When you have a baby, you have to be extremely cautious and attentive. But watching them 24×7 is nearly impossible, especially when they are toddlers. They are fast, distracted, playful, and will run away from you at the slightest chance. No matter how prepared you are before your baby arrives, you realize how distracted, curious, and overwhelming they get once they do. Parents feel like they have failed their children if they get hurt and injure themselves. But the truth is that no matter how much you try to take care of your kids or keep an eye on them, they are bound to get injured and hurt. Fret not, because it’s not your fault and you are not alone. Here are some mothers who share their experiences of their kids getting into trouble and hurting themselves.
- “My daughter got burned by boiling water.”
“I had taken my 7-month old daughter Olivia out to eat. I asked the waiter for some water to pour into her feeding bottle. He came back with boiling water, and before I could look, my daughter pulled the napkin on which the water was placed. It spilled all over her, and I had to take off her clothes, soothe her burns with cold water and rush Olivia to the E.R. The doctor said that she had second and third-degree burns and needed surgery.” – Cathy
- “My son spilled hot coffee on himself.”
“We were staying in a cabin in the woods for a weekend getaway. My 2-year-old son reached for the coffee pot that was placed on a low table. It was hot, and by the time I ran up to stop him, he had spilled it all over himself. My husband and I rushed him to the emergency room after we put him under cold water. He had severe burns that had to be treated with surgery. My son is 3 now, and lucky for us, he does not have any scars. But that was a scary incident.” – Jessica
- “My daughter choked on a mobile phone.”
“Not long before my second day back to my work, my daughter Natalie had made the transition to a babysitter who she loved. I put her to bed and just stepped outside to head to work when I realized I had forgotten my phone. By the time I had gone back in, the babysitter was in a state of panic, trying to untangle the mobile cables from my daughter’s neck. My phone had fallen on her face, and the wires had entangled her neck, causing her to choke. Luckily, the babysitter saw this in time and could help Natalie before anything serious happened.” – Andrea
- “My son swallowed a scissor.”
“My husband and I got back from the doctor’s office after Chase’s routine appointment. When we reached home, we noticed that he wasn’t moving and was looking extremely pale. He was stiff and had lost movement in his arms and legs. Terrified, we rushed him back to the hospital, only to realize that Chase had swallowed a pair of foldable scissors while we were at the doctor’s office. The doctors rushed him for surgery, and he was hospitalized for 3 days.” – Sharon
While these stories are terrifying, it is not uncommon to hear them when there is a baby in the house. Not just burns and choking, but toddlers have been brought to the emergency room for falls, cuts, scrapes, and even bumps and bruises.
As parents, you only want what’s best for your baby, so naturally, you would feel like you failed your child when such unfortunate incidents occur. But remember that it’s normal. You have done your best, but toddlers are adventurous and curious little beings. You cannot avoid certain situations, no matter how careful you are. Therefore, do not beat yourself up and remember that you are not alone. It’s every parent’s worst nightmare, but everyone gets through it, and so does your baby!