A platonic friendship indicates extreme closeness between two people who are not dating or sexually involved with each other. It is the purest form of fondness that keeps the bond unbreakable and is not built on any form of societal pressure. The friendship has different dimensions, ranging from people having same-sex to opposite-sex friends. Let’s know more about platonic friendship, its boundaries and benefits in this post.
Boundaries Of A Platonic Friendship
As much as it is an absolute pleasure to have a platonic friend, it may get messy if some basic restrictions or boundaries are not laid down.
- Be careful about the things you choose to discuss. Don’t let the conversation lead to gossip around your partners.
- Avoid any form of physical contact as much as possible. Keep it casual and not intimate.
- Do not ditch your partner for a platonic friend. Plan your time in a way that does not revolve only around your friend. Respecting each other’s private space says a lot about the kind of bond you share.
- Do not hide your friendship from your partner. It is never a good idea to keep your platonic friendship a secret from your better half. In fact, letting them get to know each other gives a clearer picture of your friendship.
- Allow each other space to maintain a healthy friendship. Even plenty of space is not a bad idea at times. A clingy friend often turns the relationship into a toxic space that you would not want.
- Maintain a balance between your platonic friendship and your relationship with your partner and other friends.
Benefits Of A Platonic Friendship
A platonic friendship is liberating and soulful that strengthens over time.
- It plays a major role in protecting your romantic relationships. A platonic friendship gives a space where you know you can trust the other person when sharing your thoughts.
- A platonic friend is additional support. They make you feel secure and come with mutual respect and loyalty outside of a romantic relationship.
- A platonic friendship is not built on social norms, and hence, it is not pressurizing.
- There are little to no expectations or commitments.
- A platonic friendship is meant to be passionate and stable, with no fear of a breakup.
- It also gives you a platform to explore yourself.
How To Make Platonic Friendship Work?
Here are a few tips for platonic friends to maintain a healthy relationship.
- Accept: You need to accept your platonic friendship is different from other friendships. There are no rules and obligations in a platonic friendship, and that’s how it is a nontoxic bond.
- Don’t compare: To maintain a healthy relationship, do not draw comparisons between your friend and your partner. It could lead to unresolvable and complex issues.
- Be supportive: Sometimes, a partner might not understand your friend. That’s when they need you to be on their side. Help them but do not be judgmental about each other’s partners.
- Set boundaries: Don’t cross your emotional limits—if you do, you are no longer a part of the platonic friendship. Be open about your values and opinions with your platonic friend, so you have a healthy relationship.
- Build trust: The core of a platonic friendship is trust. Keep their secret safe and let them know you will always be there for them, no matter what.
- Make it uncomplicated: That’s how a platonic friendship is all about—it is unique, free from promises and conditions. So, keep the communication smooth with your platonic friendship and keep confusion at bay.
A platonic friendship has a charm that no other relationship can offer. It’s neither being ‘just friends’ or ‘beyond friends.’ All you need is respect and loyalty to make the bond everlasting. Do not expect anything in return from your platonic friend and go with the flow. Sooner or later, you will cherish it as one of the beautiful relationships ever.