Sand play is fun-filled and enthralling. When filling a sandbox, you cannot use old sand as it could be harmful to your children. There are plenty of options of sand for the sandbox. However, not every sand would offer a fun-filled playing experience. With various textures, extensive quantities, and vibrant colors, your children can get involved in the action of developing fine motor skills. So, here is a compilation of some of the best sand for sandboxes that you can consider buying.
Top Products From Our List
Benefits Of Sand Play
Sand play is advantageous for children for several reasons.
- Offers hours of fun learning as your child gets to learn various names and shapes of structures made from sand.
- Improves language abilities, communication skills and social skills.
- Improves chances of learning about proprioceptive senses as they get completely immersed into the sand; thus, understanding the body relative to space.
- Lets your child develop fine motor skills as they use tools to dig, bury and build in the sand.
Types Of Sand For Sandbox
Different types of sand can be used to fill up a sandbox.
- Natural sand: It typically comes from the desert or the beach, and forms naturally from small, eroded rocks. Because of this formation, this sand type is coarser than others. Generally, manufacturers wash and filter the sand before sending it for packaging.
- Processed sand: This one is made in quarries and gravel pits. With thorough washing and filtering, the sand is made safe for kids.
- Kinetic sand: It is coated with polydimethylsiloxane, a silicone-based, nontoxic organic polymer used in soft clay products. With this coating, the sand sticks together; thus, forming a moldable composition for building in the sand without any water requirements.
11 Best Sand For Sandboxes
Ideal for childcare centers and early childhood classrooms, this play sand helps create castles or sculptures by adding a little water. This one is ideal for indoor and outdoor play. Molds will be great when moist. The sand is environmental-friendly and contains no quartz and silica.
- Devoid of unwanted chemicals
- Has soft texture
- Naturally occurring sparkle
- Minimal fine particle content
- May not be clean
Made from natural sand, this one is non-toxic, hypoallergenic kinetic sand. It is free of casein, gluten, and wheat. Ideal for children aged three and above, this playset offers endless construction fun. You get everything needed to create a construction site. The playset comes with 2lb brown kinetic sand, a dump truck with brick molds in the back, a brick platform, a folding sandbox, a working crane with a wrecking ball, bucket attachments, and an instruction sheet.
- Easy-to-separate sand
- Easy to clean
- Enclosed construction-themed play space
- May create a lot of mess
- Truck parts may fall soon
Moldable, safe, and mess-free, this off-white sand doesn’t dry out when shaped, sliced, or molded. The sand sticks to itself and not on any other material; hence, it is easy to clean. Moreover, it is 100% non-toxic. It can stimulate the creative, educational, and sensory skills of your child while letting them have fun. The pack includes an inflatable sandbox tray that makes everything convenient.
- Relaxes and de-stresses people of all ages
- Can also be used as a fidget toy
- Squishable, squeezable, and stretchable
- 98% non-toxic and 2% polymer wax
- Does not get wet
- May not be mixed with regular sand
Magical and safe, this play sand has the fluidity, texture, and plasticine plasticity of ordinary sand. It also has the culpability and cleavability of toy sand. Durable, it is made of 100% non-toxic and eco-friendly material; and is safe to play with. The sand kit comprises moving sand, cleaning tools, dyno molds, sandbox, dinosaur toy, etc..
- Includes 38 different sand accessories
- Inflation-free and mess-free
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Comfortable and motivates imagination and creativity
- Accessories may not be durable
- May not stick adequately
With 50lb sand in one bag, you can choose this option if you want to make concrete or fill the sandbox of your child. This play sand is ideal for building and molding. To ensure safety, the sand has been screened, washed, and dried appropriately.
- Non-dusty sand
- Fine option to play with
- Soft to touch
- May not be 100% safe
With 3lb of sand in red, blue, and original colors, the moving sand has the fluidity and texture of ordinary sand. The entire kit consists of amazing 46-piece accessories to play with. You will get ten dinosaur figures, five fake trees, and ten dino molds to build a mini dinosaur world. If not, you can also build a castle with five sand tools and six castle molds. You will also receive small dummy accessories, shovel, footprint roller, foldable sandbox, etc.
- Helps develop eye-hand coordination
- Improves finger flexibility
- Enhances imagination and creativity
- A free foldable sandbox that can be folded and unfolded within seconds
- Sand may not be sufficient for the entire box
- May not be durable
Designed for outdoor and indoor play areas and sandboxes, this helps children build and mold as per their imagination. This play sand helps your little one promote spatial awareness, kinesthetics and creativity. The sand can be grated, washed, and refined.
- Clean and devoid of smell
- Durable bucket
- May not mold well
- Would have to stay wet to play
Non-toxic and sustainable, this play sand is quartz-, dust- and silica-free. This is an ideal play material safe for your children. Harvested from the crystal-clear oceans of The Bahamas, this play sand doesn’t have any impurities or harmful organics. It has a round and smooth texture and is uniform in grain size.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor play
- Easily moldable
- Could be powdery
- May create a lot of mess
The set consists of five pounds non-toxic sand in blue, green, pink, purple, orange, yellow, red, and white. With the help of plastic molds, you can create a seal life to develop an underwater adventure. The sand can cling together and hold the shape, letting you create beautiful art. Furthermore, the sand set offers sensory and tactile stimulation while helping children develop creative and motor skills.
- Includes qualitative tray constructed of thick cardboard
- Helps prevent tearing and ripping when playing
- Cute and attractive set
- Non-messy sand
- Figurines are made of glass
- Moldings are relatively thin
Premium, soft, and easy to mold, the sand has been grated, washed, and dried cautiously to ensure it is 100% safe and non-toxic. It is ideal for early learning during outdoor and indoor play sessions. Inspiring imagination and creativity, the sand is for indoor arts and crafts, sand table, and kid’s sandbox. Moreover, it helps keep children mentally and physically engaged and active.
- Stimulates hand-eye coordination
- Adequate for sand tray therapy or sensory activities
- Child-friendly for dry and wet use
- Natural and safe
- Could be extremely dry
- Might be difficult to pack
With up to 40 vibrant sand colors, this collection offers a perfect fun-filled experience for terrarium sand, sand art, craft sand, and play sand. A 250g packed in a jar lets you seamlessly store the sand for future projects. It is UV-stable, non-clumping, and non-toxic; hence, safe for use and will not fade in the light. With no polymers, the sand offers endless craft and exciting timing.
- Natural, organic, and kid-friendly
- Non-clumping sand that flows easily
- Well-packaged in a jar
- Can endure direct heat and sunlight
- Quantity could be less
How To Choose The Right Sand For Sandbox?
When buying sand for sandbox, here are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Type: Consider the one that matches your requirements. Whether natural sand, kinetic sand, or processed sand, know their qualities before moving ahead.
- Texture: The texture of the sand is divided into three options. Make sure the option you choose has a soft texture, is easier to clean, and doesn’t make any mess.
- Color: There are plenty of color options available, including purple, yellow, blue, green, and red. Choose the one that looks good to your eyes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much sand do I need for my sandbox?
To figure out the sand volume for the sandbox, follow these steps:
- Measure the width and length of the sandbox. If your sandbox is circular, measure its diameter.
- Decide on how deeper you want the sand to settle. Accordingly, choose the right amount.
- Use the sandbox’s height, width, and length to figure out the volume (volume = length x width x height). For a circular sandbox, use the formula-volume = πr2h, where π is equal to 3.14, r is the radius, and h is the height of the sand.
2. How often should I change the sand in a sandbox?
Depending on how frequently your children use the sandbox, you can change the sand every one or two years.
Besides molding various shapes, you can teach your children to get engaged in playing with toys and trucks in the sand, drawing, and treasure hunting. The above list could help you choose the best sand for the sandbox.