Origin, Meaning, And History Of Liliana
The feminine name Liliana has its roots in Latin and is derived from the words ‘lilium’ or ‘lilion,’ both of which mean lily. Some claim that Liliana is a combination of two names ‘Lily’ and ‘Anna.’ The name is therefore associated with qualities such as purity, innocence and rebirth. In the Christian context, the flower is also linked to the Virgin Mary.
Another origin of the name, Lilian, dates back to the 16th century. It could have come from ‘lilium,’ the Latin version of the name Lily. This could be a term of endearment derived from the name Elizabeth.
Lilies are also tied to the idea of fertility and femininity. The story of how lilies sprung to life in Greek mythology is quite interesting. Hera, the queen of the Gods and the wife of Zeus was tricked into breastfeeding a mortal baby, and upon her discovery she flew in a rage and cast the baby aside. In the midst of her fury, a few drops of breast milk fell to the ground and according to Greek myth, this was how the first lilies grew.
Greek mythology is not the only culture to associate the name with fertility. Ancient Mesopatamian empires, Babylonia and Assyria have both associated the flowers to their goddess Ishtar, a goddess of creation and fertility.
It is one of the top girl names in Italian and Hispanic culture. This pretty name has quite a choice for nicknames starting with Lily, Lili, Lila, Anna, Ann, Annie, Lila, Lil, Lia, Lilia, Liana, and Nana. A few spelling variations of the name are Lily, Lilian, Lily Ann, Lilyana, Lilyanne, Lilias, Lilly, Lil, and Lilia.
James Gandolfini, most popularly known as Tony Soprano for his role in the television series ‘The Sopranos’ named his granddaughter Liliana. The Japanese manga ‘Black Bullet’ includes a character by the name Liliana Licorice. She sometimes serves as a nurse and with her arsenal of medical knowledge, she is able to help and treat anyone who is injured with the appropriate treatment.
How To Pronounce Liliana?
Famous People With The Name Liliana
- Liliana AyaldeFormer United States Ambassador to Brazil
- Liliana Barba MeineckeMexican voice actress and voice director who was a voiceover for Alex Dunphy in Modern Family, Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man 3
- Liliana Berry Davis MumyAmerican actress who appeared in the Cheaper By The Dozen movies and in the second and third films of The Santa Clause trilogy
- Liliana BlumMexican writer, one of the first in her generation whose works are translated to English
- Liliana CavaniItalian film director and screenwriter, rose to popularity after the success of her 1974 feature film Il portiere di notte (The Night Porter)
- Luminiţa Liliana DobrescuRetired Romanian freestyle swimmer who won medals at the 1987, 1991, and 1993 European Aquatics Championships
- Liliana MayoPeruvian psychologist and special education teacher, founder and general director of Centro Ann Sullivan del Perú
- Liliana PorterArgentinian contemporary artist, co-founder of New York Graphic Workshop
Liliana On The Popularity Chart
Based on the graphs provided by the US Social Security Administration, the name Liliana has experienced a significant surge in popularity and continues to rise in both rank and usage in recent years. Go through the charts for a more detailed understanding.
Popularity Over Time
The popularity of the name has only been going uphill since 1987. The highest recorded number was seen in the year 2018 with 2791 babies per million possessing the name.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Simultaneously with the increase in popularity, the graph below shows that the ranking of the name Liliana is improving too. It went from being ranked 556 in 1984 to 104 in 2021.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Liliana
If you enjoy the lilt of the name Liliana, here are a few more names you can consider.
Names With Similar Meaning As Liliana
Are you into names that are associated with flowers? Liliana is a great choice but if you’re looking for more names that have a similar connotation, here are a few suggestions.