Pregnancy is indeed an experience of its own kind; it’s a magical process that, in a relatively short period, gives you something that’s wonderful and priceless. However, post child birth – also known as postpartum – brings its own challenges.
What is Postpartum Rectal bleeding?
One of the most common problems faced by women is postpartum rectal bleeding. Post the child birth or delivery, many of the newly mothers might experience bleeding through the anus that is a cause of pain, discomfort and trouble.
Causes Of Postpartum Rectal Bleeding:
Like all ailments, this condition also has certain origins. Find below the main causes of postpartum rectal bleeding:
- Increased Abdominal Pressure:
Postpartum rectal bleeding occurs as a result of the pressure and increase in weight as the pregnancy progresses on the rectum of the woman.
It can also be caused due to constipation. When you pass hard stools, it might cause a rupture in anal muscles and tissues, leading to bleeding. This leads to hemorrhoids and small tearing in the anus muscles and as a result causes bleeding.
[ Read: Postpartum Urinary Incontinence ]
Cure For Postpartum Rectal Bleeding:
There are many simple and easy ways for you to deal with postpartum rectal bleeding and ease the occurrence of fissures and ruptures that lead to bleeding. Here they are:
1. Avoid Getting Constipated:
Constipation can worsen the problem and hence it becomes important to eat food that does not cause constipation, after child birth especially.
- Have high fibre foods and include more vegetables and fruits in your daily food intake.
- Have more bran with food and add more cereals to your daily diet
- Increase water intake, and also increase the fluid intake though juices, smoothies and shakes.
2. Respond In Time:
Do not suppress when Nature calls!
- It is important that you go to the bathroom as and when you feel like relieving yourself.
- Doing so is vital, as it will ease the pain and reduce the pressure on your anus.
You should get optimum amount of exercise to digest your food properly and improve your bowel movements. Consult your doctor to know the amount and level of exercise you should get each day and that it does not have an adverse impact on your health.
[ Read: Postpartum Haemorrhage ]
4. Fiber Supplement:
Sometimes, it is not possible to get total fibre, especially if you are travelling or live in a restricted area. In such cases, your doctor might recommend fibre supplement to help you improve digestion and bowel movement and help ease passing of stool.
Pain Relief Measures:
While you make certain dietary and lifestyle changes to your daily routine to deal with rectal bleeding, you can also take certain steps to ease the pain.
1. Reduce Itching: To reduce the itching, ensure you clean the anus each time you go to relieve yourself. Make sure you use gentle wipes to clean and remove any dampness.
2. Take Sitz Bath: You need to soak your bottom in water for 10-15 minutes every day for a few times each day.
3. Practice Kegel Exercises: It is important to exercise your muscles to help them heal faster without however causing more pain and trouble.
- Speak to a professional before you undertake any exercise.
- This will also help heal and deal with other postpartum muscle issues for your urethra and vagina.
[ Read: Postpartum Perineal Pain ]
4. Ice Packs: Ice packs provide relief by cooling the area and also numbing the nerves temporarily and reduce the sensation of pain.
5. Medication: If the problem persists and you do not feel any better, it is important you consult your doctor to prescribe you some medicines to ease the pain and fasten the healing process.
Rectal bleeding after delivery is a normal occurrence and you should not worry over it. It will go away with time on its own, but if the problem stays for long, it is a good idea to consult your doctor for treatment and relief.
Have experiences this already? Do share what methods you used to curb it with other parents in the comment section below:
- 8 Simple & Effective Ways To Cure Postpartum Edema
- 6 Important Measures To Tackle Postpartum Fatigue
- 10 Simple Ways To Relieve Back Pain Post Delivery
- 5 Important Measures To Follow During Postpartum Bleeding
Latest posts by Maanasi (see all)
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Nagpur City - April 25, 2016
- 25 Fun Facts And Information About Monkey For Kids - April 11, 2016
- 30 Top CBSE Schools In India For Your Kid - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Kanpur - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Indore - March 31, 2016
- List Of 20 Best CBSE Schools In Pune - March 23, 2016
- List Of 30 Best Schools In Delhi - March 23, 2016
- 30 Top And Best International Schools In India - March 18, 2016
- 25 Unknown Wolf Facts And Information For Kids - March 15, 2016
- List Of Top 15 CBSE Schools In Bangalore - March 14, 2016