Are you suddenly noticing a streak of anger in your baby? Are you clueless about how to calm your baby? Well, as a new mom if you already dread your baby’s temperamental issues reading this post may be a good idea.
Anger is a normal human emotion. But, do you find handling your cranky baby a test of your patience? Find tips to help you watch out for your baby’s wrath and calm him. Want to know more? Go ahead with your read!
Why Does Your Baby Get Angry?
If your baby feels angry, it means he knows a tad about the difference between right and wrong. When your baby feels angry, it means your baby is feeling hurt, or he finds a situation unfair. It is a sign that your baby can understand the world around him and react to it (1).
However, you may start worrying when this anger starts getting regular or turns into violent or aggressive behavior. To prevent this from happening, it is important you channelize your baby’s emotions better.
[ Read: Signs Of Overstimulation In Babies ]
What Are The Common Signs Of Anger In Babies?
Learning to read the signs of anger in your baby will help you control and calm the situation before it turns extreme. Here are a few common signs that may hint that why your baby get angry:
- Your baby may be clenching his fists.
- Your baby may start speaking or making speaking sounds in a rush.
- Your baby may have a certain facial expression that shows anger, confusion or hurt.
- Your baby may hit someone or something.
[ Read: How To Soothe A Fussy Baby ]
How To Calm A Very Angry Baby?
Here are a few ways to help your baby calm down (2):
- Try and be attentive. If you spot the signs early, you will be able to soothe your baby before he gets worked up.
- Sit near your baby and make soothing sounds.
- Take your baby in your arms if he allows. Some babies may get more irritable if you try to touch them when they are angry.
- Try and gently soothe your baby’s back.
- Speak to your baby in a soft and soothing voice.
- Repeat ‘it’s okay’ and ‘I love you’ in a soft voice.
- If your baby is at an age where he can point out or speak, ask him to communicate why he is angry. Simple questions like ‘what happened’ or ‘what do you want’ will help you identify the cause of his outburst.
- Try and distract your baby with something you know your baby likes.
- You can take your baby to the balcony or for a quick walk.
- Massage your baby’s tummy gently. Your baby may also be crying due to colic or flatulence.
- See if your baby is hungry, sleepy or tired. It may make your baby extremely irritable.
- Your baby may be angry at seeing new faces or being in a place that has loud noise or bright lights. Take your baby out for a while and see if there is a change in behavior.
[ Read: Tips To Deal With Whiny Baby ]
Tips To Keep Your Cool:
It is difficult to remain calm when your baby is crying or shouting. The worst thing to happen when your baby gets angry is for you to lose your cool too. It will set a negative example for your baby. Here are a few things that can help you:
1. If you feel you will lose your cool, ask your partner or other family members for help.
2. Breathe deeply and count till ten.
3. Move out to a different room where you can’t hear your baby screaming. Of course, you first need to make sure there is a responsible adult present with your baby. Wait for a few minutes, and then tell yourself that all is fine and go back to your baby.
4. Rest as much as you can. Sometimes, lack of rest and sleep can make you impatient.
Be attentive and patient and help your baby resolve his feelings by venting them out. Remember to tell your baby how much you love him.
Noticed any signs of your baby showing anger? How did you soothe your baby? Share your experiences in the comments box below to help other moms.
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep
- Is It Safe For Your Baby To Sleep On One Side?
- 11 Effective Tips To Help Your Baby Sleep On The Floor
- Top 5 Baby Sleep Problems And Their Solutions