Are you looking forward to singing lullabies to your little one? Do you love singing but are finding it difficult to do so ever since you became pregnant? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea.
Pregnancy is a life-changing event. From conception to delivery, various physiological, metabolic and anatomical changes take place within a woman’s body. But, have you heard of voice change during pregnancy? If you are pregnant and notice that your voice is sounding different, do not set the alarm bells ringing because it is normal! Pregnancy affects the voice during the third trimester by changing the quality and perturbation rates. Read on to know more facts about the voice changes during pregnancy.
Causes Of Voice Change During Pregnancy:
1. Hormonal Changes:
During pregnancy, the rapid rise of progesterone and estrogen levels affects the woman’s entire body, including the vocal cords.
[ Read: Body Changes During Pregnancy ]
2. Increase In Body Fluids:
Voice deepening or alternation can also be due to the increase in body fluids during pregnancy. Pregnancy increases blood volume by 50% and body fluids by six pounds. The concentration of body fluids or excess mucus near the vocal cords causes them to vibrate at a slower rate than before and leads to deepening of the voice.
3. Edema Or Swelling Of The Vocal Cords:
Just like the other parts of the body, the vocal cords also swell during pregnancy. It causes heaviness in the vocal folds, altering the singing range. Pregnant women lose top notes but gain notes at the bottom. Do not strain your throat to reach the top notes. The blood vessels are extremely fragile during this time and may rupture if you strain to reach the top notes. It may also cause the vocal cords to tear.
[ Read: Swelling During Pregnancy ]
4. Shift In Voice Range:
During pregnancy, the blood vessels dilate across the whole body, including the vocal cords. It makes the cord more prone to tear and rupture. Fragility of the vocal cord can also lead to change in voice.
5. Decrease In The Lung Capacity:
You may experience difficulty in breathing during pregnancy. It is because the growing baby in your womb pushes the diaphragm and every other organ upwards. It results in a decrease in lung capacity, endurance, vocal fatigue, and an inability to sustain the notes.
6. Prone To LPR:
During pregnancy, hormones lead to Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). It results in the relaxation of the sphincter, which keeps the food in the stomach and prevents it from coming to the larynx. When the stomach capacity reduces, you are more likely to regurgitate acid. You may experience excessive throat clearing, postnasal drip, and altered voice.
7. Decrease In Nasal Resonance:
As mentioned earlier, the body of a woman swells during pregnancy and the nose is no exception. It may result in a difficulty in breathing through the nose. Swelling of the nose prevents resonance through it and into the sinus, resulting in a deep and husky voice.
8. Change InPosture:
During pregnancy, there is a shift in the pelvis, back, and chest. It alters the entire support mechanism of a woman’s body, so much so that she cannot sing in her last trimester.
[ Read: Feet Growing During Pregnancy ]
Consult A Laryngologist:
You should seek medical help in the following situations:
- If you notice a sudden change while speaking or singing or after sneezing or coughing.
- If you feel pain while speaking or singing.
- If you notice a significant loss of voice during pregnancy.
Remember, do not fret too much as your voice will bounce back to normal shortly after delivery.
If you have experienced that you are losing voice during pregnancy, please share your experience with us.
- How to Prevent Leg Pain During Pregnancy?
- Top 17 Widely Believed Pregnancy Myths
- Back Pain During Pregnancy – 5 Causes And 11 Treatments
- 25 Effective Tips To Prevent Pains And Cramps During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Names That Mean Angel For Boys And Girls - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016