Grapes are a rich source of antioxidants and potassium. Though they are a good source of vitamin C, you may be wondering whether it is safe to consume grapes during breastfeeding (1).
Consuming grapes while breastfeeding is not known to cause any side effects in the baby or the mother. Instead, it has several health benefits, such as regulating blood pressure and digestion. However, if you notice symptoms such as stomach aches in your baby, consult your doctor to know whether grapes could cause such aches.
Read on as we provide you with more information about consuming grapes while breastfeeding, its health benefits, and possible side effects.
Can You Eat Grapes While Breastfeeding?
Grapes are highly nutritious fruits that do not have any known side effects while you are breastfeeding. Consuming grapes while breastfeeding also protects infants from colic (2).
Things To Keep In Mind While Eating Grapes While Breastfeeding:
It is important to have a healthy and well-balanced meal while you are breastfeeding, as you what you eat (or don’t eat) may affect your baby’s health and taste preference. If you are interested in eating grapes during breastfeeding, make sure to keep the following points in mind:
- As with anything you eat or drink while breastfeeding, make sure you speak to your doctor first and only eat grapes once you have confirmation.
- Eating grapes while breastfeeding can sometimes cause stomach upsets in your baby. If you are eating grapes when breastfeeding, make sure you do not eat any other fruit for at least two to three days. It will help you notice any change in your baby’s stool or general behavior. If your baby does develop an upset tummy or pain, and if you have had no other fruit or new food except grapes, you will know for sure if it was caused by eating grapes.
- If your baby is showing signs of colic, it is important for you to monitor everything that you eat while breastfeeding and note its effect on her. Apply the same rule; when you are eating grapes for the first time while breastfeeding, stay away from eating any other fruits or new foods. It will give you time to note if eating grapes increases your baby’s discomfort or colic.
- Whenever you eat grapes while breastfeeding, make sure you do so in moderation. While eating a few grapes should not be a cause for concern, too much of anything can cause problems, and the same applies to eating grapes.
[ Read: Best Fruits To Eat While Breastfeeding ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Grapes:
Once your doctor has given you the go-ahead to eat grapes while breastfeeding, start eating them in moderation to enjoy the following health benefits (3):
- Protects Against Cancer:
Grapes are loaded with powerful antioxidants that are known as polyphenols. They help to slow down and even prevent the onset of different types of cancer, including cancer of the mouth, colon, prostate, lungs and even pancreas.
- Protects Against Diabetes
The glycemic index number in grapes is low, which helps keep the blood sugar levels in control.
[ Read: Colic Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
- Lowers Cholesterol
Grapes contain plenty of fiber that makes them a good choice to reduce high cholesterol in the body.
- Regulates Blood Pressure:
Grapes are rich in their potassium content that helps to keep your blood pressure in check.
- Relieves Constipation:
The high water content in grapes helps to keep you hydrated and prevents constipation, which is a common occurrence during and after pregnancy.
Eating grapes during breastfeeding is good for you and your baby’s health because they have several nutritional benefits. The fruit is known to lower cholesterol, regulate blood pressure, and relieve constipation in mothers. In most cases, consuming grapes in moderation does not cause any side effects in babies. On the contrary, they are known to protect from colic. However, if you notice any discomfort in your baby after breastfeeding, consult your doctor. Also, monitor your diet for a few days to check whether grapes or other food causes discomfort.
- Grapes red or green (European type such as Thompson seedless) raw
- Does maternal diet affect infantile colic?
- 10 Health Benefits of Grapes.
- Is It Safe To Eat Spicy Food During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe For A Breastfeeding Mom To Eat Honey?
- Is It Safe To Eat Onions While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Drink Coconut Water While Breastfeeding?