All mamas know that breast milk is liquid gold. You don’t want to waste your breastmilk if you are in oversupply. Breastmilk is nutritious and offers many benefits for your little one. Now you can use your breast milk to pamper your baby’s skin as well by making a breast milk bath. Women have been making breast milk baths for their baby’s for centuries now.
What Is A Breast Milk Bath?
It’s a bath that is made for a baby using mama’s breast milk. The breast milk is watered down. All women know how their babies first food is breast milk, but it offers several other benefits when used on your baby’s skin as well.
Why A Breast Milk Bath?
Breast milk contains n-6 and n-3 fatty acids (1). These fatty acids play a major role in the growth and development of the baby. But what many moms are not aware of is how it helps the baby’s skin. Your breast milk can help ease the symptoms of any skin conditions that cause skin inflammation. It also works as a barrier and protects sensitive skin (2).
Diaper rashes are fairly common among infants. And there are several diaper rash creams available in the market to combat this condition. But who knew that the remedy to diaper rashes was right at home? A clinical trial which was conducted on 30 infants between 0 to 1 year of age showed that applying breast milk in the affected area helped treat diaper rashes in babies (3).
We all know how mom’s express breast milk and store it in the fridge thinking that their babies will drink it later. But all we are doing is pumping and pumping- no drinking. You cannot force your baby to drink your milk because you spent 15 minutes pumping. So instead of wasting all that precious milk, why not make the most of it?
How To Make A Healing Breast Milk Bath For Your Little One?
Make a breast milk bath for your baby with these 6 simple and easy steps:
- Grab Your Breast Milk: You can use the breast milk which has been stored in the freezer and wait for it to thaw or pump fresh breast milk.
- Run The Water: You can run warm water in the tub to make it more relaxing. Check the temperature of the water by dipping your elbow to make sure that it’s not hot. It doesn’t have to be a tub, you can use the kitchen sink as well.
- Add The Breast Milk: Pour enough breast milk in the tub/sink until it becomes milky/cloudy. You don’t need a lot, but don’t be stingy when pouring breast milk. After all, it didn’t cost you a penny, right? You can be a tad liberal if you like.
- Soak Your Tiny Tot: It’s now time to soak your baby in the bath. Try to soak as much of the baby’s skin as possible. You can also pour the breast milk over the head and dab the face of your baby using your hands.
- Pat Dry: After getting a good soak, take the baby out of the tub/sink and pat dry. But be gentle.
- Use Good Moisturizer: Just like we apply moisturizer after a good shower, your baby needs one too. You can use some coconut oil to lock in the goodness of the breastmilk on your baby’s skin. This way, you can make the most of it.
Now, that didn’t take much effort at all, did it? If only you knew about it before! It might have sounded strange to you at first. But knowing about its benefits, it is the best therapeutic bath you can give your baby every once in a while. Have you tried breast milk bath for your baby? Share us your experience in the comment section below.