweight at seven oz. It is made of polyester and cotton.
- Offers high engagement and exploration
- Supports head, neck, and arm movements
- Helps with motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Portable with twist-and-fold mechanics
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Play mat may be thin for some
- Some may find it difficult to assemble
9. Best For Safety: Skip Hop Egg Shaker Trio Baby Toy
The Skip Hop Egg Shaker Trio Baby Toy is an intriguing play set for infants and toddlers to keep them engaged. Designed in three cheerful characters in the shape of eggs, these toys make unique sounds when shaken and can be entertaining for the little one. These toddler and infant toys are available in a dimension of 2.25x2x2.75in, which can be easy to hold for kids above three months of age.
- Available in owl, hedgehog, and fox egg designs
- Bright colors
- Free of PVC and phthalates
- Playful texture
- Easy to hold
- Sound may be low
- Might be bigger than expected for small hands
10. Best BPA-Free Toy For Teething: RaZbaby RaZ-Berry Silicone Teether
Teethers are a must-have for five-month-old babies. Teething is a painful period for babies, and so, this hands-free teether is a gentle infant toy that has been designed to alleviate the child’s pain.
- Made of food-grade silicone
- Free of BPA
- Multi-texture handle designed for baby’s easy grasp
- Hands-free teether toy
- Helps soothe gums
- Can be refrigerated to provide extra relief from aching gums
- Might be big for some babies
This cute little bug plays music and dangles if your baby wants it, an excellent engaging toy for 5-month-olds. Its detachable hook-and-loop fastener allows your baby to hold and play with this infant toy for hours.
- Comes with two clacker rings and a child-safe peek-a-boo mirror
- Plays music when the head of the toy is pulled
- Attachable to the child’s crib and stroller
- Great cause-and-effect toy
- Colors may not be vibrant enough
- Velcro used in this toy may not be strong enough
The Meadow Days Take-Along Mobile with spinning toys is a great toy for 5-month-olds when you are on the go. Fix the mobile toy to your baby’s crib or stroller and keep them entertained.
- Spinning toys help develop the baby’s vision
- Plays five different melodies for 30 minutes
- Comes with a hook-and-loop fastener to attach it to an infant carrier
- Features a large crib to attach it to a stroller
- Aids in emotional intelligence
- Does not come with volume control
- Babies may find the toy to be heavy
These clear balls with fun and attractive toys inside make suitable bathtime companions for your child. The bright colors and rattling sounds of these toys help stimulate their sense of touch, sight and hearing.
- Includes two sea-inspired characters and two whirly toys
- Help improve hand-eye coordination and motor skills
- Easy to grasp with textured rings
- Unisex toys
- Easy to dry and maintain
- Mold-free design
- Some users report getting the same characters in all balls instead of four different ones
- May not be watertight
Driving with an infant in the backseat is not a child’s play. But if your child has an attractive in-car play center, your journey can become a lot smoother.
- Includes baby-safe curved mirror toy
- Come with adjustable hook-and-loop straps and plastic rings
- Car toy hangs easily when attached to the headrest
- Hanging toys include a crinkling frog, a rattling flower, and a jingle bell ball
- Mirror may be hard to position
- May not be compatible with certain headrests
Do not look at this pink seat as a regular piece of plastic furniture. It is a multipurpose seat that can help both your baby and you.
- Three-in-one seat works as a support seat, an activity seat, and a booster seat
- Activity seat comes with a 360-degree rotating tray with six toys to keep the baby engaged
- Toys are detachable from the toy bar
- Includes a safety belt and a detachable snack tray with two cup holders
- Parents may find it challenging to lift the child out
[ Read : Babyhug Raise Me Up Baby Booster Seat ]
VTech Crinkle and Roar Lion is a fun and cute toy for 5-month-olds, designed to keep them engaged and happy. The toy is available in a bright yellow color, is made of plastic with a dimension of 3.35×11.02x.10.83in, and is available in an adorable shape. The toy runs on two AA batteries and can be suitable for children up to three years of age for its versatile play and engagement.
- Designed for early learning
- Equipped with motion sensor and cheerful sounds
- Intriguing buttons to explore colors and shapes
- Tactile stimulation with textured ring
- Portable size and design
- Great interactive toy
- Has a baby-safe mirror installed
- Batteries may need a replacement immediately after purchase
- Toy sounds can be slightly loud for some
As your sweet baby tries to balance on their tummy, this soft pillow can support them to stay up longer and stronger. If your baby is a pre-crawler, you could do them a big favor by purchasing this pillow.
- Includes a detachable teether and rattle toy
- Hones fine motor skills
- Quality tummy time toy
- Made of ultra-soft fabric
- Helps develop leg, arm, and neck muscles
- May not have enough stuffing
- May lack in firmness
How To Choose The Right Toys For 5-Month-Olds?
Here are a few things to consider when choosing a gift for five-year-old girls.
- Safety: Avoid toys with small pieces that may be a choking hazard. Also, ensure the toys are made of non-toxic material and have smooth edges to keep your child safe. Check for safety certifications for further assurance.
- Texture: Textured toys such as baby drums and musical animals can make a suitable pick for this age. Bright colors, lights, and fun sounds can further attract your child’s attention, engage their senses, and improve their creativity and learning.
- Development: Consider the child’s developmental milestones to find a suitable gift. You can choose developmental toys that help enhance their cognitive and motor skills.
- Quality: Choose gifts made from high-quality materials for safe and long-lasting use. They should not have sharp edges or rough textures, and should be free of harsh chemicals.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I entertain a five-month-old?
There are numerous ways to entertain your five-month-old, as they can experience sounds and colors better than before. You can engage them with different sounds, let them grab and play with rattles, read books with pictures, sing lullabies or rhymes to prepare them for speech, play peek-a-boo, and encourage them to crawl by using sound and light-up toys.
2. What do five-month-old babies like to play with?
They love to play with toys that make sounds and have bright lights, rattles, and teethers with different textures, sucking their fingers and toes, and yes, they love to play with caregivers.
3. What things should my five-month-old be doing?
If your baby is practicing tummy time by now, they will learn how to roll on their back, they should have enough strength to hold their head up; some babies even try to push their body up to start crawling. Smiling at familiar faces, babbling, and reaching for objects are some other things that a five-month-old should be doing.
4. How much should my five-month-old play independently?
This is the ideal age for babies to start playing independently, as they are not fully mobile yet can hold their heads up and enjoy the objects in their visual range. So, five to ten minutes of independent play in a safe and secure environment is beneficial and helps them to develop focus as they grow.
When your baby hits the 5-month mark, you will witness rapid growth and development. Buying the best toys for 5-month-olds can ease the development process and help them achieve their milestones more efficiently. Some of the developmental aspects that you can focus on for this age group are gross motor skills, muscle strength, engaging the senses, and attention. Toys with bright colors, moving parts, textures, and sounds can help you engage these abilities and help your child swiftly hit their milestones.
Infographic: How Toys Play An Important Role In A Five-Month-Old’s Development?
Playing with toys can have many benefits for babies. In the infographic below, we highlighted a few for five-month-olds. Give it a read and consider providing your little one with various toys and opportunities to play, and watch as they grow and learn. You can also share the infographic with your family and friends.
Explore More From (Product Category)
When choosing (product category), you can trust recommendations from MomJunction’s editorial team and expert reviewers. We have compared and analyzed the features of several products to let you make the right choice. Click these links for more options.
- Best Toys For Two Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For One Month Old Baby
- Best Toys For Four Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 16 Month Old
- Best Toys For 7 Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 8 Month Old Babies
- Best Educational Toys For 6 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 18 To 24 Months Old
- Best Toys For 15 Month Old Baby
- Best Toys For 8 9 And 10 Year Old Boys
- Best Educational Toys For 8 Year Olds
- Best Toys For Crawlers
- Best Toys For 3 Year Old Boys
- Best Outdoor Toys For 5 Year Olds
- Best Sensory Toys For Toddlers
- Best Outdoor Toys For Kids
- Best Toys For 1 Year Old Boys
- Best Toys For 12 Year Olds
- Best Toys For 5 6 7 Year Old Boys
- Best Toys For 1 Year Old Girl
- Important Milestones: Your Baby By Four Months
- 5 Wonderful Toys For 7 Month Old Babies
- 6 Interesting Toys For 8 Month Old Babies
- Best Toys For 6-Month-Old Babies
- Best Development Toys For Nine-Month-Olds