Are you an insomniac? Do you suffer from sleepless nights? Are you on Ambien and are wondering whether is it safe to take ambien while breastfeeding? Our post here will tell you all that you need to know about Ambien and its effect on breastfeeding.
Research says that about 95% women experience disturbed sleep during pregnancy. While not all women have serious sleep disturbances, some of them may have to take medical help for peaceful sleep. Ambien or Zolpidem is the most common cure for sleep disorders during pregnancy.
Why Ambien While Breastfeeding?
Ambien is a sleep-inducing agent. Although the drug does not help maintain sleep, it is an effective sleep-initiating agent. Ambien has anticonvulsant and relaxant properties that help induce sleep. However, an overdose of Ambien can lead to potentially harmful side effects like hallucinations and amnesia.
Ambien rarely affects breastfeeding women negatively. Doctors typically prescribe a 2-6 week course of the tablets to help treat insomnia in women. Ambien is the safest sleep-inducing agent for lactating moms.
Side Effects Of Ambien While Nursing:
Ambien can lead to many side effects, which include:
- Sleep eating syndrome
- A headache and withdrawal
- Difficulty in maintaining balance
- Sleepwalking in rare cases
- Might impair driving skills and lead to road accidents.
- If you are a breastfeeding mom who likes to drive, avoid doing so if you are on Ambien.
- An overdose might increase the risk of falling and induce cognitive defects (1).
There are many instances where moms stop breastfeeding their infants, as they are on Ambien medication. Breastfeeding is not only a beautiful experience for you, but for your little one as well. Breast milk is the safest milk for an infant. It protects the infant from many diseases. Most medicines are safe during breastfeeding, only a few have adverse effects. You don’t have to stop breastfeeding your infant in most cases.
Recommended Dose Of Ambien During Breastfeeding:
The recommended dose of Ambien is 5-10 mg. Any overdose may induce breathing problems or irregular heartbeat. You might need to see the doctor if you feel dizzy. If you have a tendency to sleepwalk, make sure you avoid using Ambien. Studies say at 70mg the effects of Ambien can get worse. Make sure that you swallow the pill and not ingest in any other way.
Tolerance And Withdrawal:
When you develop tolerance to a drug, doctors typically resort to dose reduction over a few months, to help ease you back to normal and minimize the withdrawal symptoms.
Is Ambien Safe During Breastfeeding?
Ambien provides considerable relief for moms who suffer from irregular sleeping patterns. Your breast milk does not contain a high amount of Ambien. So, you can safely continue using Ambien during breastfeeding while breastfeeding.
You need to get a good sleep to take care of the infant. It is one of the most important and relaxing activities while lactating. Sleepless nights can trigger irritation, mood swings, get you riled up and screaming bloody murder. Sleep is crucial, as it helps repair the blood vessels and heart. Sleep deficiency can increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart diseases, diabetes and even stroke.
Every mom’s need of sleep varies, an eight-hour sleep is considered good and sufficient for breastfeeding moms. As you will go through many emotional and physical changes after pregnancy, you need to rest well so that you can adapt to these changes easily.
If you have any other information about ambien nursing considerations, please share the information below. Fellow moms would love to hear from you. Leave a comment here.
- Is It Safe To Take Antibiotics While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Consume Lansoprazole While You Are Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Use Benzoyl Peroxide While Breastfeeding?
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wellbutrin (Buproprion) For Breastfeeding Mothers
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Marfan Syndrome In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Is It Safe To Take Dandelion Tea During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Can You Eat Banana While Breastfeeding? - November 3, 2015
- How To Set Boundaries For Teenagers? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Shrimp When Breastfeeding? - October 31, 2015
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Complications - October 27, 2015
- The Christmas Story For Kids - Birth Of Jesus Christ - October 25, 2015
- What Is Prosocial Behaviour & When Should You Intervene? - October 16, 2015