Once you are pregnant, your relatives, parents and so-called well-wishers offer you all kinds of advice. From the diet you should follow, to the kind of foods you need to avoid, no advice is bad advice. However, the contradictory views on the dos and don’ts about food can leave you even more puzzled. If you are looking for some information on whether you can or cannot eat Turnip during pregnancy, consider reading our post. Here, we talk about eating turnip during pregnancy, its health benefits and any side effects that it may have.
What Is Turnip?
Turnips are also called root crop or vegetable, but they are a part of the Cruciferous family. They are also called as “Neep” in the Northern part of Scotland and England. Turnips are a rich source of vitamins particularly Vitamin C.
The vegetable has white coloured inner flesh. The outer skin color varies in colour and can be purple or pink and sometimes red coloured. The skin colour of its root bulb depends on the amount of sunlight it receives. It is a cone shape, but it can be a bit rotund as well. The turnip has a taste like mustard. Also, Turnip has a pungent taste with a tinge of bitter sweetness.
Can You Eat Turnip During Pregnancy?
Yes, you can eat turnip during pregnancy and it does not cause any harmful side-effects. However, if you are allergic to cruciferous vegetables, then please consult your doctor before consuming them.
[ Read: Radish During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Turnip During Pregnancy
Turnips are a storehouse of Health Benefits. Eating turnip greens during pregnancy also provide a bevy of health benefits.
1. Helps Fight Cancer:
Cruciferous vegetables are known for their ability to lower down the risk of cancer. The Sulforaphane compound present in Turnips and other vegetables like Cauliflower and cabbage provide a bitter taste to these vegetables. Also, this compound gives the cancer-fighting ability to these vegetables.
2. For Healthy Lungs:
Turnips are good for lungs. Vitamin C content present in Turnips helps to maintain deteriorating lung condition, particularly in regular smokers.
3. Detoxifies The Body:
If you suffer from an irregular bowel movement, then incorporate Turnips in your diet for a healthy digestion. Turnips help alleviate constipation due to the fibre content present in them.
4. Provide Immunity:
If you want to increase your resistance to diseases and want a robust immune system, then start eating Turnip during pregnancy. Turnips help boost immunity and increase body’s ability to fight infections.
[ Read: Beetroot During Pregnancy ]
Some other health benefits of Turnips are
- Turnips help in fixing damages of bones joints.
- It also improves the overall cardiovascular condition.
- If you regularly consume Turnip, then you lower chances of osteoporosis in your body.
- Turnip consumption also lowers chances of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- The nutrients present in turnip help in the production of connective tissue inside the body.
- Regular consumption of turnip decreases the chance of cognitive deterioration.
- Eating turnip helps improve your hair growth, eyesight, skin and liver.
- Turnips also help in maintaining proper functioning of nervous system.
- Turnips help to maintain blood pressure level.
- It also maintains fluid balance in the body.
- Also, this root crop is low in calories. Therefore, it is good to eat turnip if you want to reduce weight.
[ Read: Carrot During Pregnancy ]
Nutrient Value Of Turnip
Turnips are highly nutritious. Some of the nutrients present in Turnip, include:
- Vitamins A,C,E,K
- Pantothenic Acid
Did you consume Turnip during pregnancy? In what quantities did you consume this vegetable? How did its consumption benefit you? Share your story here. Leave a comment in the box below.