All teenagers would have thought about working out at some point. Yet, no matter how much they try, they simply cannot lift their lazy bums off the couch. Being a teenager, you can easily put on weight when all you are doing is binge-watching shows and sitting glued to your laptops and mobile phones. And your teenage years are the best time to start working out. You may not know how to get started on your journey to be fit. And not everyone can afford the luxury of joining a gym or hiring a personal trainer to be your fittest. And if you are someone like me, doing the same exercise every single day will make you bored and lazy. So, here are 8 workouts that teenage girls can do at home or in the garden and still be their fit and fabulous selves:
Lunges are great workouts because they strengthen the lower body, buttocks, legs, and tissues.
You can do a variety of it- front lunges, back lunges, and lateral lunges. Here we explain to you how to do stationary lunges the right way:
- Keep one foot in front of the other.
- Now drop your body straight down.
- Drop low enough, making sure your back leg knee is not touching the ground.
- Make sure that your chest is up and straight.
- You can do 10 lunges on one side.
- Now switch with the other foot forward.
2. Jump Squats
Tones your leg muscles – hamstrings, calves, quadriceps. Here’s how to do one:
- Stand straight and keep your legs apart by taking a wide stance.
- Put your hands out in front of you for balance.
- Now lower your body like you are sitting in a chair.
- Keep your chest up and look forward.
- Do a regular squat and jump up after each squat to burn more calories.
- You can do 10 repetitions of 1-3 sets.
Helps strengthen the core. Follow these steps:
- Lie down on the mat on your belly.
- Now bend your elbows so that they are directly below your shoulders.
- Make sure that they make a right angle from your forearms.
- Now lift your knees from the ground and keep your toes grounded.
- Keep your legs straight, and lift your stomach.
- Your body should be in a straight line from head to toe. Inhale and exhale.
You can also fire up this workout by raising the alternate foot and bringing it back to the same position.
4. Skipping Rope
Great cardio workout, improves bone density and heart health.
Jumping rope can make workouts fun. It doesn’t have to be monotonous. Here’s how to mix up things:
- You can start with the basic and slowly move to the advanced kind of jumps.
- You can do shorter jumps.
- You can raise your knees higher and alternate the jumps with each leg.
- You can do sagittal switches by moving one foot forward in front of the other.
- You can also do frontal switches by widening your feet when you jump.
It’s a great workout to tone your abdomen.
- Lie flat on your mat with your arms back behind your shoulders.
- Now lift your upper body off the ground while lifting up your legs at the same time.
- Lift your legs at a 45-degree angle and stretch your arms towards your feet.
- Continue doing the same by lowering and lifting your body.
- Keep your core and back tight at all times.
- Improves your cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, strengthens the immune system, regulates blood sugar, and makes you happy.
- There are different kinds of aerobic- walking, swimming, running, boxing, or aerobic dance.
- You can join an aerobics class to get a better idea of how to start.
- There are also several simple aerobics exercises available on the internet which you can do at home.
- Tones your whole body, helps you lose weight, improves your heart health, helps you to de-stress and is fun to do.
- It’s a fun way to lose weight if you love to dance.
- You can join a Zumba class in your locality or compile a workout dance routine of your own by surfing the internet.
8. Strength Training
- Strengthens bones and muscles.
- Start by doing a few bodyweight exercises like squats and push-ups and slowly incorporate weights or resistance bands a few times a week.
- You can also do rock climbing and different kinds of yoga.
You don’t have to stick to a single workout. Find a routine which suits you the best by doing different exercises. Working out isn’t only about looking your best, but also feeling your best! So, start off today to find out which exercise you enjoy doing the most.