Origin, Meaning, And History Of Todd
The name Todd originates from the Middle English word “todde,” which means “fox.” Additionally, Todd has a British origin, meaning “quick wit.” Initially, the name was used as a nickname for people who were cunning or sly, likely because of the fox’s reputation for being clever and quick-witted.
One of the earliest recorded uses of the name Todd was in the 14th century when it was used as a surname in England. It is believed to have originated in the country’s northern regions, where it was probably used to refer to someone who was a skilled hunter or trapper of foxes. “Wily tod” appears in Wickliffe’s works, and B. Jonson uses it. Before fox hunting became a popular sport, churchwardens were required to pay for every fox killed, and a cohort of men who hunted foxes and other small vermin made a modest existence under the names Todhunter and Todman, which have since become well-known surnames.
The surname Todd first appeared as Hugo, Ardin Tod, first recorded in Norfolk in 1168–1175 and again in Oxfordshire in 1225. Richard le Todde and Richard Todd were discovered in the Worcestershire Subsidy Rolls in 1275 and 1231, respectively, a few years later.
Tod, Tad, Thad, Tadd, Tadhg, Todd, Tode, Toddie, Toddman, and Todrick are variations used worldwide. T-AA-d and T-odd are the only two main pronunciations of this short name.
The name Todd has been used for many fictional characters throughout literature, cinema, and television history. One famous character is Todd Anderson. He is one of the key characters in the 1989 movie “Dead Poets Society.” He is a reticent kid with difficulty figuring out where he fits in. Todd learns to come out of his shell and embrace his creativity with the direction of his English instructor, Mr. Keating. Other prominent characters are Todd Chavez in “Bojack Horseman” and Todd Packer in “The Office.”
How To Pronounce Todd?
Famous People With The Name Todd
- Todd AgnewAmerican Christian musician and songwriter who is best-known song is “Grace Like Rain”
- Todd AlcottAmerican screenwriter, playwright, and actor best known for “Just Your Luck” and “1998: Antz”
- Todd AlsupAmerican pianist and singer-songwriter has been profiled in Billboard Magazine and Performing Songwriter and featured on MTV
- Todd ArmstrongAmerican actor, best known for playing the titular role in the cult classic Jason and the Argonauts
- Todd AtwaterAmerican politician who served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from the 87th district from 2010 to 2018
- Todd Alan BlackledgeAmerican football quarterback in both the NCAA and National Football League
- Todd Tamanend ClarkAmerican poet known for his musical blend of Native American heritage, glam fashion consciousness, cyberpunk attitude, and lyrical approach to scientific and sociological subjects
Todd On The Popularity Chart
Todd is a common name in English-speaking countries and its popularity has steadily declined over time. Examine the two graphs below to understand the popularity and ranking over the years.
Popularity Over Time
Todd was a popular name with around 4130 babies per million sharing the name in 1980. However, in 2021, only 114 babies per million shared the name. Check the graph to know more.Source: Social Security Administration
Rank Over Time
Ranking of Todd was the highest in 1983 at 12157. It touched its lowest rank in 2007 and recovered only slightly afterward. Go through the graph to know more.Source: Social Security Administration
Names With Similar Sound As Todd
Todd is an easy-to-pronounce name. If you want to explore more such names, here is a list.
Names With Similar Meaning As Todd
Did you like the meaning of Todd and are looking for names with similar meaning? Have a look at the suggestions below.