Origin, Meaning, And History Of Isaac
Isaac is a Hebrew name derived from the word Yitzhak, meaning ‘laughter’ or ‘he will laugh.’ In the Bible, the couple Abraham and Sarah were promised by God to have a son named Isaac, despite their old age. According to popular derivation, the name is related to Sarah’s laughter and happiness upon giving birth to a son at her advanced age. Isaac is one of the three patriarchs of the Jewish people, and he is also revered as a prophet and an ancestor in the Jewish and Islamic religions.
The name is prominent in many cultures worldwide and spelled differently across various languages. The Hebrew name Yitzhak underwent different transliterations across various languages in the first Greek translation of the Bible. It was initially rendered as Isaak, which later evolved into Isaac in Latin, Spanish, French, and English. However, in German, it is spelled as Isaak, while in the Netherlands, it takes the form of Isack, and in Scandinavian countries, it is written as Isak. Popular nicknames for Isaac include Izzy, Ike, and Itzik.
Isaac is a popular name that has been given to numerous fictional characters across various media. One of the most well-known fictional characters with the name Isaac is Isaac Clarke, the protagonist of the “Dead Space” video game series.
Another prominent fictional character is Isaac Lahey from the television show “Teen Wolf.” Isaac Mendez from the TV series “Heroes” is also a famous character. He is a talented artist who has the ability to paint the future. Another character Isaac from the video game “The Binding of Isaac,” must escape his mother, who God has commanded to sacrifice him. Isaac Sumdac is a character from the animated TV show “Transformers: Animated” who is a genius inventor and the creator of the Autobot team.
How To Pronounce Isaac?
Famous People With The Name Isaac
- Isaac NewtonEnglish mathematician, formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation
- Isaac WhiteEnglish Bass player with the Indie rock band RedFaces
- Isaac WayneU.S. Congressman, served as a Federalist Party member of the U.S. House of Representatives for Pennsylvania’s 4th congressional district from 1823 to 1825.
- Isaac YiadomAmerican football player and cornerback for the New Orleans Saints of the National Football League
- Isaac SladeAmerican lead singer in The Fray
- Isaac OkoroAmerican basketball player for the Cleveland Cavaliers of the National Basketball Association
- Isaac BrockAmerican lead singer in Modest Mouse
- Isaac HansonAmerican musician, guitarist in Hanson
- Isaac Israel HayesAmerican Arctic explorer, physician, and politician
- Isaac HellerAmerican toy manufacturer, co-founder of Remco
- Isaac KashdanAmerican chess grandmaster, twice U.S. Open champion
Isaac On The Popularity Chart
After experiencing low popularity for years, Isaac finally peaked in 2007. Check out the two graphs below to know how this name is doing on the popularity chart.
Popularity Over Time
Isaac became the most-loved baby name among parents in 2007, with 10,264 babies given the name. Check the graph below to learn more about it.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Among other names, Isaac’s ranking in popularity was the highest at the beginning of the 1980s. Since then, the name didn’t rank much higher in the chart.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Isaac
Do you like the sound of Isaac? Here is a list of similar-sounding names for you.
Names With Similar Meaning As Isaac
For more unique names that mean the same as Isaac, take a glance here.