Origin, Meaning, And History Of Ralph
Ralph is a male given name of English and Scandinavian origin. The name’s Scandinavian roots originate from the ancient Norse name Ráðúlfr, meaning “wolf counsel.” It was introduced to pre-Middle Ages England and transformed into the Old English name Rædwulf. On the other hand, the English origin of the name can be traced back to the Old English names Rædwulf and Radulf, which share the same root as the Old Norse name Raðulfr, with “rað” meaning “counsel” and “ulfr” meaning “wolf.” The name was spelled Ralf until the 18th century, following which the more stylish ‘ph’ out-favored the ‘f’. The name is a timeless classic naming option for parents.
The masculine name Ralph has been around for a long time and was on the top 30 list from the 1870s to the 1920s. Ralph was a common first name among the Normans and the native English. This monosyllabic name is pronounced “rælf.” The name has several variations such as Rafe, Raife, Raif, Ralf, Raoul, and Raul.
The name has a number of notable namesakes in popular culture. Ralph Touchett is a pivotal figure in Henry James’ The Portrait of a Lady. Ralph is also the athletic and charismatic protagonist in the 1954 novel Lord of the Flies by British author William Golding. Ralph is a giant but soft-hearted man of a fictional arcade game in the animated movie series Wreck-It Ralph. Ralph Cramden was the lead character in the 1955 sitcom The Honeymooners.
The name is also widely popular due to the Ralph Lauren Corporation, a world-famous fashion company founded in 1967 by American fashion designer Ralph Lauren. This fashion house has dressed famous celebrities from all around the world and has some popular names donning the role of the brand’s ambassadors.
How To Pronounce Ralph?
Famous People With The Name Ralph
- Ralph Waldo Emerson An American essayist, lecturer, philosopher, poet, and a leading figure of the transcendentalist movement in the US
- Ralph Vaughan Williams, OMAn English composer, his works spanned many genres, from symphonies and operas to choral music and film scores
- Ralph NaderAn American political activist, author, and attorney, known for his advocacy for consumer protection and governmental transparency
- Ralph George Macchio Jr.An American actor, known for his roles in Karate Kid films and Cobra Kai television series
- Ralph Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-FiennesKnown professionally as Ralph Fiennes, he is an English actor, director, and producer, popular for his roles in critically acclaimed films such as Schindler’s List, The English Patient, and The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ralph On The Popularity Chart
This name has had similar experiences in its performance on both the popularity and ranking charts. Study these charts to know more.
Popularity Over Time
The masculine name Ralph was widely used in the initial period of its inception. However, its popularity has dwindled ever since.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
The name Ralph ranked at an all time best in the 1980s. However, its ranking deteriorated over the years, and reached 21,441 in 2007. Read the graph to know the trend in detail.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Ralph
Do you want to discover more names that sound like Ralph? Take a look at some options below.
Names With Same Meaning As Ralph
There are many other names that share the same meaning as Ralph. Some of them are listed below. Check them out.