Watermelons are a great summer fruit your child can enjoy. They contain around 92% percent water and loads of essential nutrients. How are they good for your little tyke? Scroll down and read the post below to learn more about the health benefits of the fruit. We also mention some watermelon recipes for kids you can try this summer.
Nutrients In Watermelon:
Watermelons are storehouses of nutrients. For your benefit, we list the nutrients in watermelon, along with their health benefits:
- Lycopene: It is an antioxidant that helps maintain a healthy heart, bones and also prevents cancer.
- Vitamin A: This Vitamin is good for eyes and skin.
- Vitamin B1: This Vitamin helps the body to use food for getting energy.
- Vitamin B6: Helps in fighting infections.
- Vitamin C: This Vitamin makes the immune system stronger thereby keeps your child from falling sick.
- Citrulline: It is an amino acid that converts to arginine. This amino acid promotes healthy blood circulation and maintains cardiovascular health.
[ Read: Health Benefits Of Avocados For Kids ]
Health Benefits Of Watermelon For Kids:
Watermelons have a plethora of health benefits. Here are some of the amazing things that watermelon can do for your kid.
- Watermelons work wonders to combat the heat.
- Watermelons help prevent Asthma.
- Watermelons help maintain a healthy blood pressure.
- Watermelons help regulates the digestion and maintains healthy bowel movements.
- It also hydrates the body.
- Watermelons also reduce muscle soreness.
- Watermelons are good for maintaining a healthy skin.
- It is also called anti-inflammatory fruit. The lycopene present in watermelons is an inhibitor of various inflammatory processes. It works as an antioxidant and neutralizes free radicals in the body.
[ Read: Benefits Of Pomegranate For Kids ]
Health Risks Of Watermelon For Kids:
A moderate amount of watermelon is good for your kid’s health. However, as the saying goes that an excess of everything is bad. Thus, if your kid eating watermelon overeats and consumes more than a considerable amount of the fruit, then he might fall sick and experience some side effects. Here, we list some health risks and side effects of consuming too many watermelons:
- Stomach Bloating
[ Read: Symptoms Of Diarrhea In Kids ]
How Can You Serve Watermelon?
Does your budding champ make faces whenever you serve him Watermelon? Do not worry, and have a look at these delicious watermelon recipes for kids that you can prepare.
- Minted Watermelon Salad:
Cut a quarter of watermelon and put the pieces on the plate. Now add some amount of thin slices red onion, half cup mint leaves. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on it and serve.
- Tomato And Watermelon Salad:
This salad is for all palates. If your kid is a finicky eater, then make him a salad of tomato pieces, watermelon cut into smaller chunks topped up with some onion. He surely will ask for some more!
- Watermelon Juice:
If your sweetie hates eating the melon, then try offering him some juice. Chop some seedless watermelon and add finely grated ginger to it. Now add some lime juice to the paste and blend all the ingredients well in a blender till the mixture becomes smooth. Now sieve the mixture into a glass and add mint leaves to garnish. Here is watermelon smoothie for kids. Add some ice cubes and serve.
[ Read: Healthy Fruit Snacks For Kids ]
So, all you mommies out there, experiment with these easy to make watermelon preparations. You will surely hone in on a dish that your kid will relish.
Did you find the above post informative? Do you know of any novel ways to make watermelon for your kids? Tell us about your thoughts here. Leave a comment below. Fellow moms would love to hear from you.
- Top 20 Bread Recipes For Kids That You Can Try Today
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Eggs For Your Kids
- 7 Health Benefits Of Walnuts For Your Kid
- 10 Brilliant Health Benefits Of Cucumber For Kids
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- 18 Most Common Causes Of Male Infertility And Treatment Options - December 3, 2015
- Roseola In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - November 30, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Sodium Citrate During Pregnancy? - November 26, 2015