Origin, Meaning, And History of Kasumi
Kasumi, a feminine name, is believed to be of Japanese origin. The Japanese word kasumi implies ‘mist,’ which etymologists believe originates from the words Ka and Sumi, meaning ‘blossom, flower’ and ‘pure, clear,’ respectively.
Historically, Japanese scriptures are of three types, among which Kanji is a popular and integral one. It is a set of characters that originated from Chinese characters. These can be interchanged based on the choice of characters, leading to different meanings of the same name. For instance, in the Kanji scriptures, Kasumi implies ‘lovely, beautiful,’ ‘spring,’ ‘song,’ ‘serene,’ ‘harmony,’ ‘long life,’ ‘ocean,’ ‘elegant,’ and ‘vermillion’ among many others.
The name is prevalent in Japanese cultures and languages but is rare in America. However, if you wish to name your little angel Kasumi, you should know that it is pronounced as kah-soo-mee.
In the popular culture of Japanese industry, Kasumi is quite a popular name. However, elsewhere, it has not been able to garner much popularity among screenwriters or even novelists. The video game series Dead or Alive includes a character named Kasumi. Most notably, the DC comics have a character by the name of Cassandra Cain, whose alternative name is Kasumi.
The children’s favorite media franchise Pokémon also has a character named Kasumi, who is also famously named Misty. The manga series Ranma ½ and Jujutsu Kaisen both include characters named Kasumi Tendo and Kasumi Miwa, respectively. Interestingly, the novel The Kouga Ninja Scrolls and a light novel series titled Bofuri include characters named Kasumi Gyoubu and Kasumi.
How To Pronounce Kasumi?
Famous People With The Name Kasumi
- Kasumi ArimuraJapanese actress, best known for TV series Hiyokko
- Kasumi IshikawaJapanese table tennis player, best known for winning a silver medal at the 2020 Summer Olympics
- Kasumi NakaneJapanese actress and model, best known for her role in Gun Crazy 3: The Big Gundown
- Kasumi NishiharaJapanese long-distance runner, best known for winning gold in the 10,000 meters in the 2009 Summer Universiade
- Kasumi SaekiJapanese boxer, best known for holding the WBO female mini flyweight title since 24 April 2019
- Kasumi SuzukiJapanese actress, best known for playing Yurine in the video animated series Karas
- Kasumi TakahashiJapanese-Australian rhythmic gymnast, best known for winning five gold medals in the 1994 Commonwealth Games
Kasumi On The Popularity Chart
The two graphs by the SSA suggest how Kasumi has fared over the years in terms of popularity and ranking.
Popularity Over Time
As the graph suggests, Kasumi reached its peak popularity in 2008, when 11 babies per million were given the name. Go through the graph to learn more.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Kasumi has seen various fluctuations in terms of ranking over the years. In 2008, Kasumi got its best ranking of 10,420.Source: Social Security Administration
Name With Similar Sound As Kasumi
Check the names below if you like how beautiful and sweet Kasumi sounds for your cutie.
Name With Similar Meaning As Kasumi
Here are some alternative names for you if you liked the meaning of Kasumi for your little angel.