A delayed or missed period raises the question: ‘Am I pregnant?’ When you are trying to conceive and want to know the result without using a pregnancy test kit or going to a hospital, you can try the bleach home pregnancy test.
Read this MomJunction post to know more about this home pregnancy test and how it works.
What Is A Bleach Pregnancy Test?
A bleach test is a traditional, convenient, and inexpensive method to determine whether or not you are pregnant. If you are shy about buying a pregnancy kit from the pharmacy or you do not wish to visit a clinic, this test can be a handy option for you to try at home.
Is The Bleach Pregnancy Test Accurate?
It cannot be said that the bleach pregnancy test is 100% accurate. However, it might give you the right result if you try it around five to ten days after you missed a period when the hCG levels can be detected in the urine (1). In case your result is negative and you still haven’t got your periods, you can try the test again.
Read on to know the science behind this home-based pregnancy test.
How Does It Work?
Once the embryo is planted in the uterus, the placenta produces a hormone called hCG or human chorionic gonadotropin. This hormone is found in the urine of pregnant women. Hence, the presence of this hormone is considered to be a sign of pregnancy (2).
When hCG in the urine and bleach (sodium hypochlorite) are mixed, froth or bubbles are formed indicating that you are pregnant. If there is no reaction when the urine comes into contact with bleach, it suggets the absence of hCG, which means you are not pregnant. The type or quality of bleach you use may also influence the results of this test.
[ Read: Sugar Pregnancy Test ]
Which Bleach To Use For This Test?
You can use the standard bleach that you use for cleaning or other purposes at home. Do not use industrial-grade bleach or colored and scented bleach as these may have certain chemicals that could tamper the results.
The Bleach Pregnancy Test Procedure
You would require:
- Standard bleach
- Two cups for the test, mark them as cup A and cup B
- A sample of urine (fresh)
Follow this step-by-step approach to perform the test:
Step 1: Take a fresh urine sample in cup A. Fill 1/4th of the cup, ideally by urinating directly into the cup.
Step 2: Add bleach in cup B, about 1/4th of the cup. Make sure you are using a disposable spoon to add the bleach and not reusable cutlery used for eating, as bleach is is toxic and may remain on the spoon even after washing.
Step 3: Pour bleach from cup B into the cup that has urine. See that you are doing it slowly while giving time for the mixture to react
Step 4: Wait for a few minutes to observe the reaction.
Based on the reaction, you can know whether the result is positive or negative.
Interpreting Bleach Pregnancy Test Results
Positive bleach pregnancy test: If you find any fizz or froth in the reaction, it means the result is positive and you are expecting.
Negative bleach pregnancy test: If there is no reaction, it is negative and you are not pregnant.
Besides being simple to take, this test is also popular for other reasons. Find out what makes this test ideal for women.
Why Is The Bleach Pregnancy Test So Popular?
The bleach pregnancy test preferred by many because it is:
- Cost-effective: There is no doubt that the pregnancy test with bleach is affordable, considering that you are using the things that are readily available at home.
- Quick results: This is also one of the top reasons why many women perform a bleach test. You do not have to go anywhere or wait for hours to get the results. All you have to do is take the test, and your result will appear right then and there.
- Convenient: There are no hassles of buying a pregnancy kit or driving to the clinic. No pregnancy test can be more convenient than this.
However, a lot of you may be thinking about its safety.
[ Read: Homemade (DIY) Pregnancy Tests To Try ]
Is Bleach Pregnancy Test A Safe Option?
Yes, provided you are doing it with caution. The bleach pregnancy test is a simple method to know whether you are pregnant or not. However, it is essential to be careful while performing the test as it might release some fumes.
What Precautions To Take During The Bleach Pregnancy Test?
Here are a few precautions you need to know:
- Do not drink too much water or other fluids before taking the test as the hCG levels in the urine can be diluted with excess fluids.
- It is easy to detect the hCG levels either in the early morning urine or in the urine which has been in the bladder for about 4 hours (1).
- Make sure you are performing the test as instructed only.
Next, we answer a few commonly asked questions about this test.
Frequently Answered Questions:
1. Can taking health supplements lead to a false result?
No, because the supplements that may have hCG are not legally available in the market. So there is no chance of any supplements interfering with the hCG levels in the urine, to give a false result (3).
2. Can the bleach pregnancy test give a false positive?
Yes, it might happen if you are taking any medications prescribed under fertility treatments. These medications contain hCG, which when mixed with urine may cause bubbles or fizz thus giving a false positive result (4).
The bleach pregnancy test is a conveniently good option if the time is right and you do not want to wait long to know if you are pregnant. Regardless of what the result is, we recommend that you consult a doctor if you think you’re experiencing any early signs of pregnancy.
Have you tried the bleach pregnancy test? Let us know about your experiences in the comments section below.
2. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG); Michigan Medicine: University of Michigan (2018)
3. HCG Diet Products Are Illegal; U.S. Food & Drug Administration (2018)
4. HCG (Blood): Health Encyclopedia; University of Rochester Medical Center
- Urine Pregnancy Test At Home
- False Positive Home Pregnancy Test
- When Is The Best Time To Take A Pregnancy Test
- What Is A False Negative Pregnancy Test
Latest posts by Shikha Thakur (see all)
- 15 Signs Your Ex Still Has Feelings For You - October 19, 2019
- How To Make Long Distance Relationship Work: 21 Useful Tips - October 18, 2019
- 101 Divorce Quotes To Move On In Life - October 18, 2019
- How To Rebuild Trust After Cheating: 15 Helpful Tips - October 18, 2019
- 101 Toxic Relationship Quotes That Give You Strength To Move On - October 7, 2019
- Couple Sleeping Positions And What They Are Said To Mean - October 4, 2019
- What to do when your husband ignores you? - October 4, 2019
- How to make him miss you: 21 best tips to try - October 3, 2019
- How To Build An Interdependent Relationship With Your Partner? - October 3, 2019
- 15 Signs You May Need A Divorce - October 1, 2019