You will sometimes see that newborn babies may have a slight swelling in the breast area. There is another name for this breast swelling – Physiologic leucorrhea. During pregnancy, women have a high level of estrogen hormone which causes breast enhancement or enlargement in the mom-to-be; the same effect can be seen in newborn babies after 3 days from their birth.
Hormonal Changes In Babies:
Swollen breast is a very common concern for parents of newborns, but it’s nothing serious – this is very normal in the newborn babies. This swelling on the breast can last only for a few weeks.
- Generally, new born babies may sometimes have swollen breasts, which will ooze a little milk. Do not be alarmed!
- This swollen breast happens because the mother’s hormones are passed to the newborn baby before delivery.
- This is seen after 3 days and will disappear by the 5th week post delivery.
[ Read: Baby Health Care ]
Causes Of Swollen Breasts In Newborns:
Many parents may get tensed by seeing the swollen breasts in infants, but once the cause for this swollen breasts is known, you will feel relaxed.
- Typically in a pregnant woman there are many changes happening physically and mentally as well. You can notice changes in the breast in your entire pregnancy.
- In the final days of your pregnancy, you can see such changes a lot; this is due to your body preparing itself for breastfeeding your baby.
- These hormonal changes are passed to the infant also and the same effect is seen in them.
- When a baby is in the mother’s womb, he or she absorbs many chemicals from the mother’s blood. But after the baby is born, this regular supply of chemicals is cut off. Due to this, certain hormonal changes happen in the babies, which are generally temporary in nature.
[ Read: Flu In Babies ]
Tips For Concerned Parents:
It is always heartbreaking for the parents to see these changes in their newborn baby’s body. But do not make any assumption and try to treat this swollen breast by yourself.
- Some parents try to pinch the swollen area too much and see if that will help in reducing the swollen breast, but that will irritation to the newborn babies. Avoid doing this!
- Since this is not a serious problem at all, give it some time to shrink naturally. This will disappear around the 5th week of the baby’s birth.
- Do not massage or touch the swollen area too many times. All you should do is just wash them cleanly during the bath. Too much of massage or pinching the swollen area can cause infection.
[ Read: Sinus Infection In Babies ]
When To Consult The Doctor?
As discussed earlier, there is nothing to worry about as newborn swollen breasts will shrink naturally after 5 to 8 weeks.
- Sometimes the swollen breast looks red and swollen too much and then those cases you will have to consult the pediatrician immediately.
- If your baby is having high fever along with a swollen breast for a long time, then you should consult the doctor immediately without any delay.
- If the swelling is increasing everyday rather than reducing then it is something that you should definitely worry about.
As a parent, it is very common that you will start worrying about the minute changes that take place in your infant’s body, but there are certain changes that are normal and you should not be worried about. These changes will last maximum for 2 months and not more. Have you got more ideas on how to take care of swollen breasts in newborns? Please share those ideas with us.
- 4 Useful Ways To Treat Dehydration In Babies
- 5 Symptoms & 3 Treatments Of Sinus Infection In Babies
- 8 Preventive Measures To Avoid Hay Fever In Babies
- Croup Disease In Babies – 5 Causes, 12 Symptoms & 6 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014