Do you feel bad after scolding your child? Do you often regret of not being able to be a good parent? Then you are not the only one who feels so.
Good parenting skills are always acquired with time. In order to become the best parent one has to keep on learning. Parenting is not something which can be taught in a school. And no one can become the best parent from Day 1. So take your first step towards being the ‘best parent’ and understand the suggested ways which can help improve your parental skills.
Top 10 Ways to Enhance Your Parenting Skills:
1: Be a Good Listener:
It is essential to understand your child and for that, it is important to listen to them. Many parents just keep on explaining the do’s and don’ts without giving the child an opportunity to explain his fears, anxieties and doubts. Be sure to give your total and undivided attention to your child, when they communicate with you.
2. Show Your Unconditional Love:
It is obvious that all parents love their child, but it is also necessary to show your love and affection visibly. After all, nobody, least of all a kid is a mind reader! An embrace every day and few loving words can make your child feel cherished and beloved. At the same time, the child will feel safe and happy.
3. Spend Some Quality Time with Your Children:
There is a difference between ‘spending time’ and ‘spending quality time’. Being a parent you should try to make the most of your time with your kids interactive, i.e., by playing games, telling stories or even by simply chatting about all things under the sky. This will strengthen your emotional bonding with your child.
[ Read: Parenting Styles ]
4. Be Firm, Fair and Friendly:
It is important to decide disciplinary rules at home. The rules should be fair and just which implies that punishment for breaking a rule should not be too harsh. However, in all cases the communication should be amicable, non-threatening and non-abusive. Your child should respect you and not be afraid of you.
5. Be Firm, Not Flakey in Your Boundaries:
Don’t make rules just for the sake of them! It is necessary to establish firm boundaries and to stick with them. One should not change rules frequently as per their convenience. If you strictly follow the rules that you had created, it sends a firm signal to your child to abide by them.
6. Set a Remarkable Example:
A parent is a child’s first role model and they should not have clay feet. What you tell your child and what you follow should be the same. As it is rightly said, a child might learn less from what you say but more from what you do. Be a role model to your child in all senses.
7. Use Appreciation, Not Condemnation:
Positive parenting is very important. Instead of always telling your children what not to do, try to tell them what to do. Also remember to give them proper praise and recognition for all the good work they do. You can also reward them for their good deeds; it ensures that such behaviour gets repeated.
8. Be Open to Learning:
Always keep on searching information about good parenting skills and understanding and learning them. You can browse for books on parenting skills, search the internet for some quick tips or simply learn from your peers. There is always a room for improvement so never stop learning.
[ Read: Parenting Books ]
9. Put Yourself in Your Child’s Shoes:
Before judging your children’s behaviour, it is necessary to understand their point of view. Also remember how you were, when you were a child. Always give them a chance to explain their behaviour. It is easy to be judgmental but more rewarding to be forgiving and understanding.
10. Be Patient with Yourself and Your Child:
Always remember that Rome was not built in a day. Never expect your child to change overnight or expect yourself to become a great parent instantaneously. It all takes time and changes come only gradually. So be patient.
We hope you will make use of the above tips for good parenting skills. One day when your child rises to great heights, you can be proud that you have played a significant part in his success and happiness. All the best!
- 10 Best Parenting Magazines In India
- 25 Tips To Help You Become A Better Parent
- Everything You Need To Know About Bad Parenting
- Top 10 Parenting Books You Should Definitely Read
- Top 10 Parenting Problems And Solutions
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- Is It Safe To Have A Transvaginal Scan During Pregnancy? - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014
- How Does Caffeine Affect Fertility In Men And Women? - September 29, 2014