Does your toddler seem to struggle with health disorders? Does she seem to contract bacterial and viral infections often? Is her deteriorating health bothering you? If you nodded in assent, you might want to read our post. Here, we look at different types of viral or bacterial infections and how they affect toddlers.
Bacterial Infections In Toddlers:
The single-cell microorganisms that enter your toddler’s body can lead to abnormalities and cause bacterial infections. The microbes can infect any part of the body, and they thrive in different atmospheric conditions. The proliferation of the harmful strain of the microbe within the body causes bacterial-induced health diseases.
Some of the common health diseases that occur due to bacterial infections in toddlers include:
- Food Poisoning
- Strep Throat
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Tuberculosis (1)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Pneumonia In Toddlers ]
Treating Bacterial Infections In Toddlers:
Let’s look at some options for treating bacterial infection in toddlers:
- You can use antibiotics to treat toddler bacterial infections. The antibiotic disrupts the bacterium’s metabolic activities and leads to its destruction. The medical consultant may suggest a specific dosage of antibiotics for your toddlers. It is essential to complete the full course of antibiotics, to get relief from bacterial infections completely.
- In recent days, there are several vaccinations available; to offer immunization against harmful bacterial infections. Such vaccinations help protect your toddler’s body protected from life-threatening health diseases. Some of such important vaccines are for Hemophilus influenza Type b (HIB), whooping cough and Tetanus (2).
[ Read: Strep Throat In Toddlers ]
Viral Infections In Toddlers:
Viruses are smaller than bacteria, and they usually reside in human cells. The microbes have a protein coating and an inner core of genetic material, either DNA or RNA. The virus becomes active when it attaches itself to the host cell. On coming in contact with the host cell, it begins to replicate and other viruses infect your organs. Harmful viruses can predominantly attach to the liver, respiratory system or the blood cells.
Some common health diseases that occur due to a viral infection in toddlers include:
- Common Colds
- Sore Throat
- Hepatitis (3)
[ Read: Causes Of Gastroenteritis In Toddlers ]
Treating Viral Infections In Toddlers:
Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. As the virus depends completely upon the host cells to initiate their activities, antibiotics hardly offer any protection against viral infections. However, some specific antiviral medications can help eliminate viral infections. The anti-viral drugs interfere with the viral enzymes and help curb the replication process.
Though many viral infections go untreated with antiviral drugs, but some diseases that you can cure using antiviral medicines, include:
- Hepatitis B and C
Preventing Bacterial And Viral Infections In Toddlers:
Now that you know how bacterial and viral infections can affect your little darling, here are some prevention tips for you to follow:
- The germs can enter through food. Wash raw vegetables properly before cooking them. It helps curb the spread of bacteria or viruses through food.
- To prevent the spread of germs, ask your toddler to wash his hands properly after coming in contact with the infected person.
- If any individual is coughing or sneezing, keep your child away from that person. The bacterial or viral infections are highly contagious and spread easily from one person to another.
- If your toddler suffers from bacterial or viral infections, do not take him out to public places. It can protect other children from the disease borne germs.
- Vaccination helps keep your toddler immune from harmful infections. Be sure that your toddler gets his vaccines in due course of time. It can keep him safe from harmful diseases (5).
[ Read: Treatment For Chickenpox In Toddlers ]
With proper precautionary measures, you can protect your toddler from harmful bacteria or viral infections.
Did you toddler contract a bacterial or viral infection? What treatments did the doctor suggest? How did you deal with the situation? Tell us your story here. Leave a comment below.
- Sore Throat In Toddlers – 8 Symptoms & 4 Treatments
- Scabies In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 8 Serious Symptoms Of Asperger’s Syndrome In Toddlers
- 6 Unexpected Symptoms Of Hay Fever In Toddlers
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017