Origin, Meaning, And History Of Mika
Mika is a modern, stylish, gender-neutral name with roots in Latin, Hungarian, Japanese, Hawaiian, Hebrew, and Czech. Because it has varied origins, the name Mika holds many meanings.
The name’s Hungarian, Japanese, and Russian origins suggest that Mika means ‘beautiful fragrance.’ Meanwhile, its Hebrew roots indicate that the name is derived from the Hebrew ‘mīkhā’ē‘l’ meaning ‘who is like God?’ It is the name borne by one of the archangels in the Bible, who is the closest to God and is responsible for carrying out God’s judgments, making it a popular choice among Christians. In the New Testament, Michael leads heaven’s army in the war against Satan. He is, therefore, considered the patron saint of soldiers. In Japan, the name is usually given to a girl and means ‘new moon’ or ‘the third day of the month.’
Micah, one of the many variants of Mika, is also an important figure in the Old Testament of the Bible, making the name a popular choice among the Jews. He is considered one of the Twelve Minor Prophets of the Hebrew Bible and the author of the Book of Micah.
This gender-neutral name can be used as a given name, nickname, and surname. The name is short for Michael, Mikael, and Miroslav or Michaela and Mikaela. It is pronounced “MYE-kah” or, more commonly, “MEE-kah.” Although a cute nickname by itself, Mika cab also be used as Meeks. In addition, the name has several variations, such as Mica, Micah, and Mikah.
Mika Samuels, played by Kayla Kennedy, was popular on the TV show ‘The Walking Dead.’ Mika Grainger, played by Laura Drummond, is a character on the British TV series ‘Waterloo Road.’ Mika is also a playable character in the Street Fighter video game series Rainbow “R.” The name also features in a plethora of manga and anime storylines.
How To Pronounce Mika?
Famous People With The Name Mika
- Mika SinghA playback singer of Indian origin, who has sung some popular Bollywood songs, won numerous awards and has sold out multiple concerts
- MikaThe stage name of Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., a Lebanese singer-songwriter
- Mika Pauli HäkkinenNicknamed “The Flying Finn,” he is a Finnish former racing driver. He won the Formula One World Drivers’ Championship in 1998 and 1999, representing team McLaren
- Mika NakashimaJapanese singer and actress whose studio albums have reached number one in Japan’s Oricon album chart
- Mika Juhani SaloFinnish former professional racing driver who competed in Formula One between 1994 and 200 and his best ranking was 10th in the world championship in 1999
Mika On The Popularity Chart
The unisex name Mika has steadily grown in popularity over time. Look at the following graphs to know more.
Popularity Over Time
The name Mika has been through ups and downs but climbing upwards to reach a high of 203 babies per million in 2017.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
The name Mika has seen fluctuation in terms of ranking over the years. However in recent years, the name has experienced a downward trend, only slightly seeing an improvement in 2017.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Mika
Mika is a great name for those looking for a short and sweet name. Explore other names that sound similar below.
Names With Similar Meaning As Mika
Do you want more names that share their meaning with Mika? Listed below are some options.