Origin, Meaning, And History Of Alana
Alana has multiple origins. In the Irish language, it means ‘infant’ and ‘precious’ in Old High German. The name translates to ‘exalted’ in Aramaic, which denotes a person of great position or prestige. In Hawaiian, Alana means ‘harmony’ or ‘awakening.’ It could also be a 19th-century version of an old Chinese nickname. Alana is an Irish name derived from the Celtic name Alan or ‘leanbh,’ a Gaelic word for tenderness. In Hebrew, it means ‘tree’ and is used for children born around the time of the Jewish festival Tu B’shvat, ‘the Birthday of the Trees.’
The name probably gained popularity as a female version of the male name Alan. The Bretons, an ethnic group from what is currently western France, were the first to introduce the name Alan to England. The name gained popularity in Scotland and Ireland, where it was especially popular. Thus, the feminine version Alana could have originated in Ireland because the name Alan is widely used there. In the majority of countries across the world, Alana has largely been given to girls. Although, in Hawaii, the name Alana is considered gender-neutral or unisex.
Ailean, Ailín, Alain, Alaina, Alan, Alani, Alanna, Alen, Allan, Alun, Allana, and Lana are a few variations of the name. The short versions of Alana, like Al, Ala, Alani, Ali, Alia, Ana, and Lana, are a few nicknames parents prefer for their children.
Alana may sound uncommon, but there are many famous fictional characters with the name. Alana, a female Transformer from Transformers: Generation 1, is a leader among the Tlalakans of Tlalakan, pushing them to revolt against Deceptitran, a Decepticon invention designed to extract energy from her captive people. Another famous character with the name is a mermaid named Alana, who appears in ‘The Little Mermaid.’ She is Queen Athena’s and King Triton’s second child. Other notable ones are Alana Bloom, in the TV series ‘Hannibal,’ and Alana Beck, from the musical ‘Dear Evan Hansen.’
How To Pronounce Alana?
Famous People With The Name Alana
- Alana EthridgeAmerican actress, best known for ‘The Silencer & the Sky’ and ‘A Simple Promise’
- Alana Schofield DavisAmerican singer-songwriter, best known for ‘Blame It on Me,’ which was chosen as one of Time’s five best albums of 1997
- Alana GraceAmerican actress and singer-songwriter, best known for her song ‘Black Roses Red’
- Alana Jane NicholsAmerican Paralympic wheelchair basketball player, a five-time Paralympian and a six-time medalist
- Alana Rene BlanchardAmerican professional surfer and model, took first place in shortboard at the 2005 T&C Women’s Pipeline Championships
- Alana Mychal HaimAmerican musician and actress, member of the pop rock band Haim
- Alana ThompsonAmerican child star of the TLC reality TV series Here Comes Honey Boo Boo
Alana On The Popularity Chart
Alana is a unique name that has witnessed fluctuations in popularity over the years. Check the two graphs to know more.
Popularity Over Time
The name grew steadily in popularity peaking in 2007 with 2460 babies per million being given this name. See the graph to know more about it.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
The name’s ranking has improved since the 1980s. It ranked 224 in 2021.Check the graph to know more.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Alana
Alana sounds soothing to the ears. If you are looking for similar-sounding names but with a different meaning, here are some suggestions.
Names With Similar Meaning As Alana
If you love the meaning behind Alana, take a look at these options which mean the same as Alana.