Origin, Meaning, And History Of Cassius
This handsome name Cassius of diverse origins has a rich past. It is derived from the Latin word ‘cassus,’ which means ’empty,’ ‘vain,’ or ‘hollow.’ Despite the meaning of the name, it has been taken by many early saints and philosophers.
The name is also seen as having been derived from the word ‘cassis,’ which means ‘helmeted.’ It would not be wrong to think that this name was given so they could become strong, helmeted warriors. Cassius was the most common name in ancient Rome, as the society had many warriors during that time.
Gaius Cassius Longinus, the prime mover in the assassination of Julius Caesar in 44 BC, is perhaps the first notable name bearer in history. People like Cassius, Longinus, the Greek rhetorician born in 213 AD, and the great-grandson of Gaius Cassius Longinus, Gaius Cassius Longinus (Consul 30), are other initial mentions of the name.
Although Cassius is an ancient name, it doesn’t have many variations. It is spelled the same in most languages. Only in German, the spelling changes to Kasius and Kassius. The popular feminine form of this name is Cassia. One of the most prominent pieces of literature where this name is mentioned is the ‘Tragedy of Julius Caesar’ by William Shakespeare.
Cassius is a famous song by Foals, the English Indie rock band. Cassius au Bellona is a character’s name in Pierce Brown’s ‘The Red Rising Trilogy.’ In the 2018 film, ‘Sorry to Bother You,’ the protagonist is Cassius Green, was played by LaKeith Stanfield.
In modern times, it is the birth name of the famous boxer Muhammad Ali. Celebrities have also used variations of the name for their children. For example, singer Bobby Brown and Balthazar Getty chose the standard version of Cassius for their sons, while Vanessa Marcil and Brian Austin Green named their offspring Kassius.
How To Pronounce Cassius?
Famous People With The Name Cassius
- Cassius Marcellus ClayMuhammad Ali’s birth name
- Cassius Marcellus ClayAmerican abolitionist appointed b y Abraham Lincoln as the U.S minister to Russia
- Cassius VaughnNFL football player who has played for Indianapolis Colts, Detroit Lions, and Baltimore Ravens
- Cassius Lee MarshAmerican football outside linebacker drafted by Seattle Seahawks
- Cassius Marcellus CoolidgeAmerican artist known for his series Dogs Playing Poker
- Gaius Avidius CassiusSyrian Roman general who served as the governor of Roman Egypt, and Julia Cassia Alexandra
- Cassius Winston American basketball player for Bayern Munich of the German Basketball Bundesliga
- Saint Cassius of ClermontChristian martyr of the 3rd century
- Cassius DioRoman senator who published 80 volumes on ancient Rome history
- Cassius ChaereaRoman soldier served as a tribune in the army of Germanicus
- Cassius CrieghtneyT.V actor known for playing Donny in Odd Squad
Cassius On The Popularity Chart
The name became popular from the 2000s and continues to grow. Take a look at the graphs below to learn more.
Popularity Over Time
The name’s usage has been increasing steadily from 2001. From just 11 babies per million in 1980, Cassius has gained popularity and reached a high of 604 babies per million in 2021.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Cassius has seen a drop in its rank from the 80s. It reached its lowest rank in 2007. This chart highlights it accurately.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Cassius
Cassius is simple to pronounce, and so is loved by many. Here are some more names that sound the same.
Names With Same Meaning As Cassius
Do you need more names for your child that mean the same as Cassius? Here are some suggestions for you.