Sure, you know how important it is to teach your child all about hygiene. And now that your tot is a preschooler, you need to be extra careful. So, how do you go about it? What steps should you follow? Fret not! Read our post Here, we look at how important is teaching hygiene to preschoolers and developing hygiene habits!
Why Is Hygiene For Preschoolers Important?
With proper personal hygiene, you can protect your little one from disease-producing germs. Good hygiene is the key to healthy living, and we may have written that line 1007 times, but it rings true! It is crucial you teach her about personal hygiene.
Children of her age adapt to the new changes easily and form a lifelong habit. Proper hygiene habits can help your toddler live a happier life (1).
7 Hygiene Habits For Preschoolers:
1. Washing Hands:
Get her to wash her hands before and after meals or after using the toilet. You can use the soap and entertain your child by making soap bubbles. She will love the trick and try to copy it, washing her hands in the process (2).
2. Oral Hygiene:
Teach your toddler to handle the brush properly with a strong grip and brush her teeth twice a day. Regular brushing prevents harmful gum infections or tooth decay. Show them how to use the toothbrush and clean the upper molars. Flossing is another important part of dental hygiene for preschoolers. Flossing removes the food particles stuck in the teeth (3).
[ Read: Toddler Dental Hygiene ]
Like adults, toddlers must bath regularly and keep the body clean and germ-free. Demonstrate proper bathing techniques to your toddler. You may ask her to take her bath and provide requisite assistance, whenever required. It will help her learn how to bathe.
4. Sneezing Etiquette:
Teach her how to use a handkerchief or tissue, whenever he coughs or sneezes. Show her how to dispose of the tissue. Sneezing Etiquette can help arrest the transmission of germs (4).
5. Short Nails:
Keep her nails clean and short. Teach her not to bite her fingernails. Germs residing in the big nail can enter the body and hamper her health. If your toddler has a habit of nail biting, cover the nails with a band aid for few days. Whenever he would take the nails in his mouth, he would not be able to bite it properly. It would help her get rid of this habit.
[ Read: Tips To Stop A Toddler From Biting ]
6. Using The Toilet:
Toilet-train children when they are about to enter preschool. Teach them how to wash their hands, after they use the toilet. Toilet training is essential and helps keep infections at bay and boost your little one’s immunity.
[ Read: Simple Ways To Discipline Your Toddler ]
7. Brush and Wash Hair Regularly:
Teach you toddler about proper hair washing habits. Most contagious germs reside in human hair and then enter the human body. Proper hair washing habits can help her keep her scalp clean and prevent hair infections. It is also important to teach her how to brush her teeth. Teach her how to brush her hair every day and look clean and tidy.
Setting up a daily routine of healthy hygiene habits can help your preschooler learn things easier. These habits will last throughout their lives. What methods did you use to teach her about personal hygiene? Was she able to follow your instructions easily? How would you add to the above list?
If you have questions about personal hygiene, or you have some exciting ways to train preschoolers on personal hygiene, tell us about them below. Share your experiences with other mommies here!
- 5 Helpful Tips To Potty Train Your Three Year Old Baby
- 5 Tips To Teach Toddlers To Hold A Pencil Correctly
- 10 Effective Ways To Build Confidence In Toddlers
- 5 Effective Ways To Encourage Your Toddler To Talk
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016