Are you thinking of including some turmeric in your baby’s diet, but are worried that it could harm her? Do you want to know how good turmeric for babies could be? If you said yes, consider reading our post below. Here, we look at turmeric, is it safe for your baby and how it helps.
Turmeric is a spice obtained from the root of the plant. The root is used fresh, or it is dried and ground into a fine powder. Turmeric powder is deep yellow (with an orange tint) in color. It has a mild fragrance and a slightly bitter taste.
Turmeric is the most widely used spice in some South Asian countries. It is also used as a textile dye, and it has many medicinal uses. Turmeric has been an active ingredient in many Ayurvedic and natural health therapies. In countries, where turmeric use is not widespread, it may be available in the form of pills and supplements.
[ Read: When Can Babies Eat Spicy Food ]
Is Turmeric Safe For Babies?
Turmeric consumption is safe for babies. But, babies don’t need turmeric for their optimal growth. So, limit the amount of turmeric you feed your baby. Consult your baby’s doctor if you want to feed him turmeric as it can interfere with certain drugs and also lead to complications if your baby suffers from certain medical problems.
Since turmeric has wound-healing properties, its external application is considered safe for babies. When mixed with milk or cream, it is used to maintain the softness of a baby’s skin as a natural remedy. But it is best to ask your baby’s doctor before using turmeric for your baby in any form – be it through food or as topical applications.
Once your baby is old enough to consume solid food, you can introduce turmeric to him through his diet. But do so only if there are no complications or risks to your child due to any drug intake or medical conditions.
[ Read: Ragi Porridge For Babies ]
Health Benefits Of Turmeric For Babies:
Turmeric has numerous health benefits obtained either through its consumption or external application .
- Curcumin is one of the bioactive components of turmeric and considered useful to provide relief from neurodegenerative disorders like multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease. It also helps fight depression .
- The potent antioxidant properties of turmeric can support standard cancer treatments. Turmeric provides relief from the symptoms of skin, colon, prostate, and breast cancer. Its topical application helps augment skin cancer treatments.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and therefore extremely helpful during treatment of osteoarthritis .
- Turmeric also has antimicrobial properties and protects the body from viral and bacterial infections.
- It is also good for liver health and improves digestion. Turmeric can also heal peptic ulcers and improve bowel movement.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Ghee For Babies ]
Side Effects Of Turmeric For Babies:
Practice caution to use turmeric for baby . Some of the side effects it can trigger include:
- Turmeric interferes with certain medications like blood thinners and drugs to reduce stomach acid production. Some common blood-thinning drugs are Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Warfarin, Clopidogrel, and others. Medications for reducing stomach acid can include Cimetidine, Omeprazole, Famotidine, Ranitidine and others. So, if you’re breastfeeding and taking these medications, avoid consuming turmeric. The same precaution applies if your child is using medications for the same medical conditions.
- Also avoid turmeric if your baby is seeking treatment for gallbladder or diabetes. If your baby is scheduled for any surgical treatments, avoid feeding him turmeric as it can interfere with blood’s clotting properties. In such cases, mothers who are breastfeeding their kids must also avoid consuming turmeric.
[ Read: Is Garlic Safe For Babies ]
Did you use turmeric in your baby’s food? Did you face any problems with using turmeric for baby skin or orally? Please share your experiences with our readers here. Leave a comment below.
- 6 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Jaggery For Babies
- 7 Wonderful Health Benefits Of Pumpkin For Babies
- Why Is Calcium Important For Your Baby?
- When Can You Introduce Asparagus To Your Baby?