Prescription stimulants like Adderall are used in the treatment of ADHD and narcolepsy (1). New moms with breastfeeding infants may be prescribed this medicine in some cases.
But is it safe to take Adderall while breastfeeding, considering that it can pass into breast milk and reach the infant? MomJunction tells you about the safety of this drug, it possible side effects on the mother and the baby.
What Is Adderall?
Adderall is a combination of two nervous system stimulant drugs namely amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. It belongs to the central nervous system stimulant drug category. There are several variants of the medicine, including those that release instantly into the system and those that release over an extended duration (Adderall XR).
Why May A Breastfeeding Mother Need Adderall?
Adderall is prescribed to individuals with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The compounds amphetamine and dextroamphetamine present in the drug mimic dopamine, epinephrine (also called adrenaline), and norepinephrine, which are naturally occurring neurotransmitters of the body.
Adderall imitates the functions of these compounds and suppresses the symptoms of ADHD. It makes you more alert, improves clarity of thought, and helps you focus better (2).
Is It Safe To Have Adderall During Breastfeeding?
Dr. Thomas Hale, the author of Medications and Mothers’ Milk, says that clinical doses of dextroamphetamine (one of the drugs in Adderall) is “Probably safe”, but it could be hazardous when abused (3). However, caution is required while on Adderall and breastfeeding, because there is limited research on the safety of maternal Adderall usage on the health of the baby (4)(5).
Lack of enough evidence on the safety of the drug and its potential for abuse prevent several healthcare providers from recommending Adderall during lactation. The US FDA recommends mothers taking amphetamines to refrain from breastfeeding (1).
What Are The Side Effects Of Adderall ?
Side effects of Adderall vary from the common ones to more serious ones.
Common side effects of Adderall:
The common side effects can occur with any dosage of the medicine (1)
- Decreased appetite
Serious side effects of Adderall
Severe side effects may usually occur with an overdose or abuse of Adderall (1).
- Seizures in people with a history of seizures
- Eyesight change or blurred vision
- Seratonin syndrome
Most people who have Adderall for a long time may be able to cope with some of the side effects over time. It is the side effects on the breastfeeding infant that are a matter of significance.
What Are The Side Effects Of Adderall On A Breastfeeding Baby?
There isn’t extensive research on how Adderall affects a breastfeeding infant. Amphetamine can get concentrated in breast milk with levels reaching seven times of that found in blood (1). Maternal intake of the drug can find its way into the infant’s blood and urine too.
A study suggests that small and standard dosage of Adderall does not usually have any effect on the infant’s health(7).
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Committee reports that animal studies on long-term exposure to amphetamine showed cases of hypertension, tachycardia and seizures in infants. As there are no human studies to prove this, the AAP recommends to avoid drugs containing amphetamines during breastfeeding.
When Can You Breastfeed After An Adderall Dose?
Some mothers may wish to avoid Adderall entirely during lactation, to prevent the risk of exposure to the baby. However, it puts the mother at risk of a relapse of the ADHD symptoms.
You may try these tips, should you decide to avoid Adderall.
- Look for alternatives: Your doctor can prescribe alternatives that are safer than Adderall for your breastfed infant. The choice of alternatives depends on the extent of your condition and your current Adderall dosage.
- Adjust your dose to the bare minimum: If it is imperative to have Adderall, then discuss with your doctor about adjusting the dose to the bare minimum level. It can let you receive the therapeutic advantages of the medicine without causing any adverse effects to the health of your breastfeeding baby.
Breast milk is the best food for an infant but the mother’s health is equally important. Talk to your doctor about your dilemma, and follow their advice as they will advise you based on your individual condition.
Have something to share about Adderall while breastfeeding? Leave us your comments in the section below.
This post is for informational purposes only and is not a replacement for a doctor’s consultation. Do not use any medication without talking to your doctor.
- Is It Safe To Take Antibiotics While Breastfeeding?
- Painkillers While Breastfeeding
- Sleeping Pills While Breastfeeding
- Can You Take Amoxicillin While Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by sanjana lagudu (see all)
- What is Sole Custody and when does a parent get it? - October 3, 2019
- 10 Unique gender-reveal party ideas - September 17, 2019
- 101 Best Father And Son Quotes - September 4, 2019
- 8 things that happen during the first six months of a relationship - August 30, 2019
- 25 Best 6th wedding anniversary gift ideas - August 29, 2019
- 15 Things That Are Most Important In a Relationship - August 28, 2019
- What is True love and what does it feel like? - August 27, 2019
- 84 Cute Ways To Say I Love You - August 27, 2019
- 10 Signs You are in a Love-hate Relationship - August 7, 2019
- 30 Special Wedding Anniversary gifts for parents - August 6, 2019