All couples face issues in a marriage, but the question is that when do you know if the issue is going to be a temporary one or permanently going to remain unresolved. So here are some unhappy marriage quotes that you will be able to relate to if your marriage has been facing more downs than ups. Not every match is chosen by God and made in heaven, so some couples have to work on their relationship a little harder to mold themselves into becoming each other’s soulmates. However, an unhappy marriage leads to emotional and mental trauma that should be addressed at the earliest in order to avoid unnecessary bitterness in the couple’s life. Delve into this post for some quotes about unhappy marriage that will help you introspect your marital life and redress the issues with your spouse.
55 Unhappy Marriage Quotes
- “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” —Friedrich Nietzsche
- “When one of you wanted one life, and the other wanted something completely different, there was a technical term for that: irreconcilable.” —Anna Quindlen
- “In an ideal world, marriage vows would be entirely rewritten.” —Alain de Botton
- “More marriages might survive if the partners realize that sometimes, the better comes after the worse.” —Doug Larson
- “People always fall in love with the most perfect aspects of each other’s personalities. Who wouldn’t? Anybody can love the most wonderful parts of another person. But that’s not the clever trick. The really clever trick is this: Can you accept the flaws? Can you look at your partner’s faults honestly and say, ‘I can work around that. I can make something out of it.’? Because the good stuff is always going to be there, and it’s always going to be pretty and sparkly, but the crap underneath can ruin you.” ―Elizabeth Gilbert
- “An unhappy marriage is neither your business nor your concern.” ―Anthony Riches
- “Sometimes, I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.” ―Katharine Hepburn
- “Don’t spend too much time beating on a wall, hoping it will transform into a door.” ―Dr. Laura Schlessinger
- “If he’s not calling you, it’s because you are not on his mind. If he creates expectations for you and then doesn’t follow through on little things, he will do the same for big things. Be aware of this and realize that he’s okay with disappointing you. Don’t be with someone who doesn’t do what they say they’re going to do. If he’s choosing not to make a simple effort that would put you at ease and bring harmony to a recurring fight, then he doesn’t respect your feelings and needs.” ―Greg Behrendt
- “There is no such thing as a “broken family.” Family is family and is not determined by marriage certificates, divorce papers, and adoption documents. Families are made in the heart. The only time family becomes null is when those ties in the heart are cut. If you cut those ties, those people are not your family. If you make those ties, those people are your family.” ―C. JoyBell C.
- “I don’t want to be married just to be married. I can’t think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can’t talk to, or worse, someone I can’t be silent with.” ―Mary Ann Shaffer
- “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” —Deborah Reber
- “You know it’s never fifty-fifty in a marriage. It’s always seventy-thirty, or sixty-forty. Someone falls in love first. Someone puts someone else up on a pedestal. Someone works very hard to keep things rolling smoothly; someone else sails along for the ride.” ―Jodi Picoult, Mercy
- “When you look back and realize that you do not remember anything good about your relationship, then it means things aren’t the way they are supposed to be. Talk it out before it is too late.”
- “So many pleasing episodes of one’s life are spoiled by shouting. You never heard of an unhappy marriage unless the neighbors have heard it first.” ―Lillian Russell
- “I know enough to know that no woman should ever marry a man who hated his mother.” ―Martha Gellhorn
- “You kids were all in college, and I suddenly saw that I was stuck alone with a man who, all those years later, was still wanting me to be someone I wasn’t.” ―Barbara Delinsky
- “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.” ―D. Love
- “When two people are under the influence of the most violent, most insane, most delusive, and most transient of passions, they are required to swear that they will remain in that excited, abnormal, and exhausting condition continuously until death do them part.” ―George Bernard Shaw
- “There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” ―Shannon L. Alder
- “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” ―Shannon L. Alder
- “Sometimes, you can be more than enough for someone, but they choose not to be in your life.” ―Shannon L. Alder
- “If he can’t handle you at your worst, then he does not deserve you at your best. Real love means seeing beyond the words spoken out of pain, and instead seeing a person’s soul.” ―Shannon L. Alder
- “Oh, Lizzy! do anything rather than marry without affection.” ―Jane Austen
- “Each suburban wife struggles with it alone. As she made the beds, shopped for groceries, matched slipcover material, ate peanut butter sandwiches with her children, chauffeured Cub Scouts and Brownies, lay beside her husband at night- she was afraid to ask even of herself the silent question– ‘Is this all?” ―Betty Friedan
- “As a bride, it had been she who had “dragged” Benjamin to dances and dinners – now conditions were reversed. She went out socially with him, but without enthusiasm, devoured already by that eternal inertia which comes to live with each of us one day and stays with us to the end.” ―F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “And how can you say a man had a good mind when he couldn’t even bother to do anything when the best-hearted, most beautiful woman in the world, his own wife, was dying for lack of love and understanding…” ―Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
- “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” ―J.K. Rowling
- “I think you still love me, but we can’t escape the fact that I’m not enough for you. I knew this was going to happen. So I’m not blaming you for falling in love with another woman. I’m not angry, either. I should be, but I’m not. I just feel pain. A lot of pain. I thought I could imagine how much this would hurt, but I was wrong.” ―Haruki Murakami
- “Sometimes I get real lonely sleeping with you.” ―Haruki Murakami
- “When you struggle with your partner, you are struggling with yourself. Every fault you see in them touches a denied weakness in yourself.” ―Deepak Chopra
- “I would rather a romantic relationship turn into contempt than turn into apathy. The passion in the extremities makes it appear as though it once meant something. We grow from hot or cold, but lukewarm is the biggest insult.” ―Criss Jami
- “Why don’t we break up? I guess I stay with her because she stays with me. And that’s not an easy thing to do.” ―John Green
- “Divorce isn’t such a tragedy. A tragedy’s staying in an unhappy marriage, teaching your children the wrong things about love.” ―Jennifer Weiner
- “The Amateur Marriage grew out of the reflection that of all the opportunities to show differences in character, surely an unhappy marriage must be the richest.” ―Anne Tyler
- “I had not quite fixed whether to make him end in Hell, or in an unhappy marriage, not knowing which would be the severest.” ―Lord Byron
- “It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone — so far.” ―Marilyn Monroe
- “I couldn’t think of anything worse than being in an unhappy marriage. It worries me because I’ve seen it destroy people.” ―Simon Cowell
- “I find to my astonishment that an unhappy marriage goes on being unhappy when it is over.” ―Rebecca West
- “For every quarrel a man and wife have before others, they have a hundred when alone.” ―E. W. Howe
- “If I know anything about women, I know they’re not going to accept infidelity any way you serve it up. I don’t care what they say. No one wants the one they love running around on ’em.” ―Jack Dancer
- “The demise of marriages begins with a growing absence of responsive intimate interactions. The conflict comes later.” ―Sue Johnson
- “It is lack of communication that leads to unhappy marriage.” ―Lailah Gifty Akita
- “I like marriage, family life and I wish to get married again. But opting out of an unhappy marriage was a duty toward myself and my future.” —Rossana Condoleo
- “There is no worse parent than an unhappy parent!” —Rossana Condoleo
- “Between what is said and not meant, and what is meant and not said, most of love is lost.” ―Khalil Gibran
- “Neither of us is happy but neither of us wants to leave. So we keep breaking one another and calling it love.” ―Rupi Kaur
- “I am not a hotel room. i am home; i am not the whiskey you want, i am the water you need; don’t come here with expectations and try to make a vacation out of me.” ―Rupi Kaur
- “You and I both know that love is for children. We’re adults. Compatibility is for adults,” he said. “Compatibility is for my Bluetooth and my car,” Teresa replied. “Only they get along just fine, and my car never makes my bluetooth feel like shit.” ―Maggie Stiefvater
- “Suddenly she felt guilty for not working harder to forgive him and repair the damage, but he hadn’t either. They had been two lost people, treading water for seven years, after the ship went down.” ―Danielle Steel
- “And the worst thing she had heard were the words he hadn’t said, the fact that he hadn’t loved her.” ―Danielle Steel
- “Sometimes I wonder that one missing sock after doing laundry, is the smart one. After being unhappy for so long, it finally walks away from a frayed, worn-out relationship.” ―Anthony Liccione
- “Marriage is just a piece of paper if it’s not a happy one.” ―Phil Lester
- “We ruined each other by being together. We destroyed each other’s dreams.” ―Kate Chisman
- “I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.” ―Groucho Marx
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it normal to feel unhappy in a marriage?
Yes, it is natural to be unhappy in a marriage at times. Every relationship goes through ups and downs. However, if you are constantly unhappy in your marriage, you may consider taking a break or divorce.
2. What is the reason for an unhappy marriage?
Misunderstandings, lack of communication, unrealistic expectations, domestic abuse, financial issues, and many other factors can all contribute to an unhappy marriage.
3. Is it better to divorce or remain unhappy in a marriage?
If you’re unhappily married, try to resolve your indifferences and disagreements on your own or with professional help. Your marriage may go through a bad patch, and you can get it back on track with sincere efforts. However, you may opt for divorce if you’re in an abusive marriage or still unhappy despite the effort to fix issues.
4. What does an unhealthy marriage look like?
An unhealthy marriage is when spouses live together but feel alone, do not spend quality time together, and constantly engage in arguments and fights.
Turbulence may occur in any relationship. But it may sometimes be difficult to realize if the relationship is worth the struggles and the fights. An unhappy relationship may take a toll on your mental health. Hence, it is sometimes better to identify the bitter truth and act accordingly. These unhappy marriage quotes could help you understand how your relationship is navigating. If you can relate to most of the above quotes, perhaps it is time for you to rethink the marriage and take action to save it. Also, communicate with your partner and express your concerns. You may even try couples therapy to resolve the issues.
Infographic: Some More Unhappy Marriage Quotes
Being in an unhappy marriage can be a challenging experience for a person. But being able to express how you feel while being a part of this relationship can be difficult. So, to help you express your feelings better, we have prepared this list of additional unhappy marriage quotes that you may be able to relate to. So give the following infographic a read and save it for the times you might need to return to it later.
View Profile ›
Dr. Carlos Juan Carmona-Goyena(PhD (Counseling Psychology))
View Profile ›