Is your teen awkward socially? Do you want to help your teen make friends? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this article will be a good idea!
For teenagers, friends turn out to be a personal support group that provides a sense of security and also boosts confidence levels. Do you know as a parent you can help your teen shed his social inhibitions and make friends?
The article gives you five handy tips on how to help your teenager make friends easily. Want to know more? Read on to know here how to help teens make friends!
Simple Ways To Help Your Teen Make Friends Easily
1. Boost His Confidence:
Growing teens tend to be more self-conscious, and need someone to boost their morale on a regular basis. Praise your teen often for what he does, and offer a little constructive criticism along the way, but make sure you don’t hurt him in the process (1).
Your teen will soon turn into an adult, and you need to value his opinion even more than before. Adolescents need to have the assurance that their ideas are valuable. Simple acts of taking his suggestions into consideration can make your teen feel confident.
[ Read: Motivating A Teenager ]
2. Encourage Him To Engage In Activities:
Watching TV and playing video games may be your teen’s favorite pastime- but is it good for him? If your teen spends a lot of time at home and doesn’t participate in social and extra-curricular activities, he’s obviously more likely to have trouble making friends and interacting with others. Limit your teen’s TV time and encourage him to engage in activities that involve interaction with others. One of the best ways in helping teens make friends, particularly if you are new to a locality, is to encourage him to pursue a hobby. Ask your child to enroll in art workshops or language classes, or cricket coaching, to help him meet and get comfortable with other teens who share the same interests.
3. Establish A Good Parent-Child Relationship:
Establishing a healthy parent-child relationship is one of the steps toward making your child a better individual. Teens who have a positive relationship with their parents are also more likely to have healthy relationships with their peers (2).
Actively listening to your teen and making a genuine effort to connect with him will work wonders for your relationship with him. It will also create a support system for him. He will know he can count on your love and support.
4. Brush Up His Conversational Skills:
You can help your teen handle situations better by simply talking to him. If you notice your teen has been spending a lot of time alone, the best approach is to sit down and have a discussion about what’s making him unhappy and anxious (3).
Many teens also tend to be shy and introvert, and the best way to help them come out of their shell is to let them talk and master the art of making conversations.
[ Read: Parenting Teenagers ]
5. Accept And Move On:
One of the most important things you can do for your teen is to be supportive. Accept your child’s flaws and help him shape his skills. Your teen may have some social weaknesses, but give him the time and space to work out things on his own. Always make sure that you offer unconditional love to your teen. Your support for him shouldn’t depend upon his social success.
We hope these quick tips will help you support your child and encourage him to make new friends.
Hope by now you know how to help your teenager make friends. If you have a teen at home, tell us how you helped him hone his social skills and make buddies everywhere.
- Top 10 Helpful Tips To Deal With Teenagers
- 10 Tips To Increase Self Confidence In Teenagers
- 3 Amazing Activities To Improve Your Teenager’s Self Esteem
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015