Is your teen coughing and sneezing frequently? Is she suffering from low fever? If you said yes, your dear teenager might be suffering from whooping cough. It is crucial to treat whooping cough in teen immediately to prevent its aggravation and other related ailments. Read our post here and learn about the causes, symptoms, effective treatments, and prevention tips for whooping cough in teens.
What Is Whooping Cough?
Whooping cough in teens, medically popular as pertussis, is a bacterial infection that affects the respiratory system of teens. The affected teen experiences severe coughing spells that end in a ‘whooping’ sound as the teen inhales. Early detection and right line of treatment can cure the infection and prevent its aggravation.
Causes Of Whooping Cough In Teens:
Whooping cough in teen occurs due to Bordetella pertussis bacterium. The infection spreads through the air when an infected individual coughs or sneezes. So, the infection can easily occur in teens when they attend schools, colleges, and even at home. Also, overcrowded and unsanitary areas are high risk areas for the ailment (1).
[ Read: Symptoms Of Asthma In Teens ]
Symptoms Of Whooping Cough In Teens:
Symptoms of whooping cough or pertussis in teens are quite apparent. Here we list some prominent symptoms of the infection in teens.
- Severe coughing
- Low fever, usually, below 102 F
- Running nose
- Difficulty while eating due to intense coughing (2)
Diagnosing Whooping Cough In Teens:
A physical examination during the initial stage of whooping cough helps doctors diagnose and treat the infection easily. Doctors also consider the history of typical signs and symptoms in your teen. Also, throat culture helps diagnose the infection. Doctor might recommend a chest X-ray, in case she suspects pneumonia.
Treating Whooping Cough In Teens:
Early treatment of Pertussis is very important to prevent its spread and aggravation. Consult your doctor as soon as your teen shows the signs of the infection to help her get quick relief. Here are some effective treatments for the infection.
Having antibiotics during the first stage of whooping cough in teens restricts the infection and prevents it from turning more severe. Having antibiotics during the second stage may not be as effective as they are in the first stage, but they will minimize the degree of contagion. Physicians usually recommend a 14 days antibiotic therapy for teens. Make sure your teen completes the entire course of antibiotics to prevent the risk of relapses.
2. Supportive Care:
Supportive care is necessary to make your teen as comfortable as possible when you are suffering from pertussis. Provide your teen plenty of fluids and water daily to prevent the risk of dehydration and alleviate the symptoms of the infection. Offer your teen portions of meals or healthy, nutritious foods after small intervals if she cannot have large portions due to the discomfort. Also, help your teen to follow good hygiene practices.
In severe cases of whooping cough, the doctor may recommend hospitalizing the teen. Appropriate medical care and nutritious foods and fluids help in the early recovery of the teen and prevent other health hazards, such as pneumonia (3).
Preventing Whooping Cough In Teenagers:
Certain preventive measures can help prevent the spread of whooping cough infection and ensure good health of your teenager.
- Vaccination is the most effective way to prevent pertussis in teens.
- Maintain your home free from irritants, dust, smoke, and chemical fumes.
- Make your teen wash her hands before eating or drinking. Teach your teen good hygiene practices.
- Provide your teen plenty of fluids, juices, soups, and fruits to help her boost the immunity against various infections (4).
Did your teen suffer from whooping cough at any time? How did you treat it? Share your experience with other parents here. Leave a comment below.
- Top 10 Fitness Tips For Your Teenagers
- How To Understand Teenage Brain Development
- 5 Usual Causes Of Depression In Adolescents
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016