Getting ready to go back to school after summer vacations is simultaneously worrying and exciting!
As the D-day looms ahead, your kids are excited about going back to school, to new experiences, eager to show off their better selves. At the same time, they are also worried about meeting new teachers, more workload, re-connecting with old friends, and perhaps meet new friends.
On the other hand, you the parent are worried about organizing things for them, following their daily schedule and assisting them with doing their best. It’s the classic cause for that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling!
Don’t worry, to fight these ‘stress butterflies’, below are some back-to-school tips for children and parents, our solution for your dilemma.
10 Back To School Tips For Kids:
Back to school from summer vacation worries should not deter you or your kids from enjoying either the holidays or the impending school days! However, your kids do face these pressures irrespective of whether or not they have enjoyed their summer vacations.
Even kids who have no qualms about going back to school suffer from mild to moderate stress. But worry not, as the tips mentioned below are highly effective in combating them.
1. Understand Your Child’s Anxiety:
They have many fears and worries regarding their subjects of study, friends, class environment, teachers and assignments.
- Your job is to give them support to cope with the fast changing environment.
- The other factor, time, will help them calm down and come to terms with what is happening.
2. Direct Them On The Right Memories:
Make them focus more on the happy aspects of schooling.
- Make your child remember going out with friends, chatting, playing in games classes, meeting new friends, wearing new uniform, etc.
- Remind them of their new lunch box or water bottle. All this leaves a positive impression on their minds and makes them start afresh.
3. Be Vigilant:
Ask your kids what specifically worries them. Encourage them to confide in you and tell you their concerns.
- Explain to them that getting tense on the initial days of school is natural.
- Let them know that there is nothing to worry in the long run. They will soon adjust to the new surroundings and go to the school playfully.
[ Read: Healthy Recipes For Kids ]
4. Be Flexible:
Alter your timetable to help your kids. Spend quality time with them, in spite of your busy schedule.
- During the first few weeks, be with them. If this is difficult, give them your undivided attention in the evenings.
- Your kids may need you during the initial days of school and your presence can help them overcome insecurity and fear.
5. Field Trip!
Organize a visit to the school for your kids before it reopens. Talk to the school authorities, if needed.
- This might help kids to get used to it and reduces their worries. As many of them don’t feel like going back to school.
- They will become aware of the school as their next “home” and mentally prepare themselves to settle in comfortably.
6. Fix Playmates:
Get your kids to connect with their fellow classmates.This decreases their nervousness and makes them friendlier.
- Getting guidance on academics and other concerned subjects then becomes easy.
- Your kids may also be quite eager to go back school once they make good friends.
7. Ensure Sufficient Rest:
The time to stay awake late now must come to end. Tell them to go to bed early every night. Make sure that their room is comfortable.
- Also ensure they have a good breakfast as it increases their attentiveness and helps them do well in school.
- Proper rest and healthy meals are very important for the overall development of your kids.
[ Read: Child Bullying ]
8. List Them All:
Jot down important points for your kids, i.e., stuff they are likely to forget, in a diary.
- These could be things like their locker combination, classroom numbers, bus driver’s name and the timings of classes and breaks.
- Writing down such important stuff steps-up their confidence levels and makes them feel secure.
9. Teach Them Basics:
“Getting ready for school” is an art that has to be taught. Tell your kids to be more disciplined when it comes to packing their bags and preparing their uniforms.
- This ensures that they are not late for school and spares them morning anxiety.
- Knowing that their uniform and bag are all set for the next morning also comforts them the previous night.
[ Read: New Lunch Box ]
10. Health Is Wealth:
Suffering from any physical or mental ailment can cause your kids to perform poorly in academics, sports and co-curricular activities.
- Your kids may have suffered some ailment in the summer hols, make sure they are fully okay now.
- Listen to your kids’ concerns patiently and teach them how to deal with bullies.
10 Back To School Tips For Parents:
The above tips are very helpful in relieving your kids from ‘back to school’ worries. But we have not forgotten you! The following suggestions will help you tremendously to enjoy your kids’ school life without stress.
1. Connect With Your Kid’s School:
A summer vacation leaves a gap in your memory, so rectify it by taking appropriate steps.
- Meet your children’s teachers and other important staff members just before school reopens. Getting to know them in person can help your kids benefit.
- You can request them to observe your kids and inform you about their conduct, as and when required.
[ Read: Parent Teacher Conference ]
2. Get Busy Shopping:
Shop a week prior to your kids going to school.This saves your time and energy.
- Prepare delicious and healthy meals for them so that they can function to the best of their abilities.
- Paying attention to their needs helps you develop as parents and makes them perform better in school.
3. Be Ready:
Keep your kids’ uniforms ready one week earlier. This reduces your anxiety and calms you down.
- You will now feel relaxed, with everything under your control.
- Your kids also feel secure which in turn makes you secure and reduce your worries.
4. Pack In Advance:
Get their school bags packed before.Show them the right way to organize books, stationeries, food items etc.
- Make sure their bags are lightweight; they should not be more than ten to twenty percent of your kid’s weight.
- Also, tell your kids to not hang their bags over their shoulders as doing it could cause health issues.
5. Teach ‘Em Right And Wrong:
Act out various social situations (such as bullying or peer pressure) and see how they react.
- Teach your kids corrective measures and ask them to implement them in case things don’t go as planned.
- All this gives them a fair idea of suitable behavior in school.
[ Read: Raising Children ]
6. Increase Literary Prowess:
Reading is a habit, not a lesson, and home is the best place a child can develop his reading habit.
- Visit a library, as and when possible and let your children read magazines and novels.
- This boosts their literary skills and improves their performance in school.
7. Teach Them How:
Introduce constructive study practices to your kids. Limit them to a particular area of study in the evenings.
- Do not let your kids’ study area be near the living room or TV corner.
- Make your kids study every day, even for an hour, so that they can answer questions when asked by their teachers.
8. Involve In School Activities:
Participate in PTA meets and similar school activities. This way, you can enhance your kids’ personalities and grow them into strong individuals.
- Try and be a part of the faculty staff of the school and teach few students.
- Build strong connections with other kids and ask them to be friends with your kids.
9. Share School Material:
Inspect the school material as soon as it is sent to you.
- It contains important data regarding your kids’ room number, teachers, school calendar dates, school supply needs, etc.
- Inform your kids about the same and share them with them. This helps them feel safe and comfortable.
10. Cut Back T.V:
While helping them join school after the vacations, don’t allow them to watch T.V.
- Instead, ask them to do flash cards and puzzles or read and color.
- These intellectual activities bring them in the mood to study and enhance their academic skills.
The above tips for you and your kids are highly efficient in reducing anxiety. When your kids go back to school, they need to adjust with the new surroundings. Keep your anxiety at bay and look at everything with a positive eye.
[ Read: Impact Of Tv On Children ]
Functioning normally and enjoying life are the best alternatives. Guide them towards being more reasonable, optimistic and focused, so that they experience school with joy.
Please feel free to share your own back to school advice for kids with us.
- 10 Habits Parents Should Teach Their Children For School
- 4 Simple Things Parents Can Do For A Child’s Development
- 8 Simple & Easy Tips For Raising Your Kids Right
Latest posts by Chirag De (see all)
- Top 10 Back To School Tips For Parents & Kids - July 7, 2014
- 5 Different Child Behavior Charts & Their Benefits - June 9, 2014
- Top 10 Reading Tips For Parents - May 8, 2014