Origin, Meaning, And History Of Maren
Maren is a simple yet beautiful girl name of Latin and Hebrew origins. This name means ‘sea’ or points to someone from the sea in Latin. Another meaning of the term is ‘star of the sea.’ In Hebrew, Maren means ‘rebellion.’ The name in Danish also has the same meaning. In French, the meaning of the name is ‘ocean loving.’ Maren is also a Germanic feminine name. At the beginning, it was a Danish form of the name Marina. Many consider it a variation of the name Mary.
The term is also quite popular as a surname. Many believe that Maren might have arisen from the Latin term ‘Marinus,’ meaning ‘of the sea.’ However, this term could have risen from the feminine name Marina and also Marinus, the Roman family.
In addition to this, the name is also a diminutive of ‘Emerentia,’ which comes from the Latin ‘Emeritus.’ This was a title given to retired soldiers. In Latin, the word Emeritus was used for soldiers who had completed their duty.
Although a girl name, Maren has different boy name variations as well. As a feminine name, its variations include Marin, Merry, Meriel, Mally, and Marieta. As a boy name, its variants include Marin, Marino, and Maryn.
The spelling Maryn is also used for the gorgeous coastal county north of San Francisco. The name is well-known among country singers, songwriters, and artists of all genres. The name is currently topping the popularity charts. Until 2020, it was on the list of America’s top 500 baby names.
One of the well-known occurrences of the name in the entertainment world occurred in the 1978 to 1979 television series Battlestar Galactica. In it, Maren Kawehilani Jensen, a former model and actress, portrayed lieutenant Athena, and was much appreciated by all.
Another prominent occurrence of the name comes as Maren Elizabeth, who is an alias of Six in the series ‘I am Number Four‘ by Pittacus Lore.
How To Pronounce Maren?
Famous People With The Name Maren
- Maren MorrisAmerican singer and songwriter known for her debut album Hero
- Maren HassingerAfrican-American artist and educator who was the director emeritus of the Rinehart School of Sculpture at the Maryland Institute College of Art for ten years
- Maren Elizabeth SeidlerAmerican track and field athlete and an eleven-time winner of the event at the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships
- Maren TschinkelGerman international supermodel and beauty pageant titleholder who was also Miss Germany 2018
- Maren Elisabeth BangNorwegian cookbook writer wrote the first printed Norwegian cookbook Huusholdnings-Bog, indrettet efter den almindelige Brug i norske Huusholdninger in 1831
- Maren Whitney OrdCanadian singer-songwriter known for writing ‘Eternity’ and ‘Falling Slowly’
Maren On The Popularity Chart
Maren was not a popular name in the 1980s and 1990s. But that changed in the 2000s. You can see how much its popularity has gone up from 2000 to 2020 in this graph.
Popularity Over Time
Maren witnessed a peak in popularity in 2020. During this year, 702 babies per million were given this name.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Maren’s rank was high in 1991. But fast forward in 2020, it has become one of the top 500 baby names.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Maren
Maren sounds sweet and seems like an ideal feminine name. But if you are still searching for more, have a look at the names below.
Names With Similar Meaning As Maren
Are you a seal-lover and desire to explore more names indicating sea or ocean. Check out the names below.