Do you love fruits? Did you know that you should avoid certain fruits while you are breastfeeding? If you are someone who loves fruits and can’t stop eating them, then you need to read our post. Here we list some common fruits to avoid while breastfeeding.
Maternity and childbirth are life changing experiences. Most women follow a strict diet during their pregnancy to ensure the baby’s health. But, it does not end here. As long you are lactating, you need to follow a proper diet and lifestyle, essential to the growth and well-being of your little angel.
Fruits To Avoid While Breastfeeding:
When you are breastfeeding, you aren’t as rigid about your diet, as you were during pregnancy. However, a proper and a healthy diet is highly desirable as it has a direct effect on your breast milk. Many a time, there is a possibility that your infant may fall ill or contract allergies due to your improper diet. Infections and microbes remain in your breast milk and pass into your infant’s body. While your diet is all about making sufficient quality and quantity of milk, you should avoid some types of foods.
Doctors typically advise breastfeeding moms to include two bowls of fruits in their daily diet, as fruits are rich in essential minerals and other nutrients. Fruits help provide extra nourishment to your baby through your milk. However, not all fruits have similar advantages, especially when you are breastfeeding. Remember that your baby’s health will directly depend on your diet.
Here we list some fruits to avoid while breastfeeding for you and your little one’s well-being.
[ Read: Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
1. Citrus Fruits:
Juicy, tangy and incredibly tasty is how you would describe most citrus fruits. Citrus fruits are some of the most popular fruits, and they form a major part of your fruit basket. However, as a lactating mom, you need to avoid citrus fruits and their juices at all costs.
Citrus fruits include fruits like lime, kiwi fruits, strawberries, pineapples, oranges, and grapes. Many-a-time, citrus fruits lend a pungent flavor to your breast milk. Some babies might object to the taste of it, and get fussy while consuming it. Other babies may vomit. Sometimes, your baby may also develop diaper rashes as a result of the citrus content in breast milk. Citrus fruits contain many acidic compounds and can lead to irritation of the gastrointestinal tract (GI) in children.
[ Read: Best Fruits To Eat While Breastfeeding ]
2. Cherries And Prunes:
Apart from citrus fruits, make sure you don’t consume any cherries, prunes or berries. Cherries may sometimes create gas problems for your little one. Moreover, it is quite common for newborn babies to suffer from gas due to their newly developing digestive system.
In case you notice any of the above symptoms, give up on the citrus fruits, cherries, and prunes immediately before you consult a pediatrician. However, if you are breastfeeding, make sure you consume a wholesome diet.
[ Read: Best Foods For Breastfeeding Moms ]
What Fruits To Eat?
Now that you know what fruits to avoid during breastfeeding let’s understand what options that leaves you. Well, to replace citrus fruits, include fruits like mango and papaya, which will help you maintain Vitamin C levels in your body, without the obtrusive citric acid and its nasty side effects.
[ Read: Apple Juice While Breastfeeding ]
So remember to consult your pediatrician to understand the best diet for your little one. Do you know of any other fruit to avoid while breastfeeding? Share your valuable opinion here. Leave a comment.
- 5 Ways To Control Food Cravings While Breastfeeding
- Is It Safe To Eat Onions While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Eat Oranges While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Consume Colic Foods During Breastfeeding?
Latest posts by Harini Santhosh (see all)
- 4 Types Of Metabolic Disorders In Children - June 2, 2015
- Eczema In Teens – Causes, Symptoms And Remedies - May 29, 2015
- Dysphagia In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - May 29, 2015
- Ingrown Toenail In Toddlers – Everything You Need To Know - May 25, 2015
- Tooth Discoloration In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - May 25, 2015
- 2 Common Fruits You Should Avoid While Breastfeeding - May 18, 2015
- 6 Positive And 4 Negative Effects Of Social Media On Children - May 15, 2015
- Detox Diet For Teens – Everything You Need To Know - April 29, 2015
- Supplementing Breastfeeding With Formula - Is It Ok? - April 22, 2015
- Meningitis In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - April 22, 2015