Growing babies love to play and explore.At six months, your baby is inquisitive. He is ready to play with toys, taste them and protest if the playthings are taken away from him. Therefore, this is the best time to introduce him to constructive skills, through toys (1).
Pick toys that stimulate and nurture your baby’s imagination, as well as promote his development. MomJuction makes your job easy with the best possible list of toys for your six-month-old baby.
Baby’s Overall Development At Six Months
The NYU School of Medicine child and adolescent psychiatry associate professor Christopher Lucas, says, “What occurs during the first five years of life can have an enormous impact on not only how well the baby’s brain develops at the moment, but how well that baby learns and grows throughout their lifetime.”
Therefore, before choosing the right toys for your baby, understand at which stage of development your child is.
Physical Development: At this age, the little one can move his head and begin to reach out for objects by rolling and wriggling. He learns through touching and tasting objects. He can sit up with some support or by balancing with his hands.
Cognitive Development: A six-month-old can make sounds like ‘baba’ or ‘gaga’. He is ready for different tastes. So, it is the good time to introduce solids. Shows curiosity for things and brings them to mouth.
Social and Emotional Development: The little one can recognize himself, differentiate between parents, caregivers and strangers. He can express emotions as he smiles, frowns and also cries (2).
Best Toys For Your 6 Month Old Baby
Shopping for just the right toy can be an overwhelming job, with so many options. To help you out, we have short listed the top toys for your baby to get her hands on.
1. Fisher Price 3-in-1 Convertible Car Gym
Buy Fisher Price 3 in 1 Convertible Car Gym, Multi Color @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: motor skills, cognitive skills, and senses like hearing and seeing
How to play: The activity gym is a nonstop fun for kids from newborn stage through the toddler years. Bright activity toys and a light up musical steering wheel can take the baby’s senses to a joy ride. It comprises eight movable activity toys, hula hippo, key clackers, lion rattle, toucan teether, jingling fuzzy die, steering wheel with music, lights, and sounds (and a mirror in the middle), and skunk air freshener (vanilla scented).
The large machine-washable playmat gym features three ways to play suitable for the growing baby.
Lay and play
It is perfect fun while the baby lays down to enjoy the overhead toys hanging off the toy bar. He can bat and play with spins, rattles, jingles, and more. The lay and play time provides a lot of stimulation as the baby tries to reach the hanging toys.
Tummy time play
Lower the toy bar to the floor to give your little one a perfect tummy time. The baby can cruise through tummy time and get fun tune rewards on touching the steering wheel. The wheel triggers car sounds, 30 minutes of music, and lights.
Sit and play
Bring it to 45 degrees if your little angle starts sitting. The car has a cute dashboard and the attached steering wheel can be activated for car sounds.
2. Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby’s First Blocks
Buy Fisher Price Brilliant Basics Baby’s First Blocks @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: Hand-eye coordination, grasping skills, sensory skills, finger & hand dexterity, creative thinking
How to play: The Baby’s First Blocks set helps you to introduce your infant to colors and shapes. A bright colored bucket contains ten colorful blocks. Its lid has a shape-sorter. As the babies try to put each block in the right hole, their hand-eye coordination improves. The blocks are lighter for the little hands to easily grasp them, enabling development of finger and hand dexterity.
Interesting textures and shiny reflections stimulate the baby’s senses. Your little angel will soon discover new ways to play while developing creative skills. Stacking and sorting improve problem-solving skills.
3. Baby Teething Rings: Strawberry & Corn Teether Toys – 2 Pack
Buy Baby Teething Rings: Strawberry & Corn Teether Toys – 2 PACK @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: gripping or grasping skills
How to play: Teether would be a favorite toy for your teething baby. Soft, multi-surfaced textures are easy to chew, and soothe the swollen gums, relieving him from the teething pain. The silicon teether is free from phthalates, lead, BPA, latex, or toxic gel.
They can be refrigerated to offer cooling pain relief. Corn and strawberry shapes can reach your baby’s molars (front teeth).
The ‘easy to grip handle’ allows the child to hold it with ease, improving the ability to grip or grasp things. Fun, bright colors catch the baby’s eye.
[ Read: Teething Toys For Your Baby ]
4. Cute Butterfly Musical Baby Toy (6 Months and Up)
Buy Cute Butterfly Musical Baby Toy (6 Months and Up) @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: Sensory skills
How to play: The musical toy attracts an infant and stimulates his senses. It helps him develop interest in music. Hum along with the music that comes from the toy, and you will be surprised to see your baby attentive and happy!
5. Melissa Doug Rainbow Stacker
Buy Melissa Doug Rainbow Stacker @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: shape, color and size differentiation skills
How to play: Melissa Doug Rainbow Stacker would be every child’s favorite. The smooth-sanded pieces with bright colors help develop early color, shape, and size differentiation skills. Your baby would love to stack these easy-grasp and smooth wooden pieces on the wood rocking base.
6. Kseey Sunflower Baby Crib Toy From Crib Critters
Buy Kseey Sunflower Baby Crib Toy From Crib Critters @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: sensory skills
How to play: The crib toy with jungle pals is entertaining for your baby, besides being adorable crib dressings. The sensory toy keeps him engaged and lightens up his playtime. The soft fabric is safe and can be wrapped around the stroller handle or the crib rail.
7. Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball
Buy Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: Tactile sensory skills, auditory and visual stimulus
How to play: Sassy Developmental Bumpy Ball has several textured bumps, each with its own function. A bump filled with beads works as a rattle when the baby shakes the toy. All other bumps have textures on them, which feel different when touched. The bright colors add to the visual charm of the toy.
8. iPlay, iLearn, 10 Baby Rattles and Teething toys
Buy iPlay, iLearn, 10 Baby Rattles and Teething toys @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: Sensory Skills and Gross Motor Skills
How to play: Rattle Drum Educational Toys come in different shapes, colors, and sizes. The sounds made by these tiny rattles, which a baby can hold with ease, are a delight for them. You can wash them in hot water (less than 70 Celsius) but do not put into a disinfection cabinet.
9. V Tech Sort And Learn Discovery Tree Activity Table
Buy V Tech Sort And Learn Discovery Tree Activity Table @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: language development, cognitive skills
How to play: An interactive center from Vtech, the Discovery Tree has five different play zones with an age appropriate curriculum. It’s features include:
- Six apple buttons on the tree teach phonics and colors.
- Light-up ladybird spinning disk introduces eight insects and animals.
- Shape sorter teaches fruits and shapes. Three different paths are available for the shapes to fall inside the trunk.
- Sing along songs can be enjoyed at the four-page mini-book and the caterpillar piano keys play numbers and music notes.
- The toy has four sing-along songs, fun sound effects, and many melodies.
10. B. Ballyhoo Ball
Buy B. Ballyhoo Ball @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: sensory skills and gross motor skills
How to play: B. Ballyhoo Ball is fun with five wee balls fitting into one mama ball. Babies love to play with them separately or together. The little one will have a lot to feel due to the bumps, soft spikes, ridges, and textures. Believe it or not, there are zillion combinations to try with those balls. It will be one of your infant’s favorites. Each component ball has its own bounce, squeak, and wobble.
11. Fat Brain Toys Busy Bees Push ‘n Spin
Buy Fat Brain Toys Busy Bees Push ‘n Spin @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: Concentration, sensory skills, gross motor skills
How to play: Fat Brain Toys Busy Bees Push ‘n Spin toy keeps your six-month-old entertained for hours. Attractive colors develop the little one’s sensory skills while the spinning bees engage them to improve the concentration levels. Push the top of the hive to watch the red and yellow bee beads race around the two levels.
12. Goodscene Interesting Discovery Penguin 5-Note Xylophone
Buy Goodscene Interesting Discovery Penguin 5-Note Xylophone @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: sensory skills
How to play: Goodscene Interesting Discovery Penguin 5-Note Xylophone produces melodious sounds when the baby knocks it. It creates an interest in the little one for music and engages their sensitivity to colors. The sound from each piece of metal is different and grabs the infant’s attention.
13. Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Puppy’s Crawl-Along Ball
Buy Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Puppy’s Crawl-Along Ball @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: self-recognition, fine motor skills, sensory development
How to play: Your little bundle of joy would enjoy playing and learning with this Laugh and Learn Puppy’s Crawl-Along Ball. It encourages the baby’s fine motor skills as she bats the puppy character to unlock sing-along songs. The mirror in the middle helps in self-exploration. It is the best toy for tummy time play. Even crawling babies enjoy activating 25 plus enjoyable tunes, sounds, and phrases, as they roll the puppy across the floor.
14. Funskool Soft Ball
Buy Funskool Soft Ball @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: fine motor skills
How to play: Funskool Soft Ball is a multicolored, lightweight, soft ball that is safe for an infant to play. The soft fabric makes it the perfect toy for cuddle time. It is easy to carry and can be played either outdoor or indoor. Babies can touch and punch with their delicate hands. Color combination attracts the little one and introduces colors to him. As your baby moves around with it, his body strength improves. It also helps in developing the hand-eye coordination.
15. Playgro Spinning High Chair Toy – Multicolor
Buy Playgro Spinning High Chair Toy @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: gross motor skills, fine motor skill, auditory stimulation
How to play: Playgro Spinning High Chair Toy, which comes with two toys in one, will be great entertainment for your baby during dinner time. It can be easily attached to any surface due to the suction base. It has a detachable rattle that lets your darling swing and spin the toy. The little one would love to play with the click-clack beads and the silky ribbons. The teething beads soothe sore gums.
16. Melissa & Doug Deluxe Fishbowl Fill & Spill Soft Baby Toy
Buy Melissa & Doug Deluxe Fishbowl Fill & Spill Soft Baby Toy @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: hand-eye co-ordination, motor skills, sensory skills
How to play: This toy will be the perfect travel companion to keep your baby occupied during a trip. Four cute and silly sea creatures crafted in soft textured material that jingle and squeak are just perfect to grab your baby’s attention.
17. Musical Crawl N’ Go Snail With Stacker
Buy Musical Crawl N’ Go Snail With Stacker @ www.amazon.com
Skills developed: hand-eye co-ordination, sensory skills
How to play: The musical battery-operated snail rolls along and spins its shell as it goes. Your baby would enjoy it to the fullest. Rolling and music can be activated by pushing the tail of an engaging activity toy. Unscrew the shell to get a seven-piece stacker toy. A push-squeak face can be seen on the top. Depress the nose to get a squeak.
More Benefits Of Using These Toys For Six-Month Babies
- Sound effects and bright colors enhance the little one’s sensory and visual skills.
- Besides stimulating curiosity, flashy lights and melodious tunes develop the baby’s senses.
- The baby improves his self-recognition through social games like peek-a-boo with mirror toys.
- Growing infants enjoy the kinesthetic stimulation toys.
Tips To Help Your Baby Learn While Playing
Here are a few tips to help your baby learn as he plays.
- Allow him to explore the toy from every angle. Let him feel different textures. Let him recognize his reflection in the mirror.
- Place the toy within his arm’s reach and give plenty of tummy time. Help him develop neck and stomach muscles. Giving a lot of playtime on the back is equally important.
- Play time should include a lot of communication. Talk to your little one while playing. Describe the toy that he is playing with.
- Music helps babies with sensory stimulation. Sing along with the music. Activate lights and sounds of the toy.
- Opt for colorful activity toys to enhance the baby’s thinking ability, sharpen the memory, and enhance the eye-hand coordination.
- Ensure that the toys are free from choking hazard and are clean. Check labels to confirm if the toys are safe for chewing.
These toys will surely help in keeping your six-month baby happy and occupied, besides promoting his motor skills, and aiding in his development. Make sure to accompany the baby when he is playing with the toys.
What is your pick from the list? Let us know in the comments box below.
- 35 Fun, Unique, And Homemade Gift Ideas For Baby Shower
- 20 Awesome Ideas For Your Baby’s 1st Birthday Party
- 25 Truly Amazing Facts About Babies
Latest posts by Sumana Maheswari (see all)
- Missing Your Pre-Pregnancy Skin Glow? You Can Get It Back! - September 23, 2016
- 30 Educative And Fun Water Animal Facts For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Triple Screening In Pregnancy - Essential Elements, Process And Accuracy - March 31, 2016
- Blood In Breast Milk: Is It Safe For Your Baby? - March 28, 2016
- 14 Brilliant Activities For Your 2-Month-Old's Development - March 18, 2016
- 8 Important Things You Must Know When Giving Baby Ice Cream - March 3, 2016
- Is It Safe To Take Alprazolam (Xanax) While Breastfeeding? - February 9, 2016
- Is It Safe To Take Prednisone While Breastfeeding? - February 5, 2016
- Is It Safe To Take Prozac (Fluoxetine) While Breastfeeding? - January 27, 2016
- Why Do Some Babies Crawl Backwards? - December 30, 2015