Do you want your baby to have one-of-a-kind name? Are you looking for a name that honors your Ugandan ethnicity? If you nodded along in agreement, you should read this post.
Uganda is a multilingual country in East Africa. More than 40 indigenous languages are spoken within its borders, with English and Swahili being the official languages. Ugandan names represent the beauty and traditions passed down through generations. The diverse tribes across the country provide a wealth of naming heritage. Here is our collection of Ugandan baby names for you to consider.
Ugandan Girl Names:
Abbo, meaning ‘accoutrement’, is a perfectly modern naming option as your little daughter is the most precious accessory to your life.
Achen is an ultra-feminine name meaning ‘a twin’. The name is a bit rare, but certainly unforgettable.
[ Read: Tanzanian Baby Names ]
Dembe is a buoyant and rhythmic name with a beautiful meaning. The name would go well with your little angel’s personality. Dembe means ‘peace’ in Ugandan.
Strong, beautiful, and attractive, Miremba is a traditional Ugandan name meaning ‘peace’. Its roots are ancient, but is has a modern feel and sophistication, which makes it stand out.
Namazzi, meaning ‘water’, exudes calmness and serenity. This sweet and simple name has loads of global appeal.
This moniker with pan-cultural feel is currently in vogue in Uganda, and will be a good fit if you have twins. Meaning ‘youngest twin’, Namono was originally used for the second born twin in rural Uganda.
[ Read: Albanian Baby Names ]
If you want to bestow a traditional Ugandan name on your girl, you can consider Nasiche, which means ‘given life during locust season’. It’s uncommon, exotic and will make your child stand out from the crowd.
This fancy Ugandan name, meaning ‘God loves us’, suits religious families. It’s strong, rhythmic and resilient, precisely how we want our girls to be.
Ugandan Boy Names:
Adroa is a Ugandan baby boy name meaning ‘God’s will’. This mellow and musical name has been climbing the popularity charts lately.
Akiki, meaning ‘friend’, is worthy enough to be imported into other cultures. It’s short, has a positive meaning and ends with ‘i’, which makes it even more appealing.
Bwanbale is a mighty Ugandan. It means ‘second-born male’, so you can use this name to fit its definition.
[ Read: African Baby Names ]
Kaikara is the traditional name of God in Ugandan language. This exotic and unusual name is worth considering if you are looking for something extraordinary for your baby.
Mukisa is a distinguished Ugandan name for boys. It means ‘good fortune’.
Ugandan people frequently name their children after the order in which they were born or the day of the week they came into the world. Ochieng, meaning ‘born in the daytime’, is a fine example of this tradition.
[ Read: German Baby Names ]
Sanyu is one of our favorite Ugandan baby names as it carries a beautiful meaning – ‘happiness’. While Sanyu is a unisex name, the ‘u’ ending makes it more appropriate for boys than girls.
Before giving the name to your child, ensure that you research on the meaning thoroughly. Some names sound beautiful, but may not have the meaning your child will like.
So which name did you like most from our list of popular Ugandan names? Tell us about your favorite ones below.
- 15 Popular Catalan Names For Your Baby
- 20 Wonderful Mayan Names For Your Baby
- Top 20 Serbian Names For Your Baby
- Top 15 Algerian Names For Your Baby
Latest posts by Bhavana Navuluri (see all)
- Vedix Khoob review: A customized hairfall solution that works - November 20, 2018
- Are Chemicals Harmful? You’ll Be Surprised To Know The Answer - November 15, 2018
- SkinKraft Review: A Customized Solution To All Your Skin Problems - June 14, 2018
- Dealing With Baby’s Delicate Skin In The First Three Months - April 27, 2018
- Sahabi Names: 75 Best Male Sahaba Names For Baby Boys - February 22, 2018
- Sahabiyat Names: 75 Sacred Female Sahaba Names For Baby Girls - February 20, 2018
- Just think: Who taught our kids to fear failure? - December 30, 2017
- 65 Lord Rama Names For Baby Boy With Meanings - December 21, 2017
- MindKoo Unicat Wireless Headphones: Kids’ Best Stylish Gift And Companion - November 16, 2017
- A Lesson Learnt: How I Realized Kids Do Not Like Taking NO As An Answer - November 1, 2017