A woman’s body undergoes a lot of changes during pregnancy and after delivery. As such, along with adequate rest it is advisable for her to have wholesome diet consisting of all the essential nutrients. One of the most important nutrients that cannot be overlooked by women after delivery is calcium. Here is why increased calcium intake is a must for women post delivery.
6 Facts That You May Not Know!
Take a quick look at 6 surprising facts about increased calcium requirement after delivery.
1. Increased Requirement of Calcium
Most pregnant and breastfeeding women in India have low dietary calcium intake. Data from 10 Indian States shows that intake of calcium for women during pregnancy and lactation is only 400 mg whereas they need 1200 mg calcium per day.
2. The Calcium Requirement of the Baby
The baby requires 200-300 mg of calcium daily from breastmilk for the first six months. This calcium is important for helping the baby develop strong bones and teeth. The teeth and bones comprise of the 99% of body’s calcium.
3. Postpartum Loss of Calcium is Higher
Loss of calcium is four times higher during the nine months of lactation than during pregnancy. This loss in bone mineral density can be prevented with the intake of calcium.
4. Calcium is Lost on Daily Basis
As exclusive breastfeeding is a must for babies, a lot of calcium is lost from a mother’s body on daily basis. A lactating woman can lose 200-300 mg a day during breastfeeding.
5. Adequate Calcium Intake is a Must
Adequate intake of calcium by the breastfeeding mother is important for calcium-rich breastmilk and for prevention of osteoporosis which is a medical condition caused due to calcium deficiency.
6. Loss of Bone Mass
A mother’s body has to work overtime for meeting the breastfeeding requirements. As studies have shown that women often lose 3% to 5% of their bone mass during six months of breastfeeding to meet the baby’s growing need for calcium, nourishment of a mother is important for the nourishment of the baby.
Healthy mothers raise healthy babies. As such, it is advisable for new mothers to take right care of their health and diet after delivery. So, visit your doctor to seek advice on fulfilling the increased calcium requirement of your body after delivery. Know what your body needs. Take care for yourself as you are your newborns support system and remember that ultimately the ‘CARE COMES FROM YOU’!
Latest posts by Ayushi Goel (see all)
- Importance of Calcium in the Diet of New Mothers - February 20, 2018
- Can’t Do The Dishes But Won’t Have A Maid? Here’s The Best Solution! - February 7, 2018
- Why Increased Calcium Intake Is A Must For You Post Delivery? - February 3, 2018
- Growcheck - The World's FIRST Vertical Body Measure And Data Analysis Platform! - October 25, 2017
- Having Fears About Diapers? You Need To Come Out Of Them Now - October 25, 2017
- 5 Points To Remember When Shopping For Your Baby During Pregnancy - October 24, 2017
- Never Lose Another Photo Again With Capsule - The Smart Photo Assistant! - October 9, 2017
- Your Baby Is Developing Much Faster Than You Think! - September 28, 2017
- 8 Tricks That Guarantee Your Baby Will Sleep Through The Night - September 10, 2017
- Age Wise Diaper Requirements For Your Baby - September 10, 2017