As a new mother, you will have your first duty to nurse your newborn. While breast feeding is said to the best option for your baby, the choices vary depending on various factors on an individual basis.
If you have decided to give your baby a mixed feed (breast feed plus formula) or just formula feed, you will have many concerns regarding the same.
Preparing the formula feed needs to be done exercising great caution, as this is an external preparation prone to be contaminated while exposed in the air. Care has to be taken in different stages of preparing and storing so that there is no bacterial build up or intrusion while feeding your baby.
6 useful Tips On How To Store Formula Milk Safely?
Below are few pointers you have to bear in mind while preparing the formula milk:
1. Selecting The Right Equipment:
While shopping for the baby bottles and storing equipment like vessels, make sure you choose the leading brands in the market.
- The bottles should be in good condition. Look for any external damage or tampering before buying them.
- The vessels and containers should be reliable and microwave friendly. Pick the ones that come with lids.
- The bottles and the containers have to be washed and cleaned every time they are used. Select good washing products that will help you in effective cleaning.
2. Sterilizing The Bottles:
You may be a hands-on mommy or a busy working woman, but you will have to invest a little time while sterilizing the baby bottles before the feeding process.
- Take a large vessel and boil water in it.
- Once the water starts boiling, put all the baby bottles in the rolling boil for at least five minutes.
- You also choose counter tops and microwave friendly sterilizers available in the market.
- After sterilizing, wash the bottles and nipples in warm soapy water.
[ Read: How To Sterilize Baby Bottles ]
3. Preparing The Formula Milk:
Now comes the main part where you have to prepare the feed for your baby. Usually, the pack containing formula powder will have specific instructions about the quantity to be taken per feed. You have to follow the same with care.
- Mix the formula powder with water (boiled and cooled prior) as stated on the pack.
- Make sure that water is not very cool while preparing the feed as it will not mix with the powder effectively.
- Close the bottle and shake it well enough so that formula mixes properly.
- Ensure that the formula is prepared with adequate thickness. It should not be too thick or too runny.
- Check the temperature of the formula milk before feeding your baby. Make sure that the milk is not very hot or very cold. A warm feed is just perfect for your infant.
- Test the heat by pouring few drops on your elbow
4. Cleanliness Of Baby Bottles:
If your baby is constantly on a formula feed, the bottle hygiene is of crucial importance.
- Ensure that you sterilize and clean the bottles every possible time.
- Washing the bottles thoroughly after every feed is very important.
- Throw away any old bottles that have been well used up. Replace them with new ones.
[ Read: How To Prepare Formula Milk For Babies ]
Tips On How To Store Formula Milk In The Fridge:
It is ideally stated that you should not store the formula feed for more than 15 minutes during normal conditions. However, if there is an inevitable situation where you have to store the feed, keep the following pointers in mind:
- The formula feed prepared should be stored in the refrigerator within one hour.
- Throw away the formula milk left by your baby in the bottle.
- Dispose any formula milk that has been sitting under the room temperature for an hour or so.
- Formula feed can be prepared well in advance and stored in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
- Throw away any formula feed that crosses 24 hour timeline even in the fridge.
- Make sure that you check the formula before feeding your baby within the 24 hour span for any bacterial build up. An ideally refrigerated feed should be safe enough.
Being mindful about the formula feed is vital if you have introduced your baby to the same. Be informed about the brand you are using for the formula. Take the necessary inputs from your doctor when in doubt.
Do share your views with us.
- Breastfeeding vs Formula Feeding – Which One Is Better?
- How To Store And Use Breast Milk For Your Baby?
- Supplementing Breastfeeding With Formula – Is It Ok?
- 7 Different Types Of Infant Formula You Should Know About
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014
- 10 Essential Things You Should Definitely Do Before Getting Pregnant - December 30, 2014
- Chickenpox During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms, Risks & Treatments - December 30, 2014
- Pregnancy After Tubal Ligation - Causes, Risks & Side Effects - December 12, 2014
- 7 Pros And Cons Of Getting Pregnant In Your 30s - November 26, 2014
- Is It Safe To Lose Weight During Pregnancy? - November 24, 2014
- Allergies In Babies: Causes, Symptoms And Treatments - November 7, 2014
- Ototoxicity In Children - 16 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - November 5, 2014