Origin, Meaning, And History Of Aoife
The name Aoife has Gaelic, Scottish, and Irish roots. It is most likely derived from the Irish Gaelic word aoibh, which means ‘beautiful’ or ‘radiance.’ The name also originates from the Gaulish name Esvios, possibly linked to the tribe name Esuvii and the theonym Esus.
Aoife is pronounced as EE-fa. Despite having no connection to the Biblical name Eva, which was spelled Éabha in Irish, Aoife is often translated as Eva or Eve owing to how similar the two names sound. Aoif, Aoife, Aoife, Beefa, Affee, and, Sweeffee are a few nicknames that can go well with this unique name.
The name Aoife has deep roots in Irish mythology and culture. Aoife was a female warrior who appeared in the Cú Chulainn narrative and was the stepmother of the children of Lír. According to legends, Dermot, King of Leinster, had a daughter named Aoife. In 1169, she wed Strongbow, the commander of the Norman conquest of Ireland, Richard de Claire, also known as Richard. Aoife was first used as a forename in Ireland in the 20th century in 1912.
The name also found references in popular culture. They include Aoife, the main character in The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge, Aoife Brubeck, the character in The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, Aoife Rabbitte, a character in The Guts by Roddy Doyle, and Aoife Riordan, in Instructions For A Heatwave by Maggie O’Farrell.
Famous personalities who bear the name include Irish actress Aoife Mulholland, American singer Aoife O’Donovan, Irish writer Aoife Dooley, Irish director Aoife Spillane-Hinks, Irish-British author Aoife Clifford, and Irish professional wrestler Aoife Valkyrie.
How To Pronounce Aoife?
Famous People With The Name Aoife
- Aoife DooleyIrish writer who won U Magazine’s 30 under 30 awards for best comedian in 2017
- Aoife MulhollandIrish actress known for her role in the hit BBC TV show How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?
- Aoife O’DonovanAmerican singer best known as the lead singer for the string band Crooked Still
- Aoife O’RourkeIrish boxer, winner of the gold medal in the middleweight division at the 2019 Women’s European Amateur Boxing Championships
- Aoife WalshIrish fashion model crowned Miss Ireland in 2013
- Aoife Ní FhearraighIrish singer who worked with Moya Brennan to produce her much acclaimed 1996 album Aoife
- Aoife CusackIrish professional wrestler who performs in WWE NXT under the ring name Aoife Valkyrie
Aoife On The Popularity Chart
Aoife is a unique name mostly common in Ireland. Check out the graphs below to understand how the name performed over time.
Popularity Over Time
Aoife’s popularity took a massive leap in 2018 when 116 babies per million were given the name in the US. However, the number came down to 107 babies per million in 2021. Find the graph below for detailed information.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Aoife’s ranking has improved in the past decade. Check the graph to learn more. As of 2021, the name is ranked at 1851. Check out the graph to learn more about the name’s ranking trends.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Aoife
If you liked how unique Aoife sounds, check out our list of similar-sounding names.
Names With Similar Meaning As Aoife
Looking for other names with the meaning beautiful or radiance? Here is a list of names with similar meanings to Aoife.