Are you keen to have a baby though your biological clock has ticked away while you were in a rush to meet deadlines and clinch deals? Now when you have the time and the money to raise a baby your body seems hell bent on not cooperating. Does it sound familiar? Do not fret over it, as adoption is one of the answers to your problems.
If you have decided to go in for an adoption, there will be certain financial costs involved which you need to take care of in the beginning. Understanding the cost factor beforehand will help you avoid any problems later.
What Is The General Cost Of Adoption?
The cost of adoption could be as low as zero dollars to something around 40,000 dollars, depending on various factors. The agency from where you are adopting, the state you live in, the age of the baby or child, circumstances of the baby or child are all factors that affect the finances involved.
Here is a general overview of the adoption costs from different sources:
- Public agency or foster care adoption process: Zero dollars to 2,500 dollars.
- Licensed private agency adoption process: 4,000 dollars to 30,000 dollars.
- Independent adoption process: 8,000 dollars to 40,000 dollars.
- Inter-country adoptions: 7,000 dollars to 25,000 dollars.
Note that the above costs are approximate figures only, and the actual figures may differ.
[ Read: Baby Adoption Stages ]
Here is a look at the financial breakup of some of the above-mentioned adoption processes:
1. Public Agency Or Foster Care Adoption Process:
Most of these agencies have children with special needs.
- Initial fees will be in the range of zero to 2,500 dollars and will include travel expenses and attorney fees.
- Most states that come under a federal match program may reimburse the non-recurring adoption expenses up to a previously set limit of 2,000 dollars.
- In some states, the federal and state adoption subsidies may help with the ongoing care of those children who have special mental, physical or emotional needs.
- Before the adoption is finalized you need to negotiate and sign the adoption subsidy agreement.
2. Licensed Private Agency Adoption Process:
Keeping the other costs in mind, some families find this process less expensive than others. Check out here about private adoption costs:
- The fees will be in the range of 4,000 dollars to 30,000 dollars.
- The fee will most likely include the cost for birth parent counseling, a home study of the adoptive parents and preparing them for the same.
- It also includes the child’s birthing expenses and supervising the placement procedures that will happen from the time of birth till the child is placed safely with the adoptive parents.
- This fee will also include a part of the various overhead and operational expenses incurred by the agency.
[ Read: Step Parent Adoption ]
3. Independent Adoption Process:
Most adoptive parents who opt for an independent adoption process spend anything between 8,000 dollars and 40,000 dollars approximately. All states allow independent adoption process.
- Some states allow advertisements seeking birth parents, and this can cost somewhere around 5,000 dollars.
- In some states, you are also required to pay separately for the legal representation for the birth parents in addition to your legal representation.
- In case the child has any birth expenses you may need to bear it.
4. Inter-Country Adoptions:
The expenses for this type of adoption are around 7,000 dollars to 25,000 dollars. The fee does not include various other expenses involved.
- The initial fee includes the agency fees, immigration processing fees, the costs incurred in court and dossier fees.
- For adoptions in South and Central America, the costs for the child’s medical care and treatment are not included.
- The fee does not include expenses for the parents’ travel and stay while processing the adoption abroad.
- For adoptions in South and Central America, the costs for the child’s foster care are not included.
- Sometimes the parents may not be traveling with the child. In this case, the child needs an escort to accompany on the flight to the parents’ country. The cost for hiring an escort is also not included in the fee.
[ Read: How To Bond With Adopted Child ]
These were some of the main financial expenses involved in the adoption process depending on what method you choose.
If you are aware of the costs involved in the adoption process or know someone who does, please share your knowledge here.
- 5 Useful Tips To Be A Successful Single Parent
- 10 Parenting Styles You Should Be Aware Of
- 29 Tips To Help You Become A Better Parent
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016